Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Where do you guys buy parts? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121403)

LudwigMiles 08-20-2017 02:06 PM

Where do you guys buy parts?
 
For my other cars, I never buy parts at the dealer. (ripoff) I also don't buy generic parts from auto parts stores (Duralast, etc)
Instead, I buy from online vendors like FCPEuro that sell OE branded parts like Sachs, Lemforder, Mahle, Seimens/VDO, etc.

Is there something like that for Subaru?
Do you guys buy OEM caliber stuff at the dealer?

86geek 08-20-2017 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LudwigMiles (Post 2965292)
For my other cars, I never buy parts at the dealer. (ripoff) I also don't buy generic parts from auto parts stores (Duralast, etc)
Instead, I buy from online vendors like FCPEuro that sell OE branded parts like Sachs, Lemforder, Mahle, Seimens/VDO, etc.

Is there something like that for Subaru?
Do you guys buy OEM caliber stuff at the dealer?

Look at vendor list in this site. ;)
86speed.com
Ft86speedfactory
Rallysport
Kamispeed

jdmblood 08-20-2017 03:23 PM

ft86speedfactory

StraightOuttaCanadaEh 08-20-2017 03:37 PM

86worx, ebay, aliexpress

LudwigMiles 08-20-2017 07:28 PM

Quote:

86speed.com
Ft86speedfactory
Rallysport
Kamispeed
ft86speedfactory
I am specifically talking about OEM style parts.
I am not interested in buying performance upgrades.

For example, is there a benefit to buying like an alternator from these vendors over a dealer?
Would sites like that a basic Bosch or Denso alternator? Is it like half the cost of the dealer?

86geek 08-20-2017 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LudwigMiles (Post 2965385)
I am specifically talking about OEM style parts.
I am not interested in buying performance upgrades.

For example, is there a benefit to buying like an alternator from these vendors over a dealer?
Would sites like that a basic Bosch or Denso alternator? Is it like half the cost of the dealer?

Look on different Toyota dealerships across the USA. Some OEM parts can be cheaper than your local dealership. ;) google is your friend. :popcorn:

Shinigami301 08-21-2017 08:10 AM

Depends on the dealer. Mine price matches internet Toyota dealers. Keep in mind shipping costs as well.

mrspindlelegs 08-21-2017 10:25 AM

Right now, I buy basic maintenance items like filters and the one-time drain plug gasket at the Dealership but only because the car is still under the powertrain warranty (will hit 60k miles before 5 years around next Summer). Currently going to FT86speedfactory for aftermarket parts (ARP wheel studs). Once the warranty runs out, I'll have to do more searching to see who else to buy basic maintenance items from (might end-up being Rock Auto or local parts stores like O'Reillys).

NOI 08-21-2017 10:59 AM

I use rock auto for a lot of stuff. Insanely good prices. Hey deal in name brands and generics. For instance, they sell Bosch alternators for our cars...to use your example.

My WIX oil filters are about $3 from them. Bosch wiper blades are like $7, etc.

LudwigMiles 08-21-2017 11:42 AM

Right, so RockAuto is one place that sells "basic" parts. Any others?

There is no way I want to buy overpriced parts from a dealership.
For my other cars, dealer parts are literally triple the price.

VIP BRZ 08-21-2017 12:09 PM

Why do you need an alternator?

extrashaky 08-21-2017 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LudwigMiles (Post 2965683)
Right, so RockAuto is one place that sells "basic" parts. Any others?

Having purchased a lot of stuff from them, I'd say to be careful with Rock Auto. Occasionally it will look like they have the best price, yet the shipping charges will bump it up more than a site with free shipping.

Speaking of free shipping, I find a lot of parts on Amazon and get the "free" shipping since I have a Prime membership. Amazon often has the best total price.

Additionally, if you have a part number, you can also use Frugal Mechanic to find out who has the best price. Often it will show you where someone is having a promotion or sale. However, the caveat with Frugal Mechanic is that some of the vendors listed on there are not very good, so if you see one you don't recognize that has a price that seems too good, you should read some reviews of them to make sure they're legit.

https://frugalmechanic.com/

Quote:

Originally Posted by LudwigMiles (Post 2965683)
There is no way I want to buy overpriced parts from a dealership.
For my other cars, dealer parts are literally triple the price.

I don't think you were paying attention to what was posted above. There are certain dealers who have created a pretty good business for themselves in selling parts on the internet at a discount and undercutting other dealers. For example, a while back I was looking for some Subaru parts, and the best price was at a site called subarugenuineparts.com. That turned out to actually be Michael's Subaru of Bellevue (WA). Some of the dealers even list parts on Amazon for cheaper than you can get them anywhere else.

