Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Is my engine blown? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114872)

dallenj 01-25-2017 01:14 AM

Is my engine blown?
 
Everyone in my local group seems to think it's an exhaust leak coming from my header. It sound worst to me what do you think. Let me know.

https://youtu.be/FWbSpgt8X78

Die$eL 01-25-2017 01:48 AM

hard to tell.

get someone to block the tail pipes while idling and listen at the front for whether the sound changes

dallenj 01-25-2017 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Die$eL (Post 2838576)
hard to tell.

get someone to block the tail pipes while idling and listen at the front for whether the sound changes

ill try it

swarb 01-25-2017 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dallenj (Post 2838566)
Everyone in my local group seems to think it's an exhaust leak coming from my header. It sound worst to me what do you think. Let me know.

https://youtu.be/FWbSpgt8X78

You should list your mods and if any were recent. And also mention how you drove the last few minutes or hours in the car before you noticed the problem.

Edit. Op has nitrous...

dallenj 01-25-2017 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarb (Post 2838605)
You should list your mods and if any were recent. And also mention how you drove the last few minutes or hours in the car before you noticed the problem.

Edit. Op has nitrous...

I recently got Dyno tuned for my nitrous. After that everything was fine drove it for a few days with no issue. All of a sudden I start hearing a lot of noise coming from the passenger side of my car. I have ran open headers before on this car and it sounds very similar but it is making a more metallic noise which concerns me.

dallenj 01-25-2017 03:48 AM

Mods include full exhaust. 1320 header and over pipe j2 front pipe and a greddy cat back. An nx plate kit running a 75 shot from 4500 to 7000 rpm

Die$eL 01-25-2017 05:08 AM

hmm, burnt valves perhaps...

demasrv 01-25-2017 10:01 AM

In my opinion, that's definitely an exhaust leak. Coming from just dealing with a major internal engine failure that isn't what mine sounded like. Actually given your mod list, it's hard to say. Either way, from the video I'm hearing an exhaust leak.

FRS Justin 01-25-2017 10:42 AM

That sounds like you have a cracked header or a blown exhaust gasket. possibly your header is loose, tighten bolts and check for cracks by jacking up vehicle start it and feel for warm air or do it the easy way and start vehicle and squirt it down with soapy water.... good luck

jasonojordan 01-25-2017 10:45 AM

http://users.content.ytmnd.com/d/2/9...53248ae587.jpg

swarb 01-25-2017 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dallenj (Post 2838611)
Mods include full exhaust. 1320 header and over pipe j2 front pipe and a greddy cat back. An nx plate kit running a 75 shot from 4500 to 7000 rpm

Pull the bottom cover and re-torque the exhaust parts. My guess is an exhaust leak from j2 front pipe or j2 gaskets.

dallenj 01-25-2017 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarb (Post 2838907)
Pull the bottom cover and re-torque the exhaust parts. My guess is an exhaust leak from j2 front pipe or j2 gaskets.

the bracket on the j2 that bolts to the trans has broken off so that might have put some extra stress on the header.

swarb 01-25-2017 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dallenj (Post 2839020)
the bracket on the j2 that bolts to the trans has broken off so that might have put some extra stress on the header.

did you use the j2 gaskets? The company itself is a low priced company and they would skimp out on gaskets. My guess is you blew a gasket.

DJCarbine 01-25-2017 06:46 PM

Sounds like exhaust leak, especially the burble after the throttle blip.

Most surefire way to know?

Jack 'er up and make sure its stable. Let the car idle, and get underneath after you take off the underpanel. Look/feel for leaks near header/overpipe/midpipe joints. Also check any welds where pipes merge in the header.

If that is indeed a leak, its so bad I imagine Hellen Keller could find it

Ultramaroon 01-25-2017 09:37 PM

Blew the welds on the intake with that hundred shot of nos.

cdrazic93 01-26-2017 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 2839286)
Blew the welds on the intake with that hundred shot of nos.

That was a 75er, GOD ULTRA CANT YOU READ?! lol

But in all seriousness; sounds incredibly close to the valves. So either header leak (not torqued down properly or cracked), or the head gasket is blown.

It seemed to rev too freely for burnt valves.

Ultramaroon 01-26-2017 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdrazic93 (Post 2839433)
That was a 75er, GOD ULTRA CANT YOU READ?! lol

But in all seriousness; sounds incredibly close to the valves. So either header leak (not torqued down properly or cracked), or the head gasket is blown.

It seemed to rev too freely for burnt valves.

That's a cracked header. Too big for a loose flange at the port. You would also hear two pops.

There, I said it.

dallenj 01-26-2017 06:00 PM

Hopefully its not a blown head gasket. I should be able to find out tonight or tomorrow what is wrong. Thanks for all the help.

chaoscentral 01-26-2017 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dallenj (Post 2840008)
Hopefully its not a blown head gasket. I should be able to find out tonight or tomorrow what is wrong. Thanks for all the help.

Blown head gasket has a tell tale white smoke, I agree with everyone, sounds like exhaust.

guybo 01-26-2017 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dallenj (Post 2839020)
the bracket on the j2 that bolts to the trans has broken off so that might have put some extra stress on the header.

Then why the fuck are you in this thread? Fix the KNOWN PROBLEM then come back. Of course that's the problem and it may have started new issues.

Ultramaroon 01-26-2017 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guybo (Post 2840105)
Then why the fuck are you in this thread? Fix the KNOWN PROBLEM then come back. Of course that's the problem and it may have started new issues.

