Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   ofh vs gruppe vs 1320 performance vs cnt (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116705)

allowe 03-20-2017 12:35 PM

ofh vs gruppe vs 1320 performance vs cnt
 
Before you say "hit the search button etc", I have. I just want recent opinions on these headers

By the way, I'm getting an oft soon after getting the header

Note: prices are in CAD

OFH is one of the options however, it's the most expensive out of the 4 I have in mind. It looks amazing (the best pug of them all) though and I'm guessing it has the most hp gain out of them all. But doesn't come with gaskets or op (like 150 more for those 2).

Total without op: $977 cad roughly with import charge and shipping

Gruppe s
This header has a lot of good reviews. I mean a lot! I haven't heard anyone complain about them and the collector looks nice! However it's still up there when it comes to the price of it and it doesn't come with op but I think it does come with gaskets.
Total without op: 735 CAD roughly from ft86motorsports. No import charges and free shipping but there is Canadian tax.


1320 performance is by far my favourite out of the 4. I've read a lot of good reviews about but I want to hear about this from you guys the most. Especially those who have owned it for a while. My main concern is, they say that the flex pipe makes noise or leaks. Can anyone confirm this?? This header comes with op and gaskets. I also heard they take a while to ship but I'm not worried about that as it's still cold here in Toronto.

Total: around 650 CAD. Import charges are a freaking nightmare!! Would've been 550 without the import charge.

Cnt header. The cheapest and I've heard decent things about it. I did also hear that they sometimes get surface rust but again, I'm not Guna stare at this header so I don't really care if it looks like crap. Doesn't come with op or gaskets.

Total: $575 CAD roughly making it the cheapest but no op or gaskets which makes it to be the same price at the 1320 if I got an op and gaskets. The import charge is 20 bucks less for some reason but till around 80 bucks.


I'm at a total loss on which one I should get. I really like the 1320 but If it has leaks or a bad flex pipe, it's not worth it. Ofh is too expensive. Gruppe is well made but pricey too. Cnt is cheap but needs gaskets and that will put the price of it really close to the 1320


Ps. I have an mxp sp exhaust (it's...AWESOME!)

Really would love to hear your opinions and experience on those headers.

Thanks for reading my post



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thecarfilmer 03-20-2017 12:45 PM

i had gruppe-s and it was the best bang for my buck. Its pretty much a tomei uel but almost half the price. 1320 is a hit or miss, i know a few people who has it and they all had leaks.

The Racers Line 03-20-2017 01:14 PM

Where could you have possibly read good reviews of the 1320 header? It is easily the biggest piece of garbage on the market for this car. I have removed multiple for customers that rubbed on the subframe, leaked from warped flanges, and fluttered from crap flex joints. Also, the o2 sensor spacer is a joke, and the 90 bend is required so the o2 sensor don't get eaten by the control arm.

OFH or Groupe S. Both will fit well, sound great, and make decent gains.

ajcarson11 03-20-2017 01:19 PM

Gruppe-s. It is literally a copy of the Tomei UEL for less money. It comes with gaskets. Mine has had 0 problems.

It's a bit like the Tein Flex Z coilover. When you realize what you get for the money (quality, design, user feedback) its hard to understand why 95% of people would go with anything else unless they have very specific needs (like race-specific use, unlimited budget, etc).

Mad1723 03-20-2017 01:19 PM

OFH 1st gen here, got it in their first group buy. No regrets on the purchase, install was flawless and it sounds glorious :)

sirbobbinhood 03-20-2017 01:22 PM

I have the 1320 header and I haven't had a single problem with it besides the install being a bit of a pain to get the inside bolt on the drivers side flange. Everything else is great.
They started using a newer version and that is what I ended up getting. It has larger flex pipes apparently and that helps with the warping they were seeing.
You're gonna have hits and misses with every brand but if you're looking for a good review of 1320 I think my header is great and the company was nice enough to ship it out quick and to send me a newer one too.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I've had it on since last fall and haven't had any problems, I daily it and autocross so it's been through some heat cycles too. No weird noises but I have an N1 catback so I can't hear much besides the exhaust noise anyways.

allowe 03-20-2017 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Racers Line (Post 2875768)
Where could you have possibly read good reviews of the 1320 header? It is easily the biggest piece of garbage on the market for this car. I have removed multiple for customers that rubbed on the subframe, leaked from warped flanges, and fluttered from crap flex joints. Also, the o2 sensor spacer is a joke, and the 90 bend is required so the o2 sensor don't get eaten by the control arm.