So don't rule out "dealerships" just because your local place overcharges (mine does too). Some of them have figured out the discount high volume internet sales model and will give you a decent deal. There are several Toyota dealerships doing the exact same thing to remain competitive.

LudwigMiles 08-21-2017 01:29 PM

I've gotten parts from this site in the past.
Seems like they have basic parts for BRZ/FRS
http://www.partsgeek.com/ymm/2013/subaru/brz.html

LudwigMiles 08-21-2017 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by extrashaky (Post 2965715)
I don't think you were paying attention to what was posted above. There are certain dealers who have created a pretty good business for themselves in selling parts on the internet at a discount and undercutting other dealers.

I was paying attention. Even a "cheap" dealership will be on a whole different price tier compared debranded OEM parts directly labelled from non-dealer vendors.

I decided to spot check a few items, and it seems like online dealer prices are way higher, but for certain parts, are at least in the same univserse.
This is not the case with German cars, I can say that. (Rotor will be $75 online, and $300 at internet dealer)

Basic brake pads
subarugenuineparts.com $70
Parks Geek $20

Radiator
subarugenuineparts.com $241
Parts Geek $72

Brake Rotor
subarugenuineparts.com $62
Parts Geek $50

Serp Belt
subarugenuineparts.com $28
Parts Geek $13-23

Water Pump
subarugenuineparts.com $104
Parts Geek $60-102

DandoX 08-21-2017 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LudwigMiles (Post 2965783)
I was paying attention. Even a "cheap" dealership will be on a whole different price tier compared debranded OEM parts directly labelled from non-dealer vendors.

I decided to spot check a few items, and it seems like online dealer prices are way higher, but for certain parts, are at least in the same univserse.
This is not the case with German cars, I can say that. (Rotor will be $75 online, and $300 at internet dealer)

Basic brake pads
subarugenuineparts.com $70
Parks Geek $20

Radiator
subarugenuineparts.com $241
Parts Geek $72

Brake Rotor
subarugenuineparts.com $62
Parts Geek $50

Serp Belt
subarugenuineparts.com $28
Parts Geek $13-23

Water Pump
subarugenuineparts.com $104
Parts Geek $60-102

I question if parts geek actually has OEM parts, may just be knock off parts at discount. I have also heard bad things about their customer service. I've used subarugenuineparts.com and their parts do seem to be actual OEM parts. Can anyone confirm if parts geek sells real oem parts or just what they call "OEM performance"

Tcoat 08-21-2017 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LudwigMiles (Post 2965783)
I was paying attention. Even a "cheap" dealership will be on a whole different price tier compared debranded OEM parts directly labelled from non-dealer vendors.

I decided to spot check a few items, and it seems like online dealer prices are way higher, but for certain parts, are at least in the same univserse.
This is not the case with German cars, I can say that. (Rotor will be $75 online, and $300 at internet dealer)

Basic brake pads
subarugenuineparts.com $70
Parks Geek $20

Radiator
subarugenuineparts.com $241
Parts Geek $72

Brake Rotor
subarugenuineparts.com $62
Parts Geek $50

Serp Belt
subarugenuineparts.com $28
Parts Geek $13-23

Water Pump
subarugenuineparts.com $104
Parts Geek $60-102

Parts that are 50% or more cheaper than the OEM are that way for a reason. Beware of the discount price trap.

LudwigMiles 08-21-2017 03:56 PM

I think that is a part by part basis.
For my other car, I will find out the OE supplier for a given part.
Then I will buy that brand, online, non-dealer.

BigTuna 08-21-2017 04:17 PM

@OAKOS Automotive

j3rf 08-21-2017 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 2965826)
Parts that are 50% or more cheaper than the OEM are that way for a reason. Beware of the discount price trap.

Yep. No way those are OEM or close to OEM parts. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

extrashaky 08-21-2017 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LudwigMiles (Post 2965783)
I was paying attention. Even a "cheap" dealership will be on a whole different price tier compared debranded OEM parts directly labelled from non-dealer vendors.

I decided to spot check a few items, and it seems like online dealer prices are way higher, but for certain parts, are at least in the same univserse.
This is not the case with German cars, I can say that. (Rotor will be $75 online, and $300 at internet dealer)

Basic brake pads
subarugenuineparts.com $70
Parks Geek $20

Radiator
subarugenuineparts.com $241
Parts Geek $72

Brake Rotor
subarugenuineparts.com $62
Parts Geek $50

Serp Belt
subarugenuineparts.com $28
Parts Geek $13-23

Water Pump
subarugenuineparts.com $104
Parts Geek $60-102

Well golly. I guess you already knew where to find cheap parts. Why are you asking other people for info if you already know it all?