Fuck me. I missed that part too. :bonk:

dallenj 01-27-2017 10:47 PM

https://youtu.be/sZo0qyb5Tz4

Here is an update. Pretty sure its an exhaust leak in missing 2 header bolts one on the drivers side one on the passenger side. Ill know for sure in just a little bit when I start my car and underneath it.

Unrelated but I notice an oil leak coming from what I think is my exhaust vvt housing. Shown at the end of the video.

Ultramaroon 01-27-2017 11:15 PM

Let me just jot down that VIN. What did you say it was?

tCsonfrs 01-27-2017 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dallenj (Post 2840871)
https://youtu.be/sZo0qyb5Tz4

Here is an update. Pretty sure its an exhaust leak in missing 2 header bolts one on the drivers side one on the passenger side. Ill know for sure in just a little bit when I start my car and underneath it.

Unrelated but I notice an oil leak coming from what I think is my exhaust vvt housing. Shown at the end of the video.

At 20 seconds you can CLEARLY see that your header is missing a bolt, fix that or just get ride of that 1320 header, they're garbage IMHO.

dallenj 01-27-2017 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tCsonfrs (Post 2840885)
At 20 seconds you can CLEARLY see that your header is missing a bolt, fix that or just get ride of that 1320 header, they're garbage IMHO.

just done under the car and its an exhaust leak out of where the bolt is missing. I noticed the bolts gone. I posted the video for oil leak I found.

dallenj 01-28-2017 12:44 PM

Fixing the exhaust didn't fix the issue any other ideas?

DJCarbine 01-28-2017 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dallenj (Post 2841049)
Fixing the exhaust didn't fix the issue any other ideas?

Start car while securely on jackstands

Check every inch of pipe in header, joints between header/OP/Mid pipe

Keep wedding tackle away from moving parts

If confirmed not exhaust, then confirm the noise is coming from engine

Long screwdriver with metal tip on engine/parts and your ear on the handle makes an expedient mechanics stethoscope to see where the noise is loudest

Injectors are loud, cold engines are loud, an overpipe resting on the subframe is hell

Check everything you possibly can and report back

FRS Justin 01-28-2017 07:08 PM

well you could take it to the dealer and get your front cover resealed and while its off they can see if your dowel pin fell out on the chain tensioner guide.. plus your oil leak is fixed. or you could drop the oil pan and see if the pin is in the pan...

dallenj 01-28-2017 07:23 PM

Need some help here if anybody has some header gaskets or a header flange they could measure for me. Trying to buy some header gaskets at Napa but the don't have any specific for the frs. I got some down here and the measurements are 1 7/8" center hole and 4 3/8 between the bolts. Can someone measure one and send some info for me. Thanks.

FRS Justin 01-28-2017 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dallenj (Post 2841208)
Need some help here if anybody has some header gaskets or a header flange they could measure for me. Trying to buy some header gaskets at Napa but the don't have any specific for the frs. I got some down here and the measurements are 1 7/8" center hole and 4 3/8 between the bolts. Can someone measure one and send some info for me. Thanks.

wrx sti any will work

dallenj 01-28-2017 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRS Justin (Post 2841211)
wrx sti any will work

not that simple. The system at Napa doesn't work like that unfortunately.

The cars these gaskets for are
Subaru Forrester 2.5 dohc 1998,2006,2008,2011-2013
Subaru Forrester 2.5 sohc 1999-2010, 2012
Subaru impreza 1.8 ohv 1993
Subaru impreza 1.8 sohc 1995
Subaru impreza 2.5 sohc 1999-2011
Subaru impreza 2.5 dohc 1998

dallenj 01-28-2017 08:12 PM

I know I should get some that are specifically made for my car but this is my last hope of getting it running soon

FRS Justin 01-28-2017 08:33 PM

any Subaru fa20 go with a wrx 2014 or close to it plus or minus a year the turbo applications are heavier duty

SpectreRT 01-28-2017 09:16 PM

1320 header is known to have a ton of leaks. Replace that...

dallenj 01-28-2017 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectreRT (Post 2841272)
1320 header is known to have a ton of leaks. Replace that...

first time I have had an issue. And its not even the headers that are leaking

SpectreRT 01-28-2017 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dallenj (Post 2841278)
first time I have had an issue. And its not even the headers that are leaking

Btw, forrester gaskets are good. They're thicker than BRZ OEM gaskets and better material. Try those.

Check the forums for the 1320 header review. Tons have had problems. Its cheap for a reason.

dallenj 01-28-2017 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectreRT (Post 2841296)
Btw, forrester gaskets are good. They're thicker than BRZ OEM gaskets and better material. Try those.

Check the forums for the 1320 header review. Tons have had problems. Its cheap for a reason.

thanks for the help.

dallenj 01-29-2017 02:36 PM

Got the header off the header gasket was split in half.

Ultramaroon 01-29-2017 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dallenj (Post 2841586)
Got the header off the header gasket was split in half.

I would never have known that was a thing because I've never personally experienced that.

Didn't you say earlier that you had a hanger broken/missing further back? If you haven't already fixed that, I fear your header flange nuts will loosen again. My gut says that's where this problem started. Maybe I'm repeating shit but I'm too lazy to go back and review. :D

Good fix, man. Thanks for doing the thread.

dallenj 01-30-2017 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 2841643)
I would never have known that was a thing because I've never personally experienced that.

Didn't you say earlier that you had a hanger broken/missing further back? If you haven't already fixed that, I fear your header flange nuts will loosen again. My gut says that's where this problem started. Maybe I'm repeating shit but I'm too lazy to go back and review. :D

Good fix, man. Thanks for doing the thread.

I plan on fixing the hanger before my header goes back on


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.