OFH or Groupe S. Both will fit well, sound great, and make decent gains.



http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95068


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Summerwolf 03-20-2017 01:25 PM

It would make sense to buy the newest OFH offering with the overpipe included and the OFT at the same time would it not?


Especially since you can get the tuning specific to that and you get the overpipe.

allowe 03-20-2017 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajcarson11 (Post 2875773)
Gruppe-s. It is literally a copy of the Tomei UEL for less money. It comes with gaskets. Mine has had 0 problems.

It's a bit like the Tein Flex Z coilover. When you realize what you get for the money (quality, design, user feedback) its hard to understand why 95% of people would go with anything else unless they have very specific needs (like race-specific use, unlimited budget, etc).



How does it sound? I'm looking for the quietest one too. I know that a catless header will be louder than stock but I don't wana rattle the neighbourhood haha.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

allowe 03-20-2017 01:32 PM

ofh vs gruppe vs 1320 performance vs cnt
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Summerwolf (Post 2875780)
It would make sense to buy the newest OFH offering with the overpipe included and the OFT at the same time would it not?


Especially since you can get the tuning specific to that and you get the overpipe.



I'm buying the oft used which will save me about 100 CAD. (It's almost 800 with tax brand new in Canada)

That whole package is literally about 1700 cad. Might as well spend a grand more and go For an eBay turbo kit lol.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Racers Line 03-20-2017 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allowe (Post 2875779)

After a skim of that whole 4 page thread, there was 1 guy who purchased one, who then had to return it because the flanges were garbage and it leaked. Hardly good reviews.

"I didn't really run N/A long. I made 179whp with that setup. Sold the header after it had some weird issues.. the flanges weren't decked correctly, causing a leak against the block, and the flexpipe had a hiss/rattle leak."

1320 is local to my shop. Many purchased their header, and then quickly sold them because of issues.

Groupe S are literally Tomei rejects, and they still fit and perform 100% better than the 1320 crap.

ajcarson11 03-20-2017 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allowe (Post 2875787)
How does it sound? I'm looking for the quietest one too. I know that a catless header will be louder than stock but I don't wana rattle the neighbourhood haha.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will sound exactly like every other UEL catless header. Unless you are going with a catted header, its not going to matter which brand you buy -- Almost all will sound the exact same (unless you buy an expensive one with thicker pipping, which would increase weight, and even that wouldn't sound much different).

But, with that being said, the sound rocks. I'd avoid touching your front pipe unless you want to introduce rasp -- Look at changing the catback/axleback to unlock the rumbles from the header.

Teseo 03-20-2017 02:37 PM

What about JDL, op? They are robust, quality is outstanding, lifetime warranty, fit like oem and have "special tune (patch actually)" with a oft.

allowe 03-20-2017 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajcarson11 (Post 2875825)
It will sound exactly like every other UEL catless header. Unless you are going with a catted header, its not going to matter which brand you buy -- Almost all will sound the exact same (unless you buy an expensive one with thicker pipping, which would increase weight, and even that wouldn't sound much different).



But, with that being said, the sound rocks. I'd avoid touching your front pipe unless you want to introduce rasp -- Look at changing the catback/axleback to unlock the rumbles from the header.



Thanks for ur reply bro! I'm not Guna change the op or have any plans todo so. I don't want my car to smell. I also don't want a ticket too lol. i figured it's Guna sound the same as the other catless uel headers too. Thanks for ur input


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

allowe 03-20-2017 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teseo (Post 2875840)
What about JDL, op? They are robust, quality is outstanding, lifetime warranty, fit like oem and have "special tune (patch actually)" with a oft.



They're over a grand CAD


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

allowe 03-20-2017 07:23 PM

So after doing some extensive research. I might be able to get the gruppe s header for 650 cad new. Does it come with gaskets for sure? Now I'm looking at the overpipe.. is it necessary? The 1-2 hp difference isn't really going to be noticeable. It's a 110 cad more. Any opinions?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xxyion 03-20-2017 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allowe (Post 2876024)
So after doing some extensive research. I might be able to get the gruppe s header for 650 cad new. Does it come with gaskets for sure? Now I'm looking at the overpipe.. is it necessary? The 1-2 hp difference isn't really going to be noticeable. It's a 110 cad more. Any opinions?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as my experience goes, the OP doesnt really do much. The sound might slightly change but you arent really going to notice much else. Not worth the extra money in my opinion.

As far as volume goes. Be prepared to be LOUD. it's a significant increase in volume over what you already have and that one is pretty loud as is. It's not N1 Loud or Muffler delete loud but with the added headers it will definetly turn some heads when you get on it.

I had to sell my OFH because i got an official noise complaint from my Apartment complex. Looking into catted headers next since i want that rumble back.