86geek 08-21-2017 05:55 PM

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

LudwigMiles 08-21-2017 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j3rf (Post 2965901)
Yep. No way those are OEM or close to OEM parts. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Ok, that's a start.
So, can we identify who supplies the following OE parts?
  1. Brake pads
  2. Brake Rotors
  3. Radiator
  4. Serp Belt
  5. Water Pump

extrashaky 08-21-2017 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LudwigMiles (Post 2965989)
Ok, that's a start.
So, can we identify who supplies the following OE parts?
  1. Brake pads
  2. Brake Rotors
  3. Radiator
  4. Serp Belt
  5. Water Pump

Sure. Here you go:

Where to find OEM parts.

LudwigMiles 08-21-2017 08:13 PM

Every other car forum I've been on, no one ever ever buys parts at the dealer.
They buy OE equivalent (Sachs struts, Bosch alternators, Seimens/VDO fuel pump, ATE brakes, Hella headlights, INA belt pulleys, Lemforder control arms, etc)
Only clueless chumps who don't know what internet forums are....buy parts from the dealer.

But whatever, keep paying triple for your "genuine" parts at the dealer!
Intellectual laziness at its finest.

Tcoat 08-21-2017 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LudwigMiles (Post 2965989)
Ok, that's a start.
So, can we identify who supplies the following OE parts?
  1. Brake pads
  2. Brake Rotors
  3. Radiator
  4. Serp Belt
  5. Water Pump

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71898

extrashaky 08-21-2017 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LudwigMiles (Post 2966006)
Intellectual laziness at its finest.

Says the guy too fucking lazy to use Google.

Tcoat 08-21-2017 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LudwigMiles (Post 2966006)
Every other car forum I've been on, no one ever ever buys parts at the dealer.
They buy OE equivalent (Sachs struts, Bosch alternators, Seimens/VDO fuel pump, ATE brakes, Hella headlights, INA belt pulleys, Lemforder control arms, etc)
Only clueless chumps who don't know what internet forums are....buy parts from the dealer.

But whatever, keep paying triple for your "genuine" parts at the dealer!
Intellectual laziness at its finest.

No one? Ever? I find that hard to believe.

I buy my parts from the dealer. They cost me about 10-20% more than I could order them online for. Worth every penny for peace of mind that what I put in a car is the proper thing. If you are paying "triple for something at the dealer then you just need to go to another. I doubt any charge triple anyway.
Guess I am just a clueless chump.

Pretty tough words from a guy that can't tell when his brake pads are worn out or where to buy a replacement for a bent wheel.

Sapphireho 08-21-2017 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LudwigMiles (Post 2966006)
Every other car forum I've been on, no one ever ever buys parts at the dealer.
They buy OE equivalent (Sachs struts, Bosch alternators, Seimens/VDO fuel pump, ATE brakes, Hella headlights, INA belt pulleys, Lemforder control arms, etc)
Only clueless chumps who don't know what internet forums are....buy parts from the dealer.

But whatever, keep paying triple for your "genuine" parts at the dealer!
Intellectual laziness at its finest.

funny, I've been in car clubs since befor forums, and people buy plenty of parts from the dealer.

Silver_Slampig 08-21-2017 09:27 PM

Wow, that escalated quickly


http://estore.subarupartswarehouse.com/

86geek 08-21-2017 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by extrashaky (Post 2966010)
Says the guy too fucking lazy to use Google.


Quote:

Originally Posted by 86geek (Post 2965430)
Look on different Toyota dealerships across the USA. Some OEM parts can be cheaper than your local dealership. ;) google is your friend. :popcorn:

:lol::lol::lol:
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:
OP best that you stop with your posts on this subject.
As others have mentioned Amazon is another online car parts retailer. There are several Toyota & Subaru dealers that sell OEM stuff.
I believe you got enough info. to move on to your next forum post. ;)

LudwigMiles 08-21-2017 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by extrashaky (Post 2966010)
Says the guy too fucking lazy to use Google.

Actually, I Googled "who makes oem FRS rotors" and got zilch.

Now, want to see something neat?

Google "who makes oem BMW rotors"
https://www.google.com/search?q=who+...oem+bmw+rotors

......and see what I am talking about. You'll see hundreds of forum threads that reveal Jurid & Textar and Zimmerman & ATE are the OE brake suppliers for BMW.
No one buys "Genuine BMW" brakes at the stealership for triple the price as the guy who knows how to work a computer (Google), goes and buys Jurid pads or ATE rotors from any of 2 dozen indep. online vendors.

So, who makes the rotors and pads that come with FRS?
Do people actually not know? Is that just not a thing with these cars?

I still can't process that FRS/BRZ people who DIY actually buy parts from the dealer (or online dealers, same thing, basically)
I guess it's a Japanese car vs. German car thing.
I know this is more a tuner and modder crowd, whereas Euro car owners tend to keep their cars stock.

LOL, haven't walked into a stealership in 6 years. Time to get the lube!
Damn, owning a Japanese car just got a lot more expensive than owning a German car.

Sapphireho 08-21-2017 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 2966014)

Pretty tough words from a guy that can't tell when his brake pads are worn out...

This again

extrashaky 08-21-2017 10:31 PM

I'm pretty sure this thread was sourced by Massengill.

LudwigMiles 08-21-2017 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by extrashaky (Post 2966060)
I'm pretty sure this thread was sourced by Massengill.

I think you mean "Subaru Genuine Cleaner" only sold at dealerships.
Remember, you're too lazy to figure out the actual brand and buy it from a 3rd party.

86geek 08-21-2017 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LudwigMiles (Post 2966035)
Actually, I Googled "who makes oem FRS rotors" and got zilch.

Now, want to see something neat?

Google "who makes oem BMW rotors"
https://www.google.com/search?q=who+...oem+bmw+rotors

......and see what I am talking about. You'll see hundreds of forum threads that reveal Jurid & Textar and Zimmerman & ATE are the OE brake suppliers for BMW.
No one buys "Genuine BMW" brakes at the stealership for triple the price as the guy who knows how to work a computer (Google), goes and buys Jurid pads or ATE rotors from any of 2 dozen indep. online vendors.

So, who makes the rotors and pads that come with FRS?
Do people actually not know? Is that just not a thing with these cars?

I still can't process that FRS/BRZ people who DIY actually buy parts from the dealer (or online dealers, same thing, basically)
I guess it's a Japanese car vs. German car thing.
I know this is more a tuner and modder crowd, whereas Euro car owners tend to keep their cars stock.

LOL, haven't walked into a stealership in 6 years. Time to get the lube!
Damn, owning a Japanese car just got a lot more expensive than owning a German car.

😃 then sell your Japanese car & buy a German one. You got answers from members but you don't like them. Troll much dude....move on & buy your OEM Subaru parts from where ever. :rolleyes:

Ramn 08-21-2017 11:10 PM

Check out Subaru Online Parts. I bought the 2017 BRZ bumper and associated parts there.

strat61caster 08-22-2017 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LudwigMiles (Post 2966035)
Damn, owning a Japanese car just got a lot more expensive than owning a German car.

Subaru builds less than 1 million cars per year, parts are more expensive when you buy niche auto brands.

I look forward to the countless threads you will create over the following months that show an amazing desire to be spoon-fed.

And FYI replacement rotors are <$40 each right now if you have Amazon prime and know how to use a search bar, dubious assumptions despite your claims. (Centric blanks, just to be clear because I do want to be informative not just snarky)

Nobody knows the best alternative alternator because nobody expects to have to replace it in the next decade. Same goes for a water pump or radiator unless you want a bigger one for track duty. Welcome to Japanese car ownership.

Edit: and I don't know why the fuck you'd buy a sports car and then want the cheapest pads available, that's like buying a fuel efficient car to be cheap on gas then needlessly putting premium in it.

Borchert97 08-22-2017 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LudwigMiles (Post 2966006)
Every other car forum I've been on, no one ever ever buys parts at the dealer.
They buy OE equivalent (Sachs struts, Bosch alternators, Seimens/VDO fuel pump, ATE brakes, Hella headlights, INA belt pulleys, Lemforder control arms, etc)
Only clueless chumps who don't know what internet forums are....buy parts from the dealer.

But whatever, keep paying triple for your "genuine" parts at the dealer!
Intellectual laziness at its finest.

Hmm. Looks like you forget the crowd that works at dealerships that can get parts at or near cost and service close to or at free. Intellectual laziness at its finest. :)

Tomita San 08-22-2017 01:58 AM

Amayama.com
OEM parts directly from JP.

finch1750 08-22-2017 05:02 AM

RockAuto

Otherwise I go to the local place in town that (kinda)rips you on price but actually has everything in stock. AutoZone and the like cant even order some crap at time (not sure on this car, was the case with my STI). So I just support the local business when it comes time since they do carry the OEM suppliers just not make branded. Also just shop around, not every dealer is truly a ripoff.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.