Shiv@Openflash 03-20-2017 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xxyion (Post 2876059)
As far as my experience goes, the OP doesnt really do much. The sound might slightly change but you arent really going to notice much else. Not worth the extra money in my opinion.

As far as volume goes. Be prepared to be LOUD. it's a significant increase in volume over what you already have and that one is pretty loud as is. It's not N1 Loud or Muffler delete loud but with the added headers it will definetly turn some heads when you get on it.

I had to sell my OFH because i got an official noise complaint from my Apartment complex. Looking into catted headers next since i want that rumble back.

Much of the loudness associated with cat-less headers can be dialed back by adjusting cold start and turning off the catalyst warm-up routine. Also, running a proper exhaust is going to be important. Those small bullet style mufflers just don't cut it if you are looking for someone that sounds reasonably quiet.

And The Racer's Line has probably installed more different headers than anyone else I can think of!

allowe 03-20-2017 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiv@Openflash (Post 2876104)
Much of the loudness associated with cat-less headers can be dialed back by adjusting cold start and turning off the catalyst warm-up routine. Also, running a proper exhaust is going to be important. Those small bullet style mufflers just don't cut it if you are looking for someone that sounds reasonably quiet.



And The Racer's Line has probably installed more different headers than anyone else I can think of!



Hey thanks for your input! Could the cold start or the cat warm up routine be changed with oft? Any chance you might run a group buy or a deal on those headers :P? If not it's cool

I wish the Canadian dollar wasn't so shitty!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lantana frs 03-20-2017 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiv@Openflash (Post 2876104)
Much of the loudness associated with cat-less headers can be dialed back by adjusting cold start and turning off the catalyst warm-up routine. Also, running a proper exhaust is going to be important. Those small bullet style mufflers just don't cut it if you are looking for someone that sounds reasonably quiet.

And The Racer's Line has probably installed more different headers than anyone else I can think of!

Is the standard ofh still $595 list?

Turdinator 03-20-2017 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allowe (Post 2875860)
They're over a grand CAD


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel your pain, the Aus dollar is equally shit. Shoot JDL an email and see if they can help you out. Their product and service are top notch :thumbup:

Keenercarguy 03-20-2017 11:31 PM

@allowe The gruppe-s is fantastic, never had a single problem! Also they don't come with an overpipe... But you can add one for just $75 (so why not at that point! If you ever decide to complete the whole exhaust it'll already be 2.5 inches to the frontpipe... Hard to get a good Overpipe for anything close to that.) AND it comes with all the gaskets and hardware you need to install both without a single worry. Great service, came quickly to my door and I'm still pleased. Not at all affiliated with the company, I'm just a fan of a good product. CNT and 1320 are just barely above eBay garbage, but they're crap anyway, I've known 4 now between the two companies that have developed cracked welds, these aren't really hard to fix: but there are definitely better options. The OFH is a good product, but compared to the Gruppe-S it's not worth the extra money IMHO. The OFH2 with the integrated Overpipe could produce a bit more power in theory, but I don't think they made many, and also $$$$...
What matters much more than the header is the tuning, I sure hope you don't plan to install a header without a tune because that's how you burn money without reason!
Edit: JDL is good too but I made almost the exact same WHP as my friend with a JDL (I made 202.4 and he made 201.3, both on the same dyno, both on an OFT OTS E85 UEL tune) and I spent less money. I also don't have an exhaust leak because everything I needed for fresh seals came with mine... He has developed an exhaust leak and needs new gaskets that he didn't think to buy at first. Not JDL's fault at all, but food for thought! JDL's have great build quality and service from what everyone I know has mentioned, so I'd say they're a good buy... But the Gruppe-S is just so perfect for the money.

Impureclient 03-20-2017 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allowe (Post 2876108)
Could the cold start or the cat warm up routine be changed with oft?

It does. After installing a Gruppe-s header and OP it was atrocious. With the OFT getting that high rev start disabled it now quieter than it was with the stock header and cold start routine.

allowe 03-20-2017 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keenercarguy (Post 2876207)
@allowe The gruppe-s is fantastic, never had a single problem! Also they don't come with an overpipe... But you can add one for just $75 (so why not at that point! If you ever decide to complete the whole exhaust it'll already be 2.5 inches to the frontpipe... Hard to get a good Overpipe for anything close to that.) AND it comes with all the gaskets and hardware you need to install both without a single worry. Great service, came quickly to my door and I'm still pleased. Not at all affiliated with the company, I'm just a fan of a good product. CNT and 1320 are just barely above eBay garbage, but they're crap anyway, I've known 4 now between the two companies that have developed cracked welds, these aren't really hard to fix: but there are definitely better options. The OFH is a good product, but compared to the Gruppe-S it's not worth the extra money IMHO. The OFH2 with the integrated Overpipe could produce a bit more power in theory, but I don't think they made many, and also $$$$...
What matters much more than the header is the tuning, I sure hope you don't plan to install a header without a tune because that's how you burn money without reason!
Edit: JDL is good too but I made almost the exact same WHP as my friend with a JDL (I made 202.4 and he made 201.3, both on the same dyno, both on an OFT OTS E85 UEL tune) and I spent less money. I also don't have an exhaust leak because everything I needed for fresh seals came with mine... He has developed an exhaust leak and needs new gaskets that he didn't think to buy at first. Not JDL's fault at all, but food for thought! JDL's have great build quality and service from what everyone I know has mentioned, so I'd say they're a good buy... But the Gruppe-S is just so perfect for the money.


Holy crap thanks for your input! I'm Guna buy a gruppe s tomorrow. Can I run it without a tune for a bit? Also, was it easy to install or did you have to hammer it in? I heard the overpipe doesn't really make a difference though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shiv@Openflash 03-21-2017 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lantana frs (Post 2876110)
Is the standard ofh still $595 list?

Yes indeed.

OFH2 is $595

OFT3 (with over-pipe) is $695

If you want the best possible performance for a header and tune, use either OFH2/OFH3 with the dedicated OFH Stage 2 OTS tune files. That combo will outperform any other combination of OTS tune and UEL/EL header.

Bowen 03-21-2017 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Racers Line (Post 2875816)
Groupe S are literally Tomei rejects, and they still fit and perform 100% better than the 1320 crap.

Holy shit is that true?

ajcarson11 03-21-2017 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowen (Post 2876383)
Holy shit is that true?

There might be some truth to it -- but the collector is different between the two models. So its likely that 'some part' of the Gruppe-s is a reject, but not the whole unit.

Either way, it clearly doesn't matter. The results speak for themselves.

Also -- If needed, I have an OFT Stage 2 tune with the cold start already modified to be quiet. I no longer have an OFT but can send you my tune. Takes care of some of the leg work.

allowe 03-21-2017 12:52 PM

Ahh the gruppe header without op is Guna be 750. Anyone heard of plm uel headers?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keenercarguy 03-21-2017 01:23 PM

The fit was easy on the Gruppe-S, slid right on, bolted up, and was done. Overpipe too. I put a few dozen miles on it to heat cycle it and then retightended the header nuts before reattaching the under panels. You can run for a little while without a tune but you'll: get a CEL, then lose cruise control, won't run as well, won't see any real benefits. Also the collector and slip flanges on the Gruppe-S appear to be the only differences to the tomei: I compared mine with my friends and there isn't any *visible* difference at all, welds or anywhere else. (I also ceramic coated mine after that for added heatsoak prevention, and was still under his cost)

PLM isn't awful overall, but I've never seen their UEL option. Mostly they just copy other brands designs from what I understand. Link
At that price point you'd be better off with a version of the OFH or a Gruppe-S.

Teseo 03-21-2017 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keenercarguy (Post 2876541)

PLM isn't awful overall, but I've never seen their UEL option. Mostly they just copy other brands designs from what I understand. Link
At that price point you'd be better off with a version of the OFH or a Gruppe-S.

They did
http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/plm-...l#.WNFzknTD_qA

allowe 03-21-2017 03:11 PM

Anyone got a plm Uel on :p? Headers with flex joints seem sketchy


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Willis-86touge 03-22-2017 11:24 AM

More info on the ofh3 thinking of buying the combo with tablet this weekend will it fit stock exhaust?

Teseo 03-22-2017 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -Willis-86touge (Post 2877214)
More info on the ofh3 thinking of buying the combo with tablet this weekend will it fit stock exhaust?

You mean the overpipe to frontpipe, yes

finch1750 03-22-2017 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Racers Line (Post 2875768)
Where could you have possibly read good reviews of the 1320 header? It is easily the biggest piece of garbage on the market for this car. I have removed multiple for customers that rubbed on the subframe, leaked from warped flanges, and fluttered from crap flex joints. Also, the o2 sensor spacer is a joke, and the 90 bend is required so the o2 sensor don't get eaten by the control arm.

OFH or Groupe S. Both will fit well, sound great, and make decent gains.

From all the for sale adds saying "Header was great, just going a different direction" :bellyroll:

2017-BRZ 03-23-2017 11:21 PM

I'm waiting until the test results are in for the 2017 will be interesting to know if more gains achievable with uprated internals.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.