Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Another one bites the dust (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103243)

nickw14 03-21-2016 10:37 AM

Another one bites the dust
 
http://imgur.com/NQ6ot45.png

March 20th, 2016 at around 4pm EST my FRS blew a "grape sized" hole through the top of the block. It was running 11 pounds of boost.

This was the scene when I popped the hood:
http://imgur.com/SVIDYEN.png

And here is the hole better revealed after pulling the intake manifold:
http://imgur.com/e4FWKbX.png

Loaded up on the trailer on the side of the highway:
http://imgur.com/KzL9bBO.png

Initially we thought this was a piece of the block, the machining texture said otherwise. It is a piece of piston.
http://imgur.com/NLAEhw4.png

This engine is crazy easy to remove. We had the thing out and on a stand in only a couple of hours start to finish. Turns out if you leave the engine upside down on a stand overnight, it won't fix itself and all be okay in the morning :(
http://imgur.com/tgoOPhK.png

Scroll down for a TLDR...

3/11/16: Dyno tuning
I had my car on the dyno at Accelerated Performance in Toledo, OH retuning for larger fuel injectors and a new clutch/flywheel. I was looking to put down 350-400, hit my target at 351@11psi :) Happy day, the car felt amazing. A friend of mine said it felt like it pulled harder than his tuned WRX (it did make 60 more horsepower, but you can't beat that AWD!).

There was one minor (and by minor, I mean major) issue... During the dyno pulls the plumbing on the wastegates heated up, the rubber expanded, and one of the wastegates ended up blowing a line off. I never had this issue since I added a boost controller after my initial tune, re-plumbed, and had always been moving and getting cool air in there to keep everything connected. Luckily Don is a very smart man and caught a boost spike as soon as it hit 20psi. But yes, it spiked to 20psi.

My original plan was to run 12-14psi and hit closer to 370 or 400whp. After the boost spike, Don said it would be much wiser to stick around 11psi. I was surprised, as I'm sure he was too, that it hadn't blown up then and there.


3/13/16: "Injector Tick"
It was the weekend after tuning that I noticed a faint ticking (no, knocking) sound. Anyone I called in to get an opinion on the sound said "it's probably fine, don't the injectors on this car make a lot of noise?". Well yes, they do make a considerable amount of noise. However, this was reminiscent of when a good friend of mine spun a bearing in his IS300, an eerily similar sound. I brushed it off as injector tick.


3/20/16: Judgement Day
I was heading back home via the highway with a friend of mine in the car, and two more of my friends following in a Chevy Cruze. We took off in 5th gear, got to the top of 5th, and then it happened. I was at maybe 6500rpm, not really sure, but it felt like I hit the rev limiter. It was similar to the load limiter for boost that was implemented so I glanced over at my gauge which now read "0" (not accurate for a car that is running, but it was no longer running at this point). Looked back to the tach, revs had already dropped. Check engine light. Oil light. Looked in the rear view, and a MASSIVE cloud of smoke is trailing from the back of the car. It covered both lanes of the highway and all of both berms on either side. Pulled off to the side, popped the hood, met with the chilling sight of oil everywhere.

Don had me crank it to try and diagnose the problem. One of the guys with me was then able to identify the hole due to smoke pouring out of it. Trailered the car home (thanks AAA!) and started tearing it down. There is a high possibility that one of the rods actually bent on the dyno when it spiked. 2 rods were visibly bent, bad. One was not easily visible in general so we couldn't tell for sure, and then the last one just shattered. Not sure if there is any head damage, I'll be tearing the rest of it down today.

Let me just say though that Accelerated has been nothing but amazing through this whole build process. Don personally came out to my house to help me straighten out the cluster fuck of intercooler piping when I first installed the kit. Then last night he came out at like 9pm to take a look at the engine. No doubt I will be returning to them for the engine rebuild, providing we are able to work around a similar price range.


TLDR:

Spiked 20psi on the dyno a week and a half ago, PROBABLY bent a rod then. Just this past weekend the engine decided to give out during a top of 5th gear pull. Sucks.

gl2filmerguy 03-21-2016 11:33 AM

It will all work out man. Good luck with the build, you live and learn.

-Phil 03-21-2016 01:35 PM

Did it tick after the boost spike? i had the same issue a while back when all four rods bent. car ran fine. in fact it sounded like a lifter. then obviously we pulled it apart and found out the rods were bent to hell.

nickw14 03-21-2016 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moto-Phil (Post 2590916)
Did it tick after the boost spike? i had the same issue a while back when all four rods bent. car ran fine. in fact it sounded like a lifter. then obviously we pulled it apart and found out the rods were bent to hell.

It did. I brushed it off as injector tick. I was more or less trying to convince myself nothing was wrong at that point.

gl2filmerguy 03-21-2016 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickw14 (Post 2591002)
It did. I brushed it off as injector tick. I was more or less trying to convince myself nothing was wrong at that point.

Thats what I asked lol. It probably sounds damn near the same, so it might have been hard to distinguish the difference.

nickw14 03-21-2016 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gl2filmerguy (Post 2591010)
Thats what I asked lol. It probably sounds damn near the same, so it might have been hard to distinguish the difference.

Ha Steve I just now realized this is you. Yes, it does sound the same.

Yoda 03-21-2016 02:47 PM

Sucks when it happeneds. Good luck with the rebuild now you have a reason to shoot even higher.

CSG Mike 03-21-2016 02:56 PM

Excuses to upgrade even more!

86fun 03-21-2016 03:16 PM

The only question I have is, how much power/tq did it make when it spiked to 20psi on the dyno? :D I suppose that power level is what you can look forward to after fully building out the engine!


How much torque was it putting down at 11psi? Curious to see a dyno chart...


Good luck with the build!

nickw14 03-22-2016 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86fun (Post 2591082)
The only question I have is, how much power/tq did it make when it spiked to 20psi on the dyno? :D I suppose that power level is what you can look forward to after fully building out the engine!


How much torque was it putting down at 11psi? Curious to see a dyno chart...


Good luck with the build!

Don doesn't give out dyno sheets lol. At 11psi it put down 350/260. I'm not even sure we were sampling when it spiked, it happened rather quickly.

Luftwaffel 03-22-2016 09:20 AM

WTF kind of place doesn't give out dyno sheets?

Are you supposed to take them at their word?

p1l0t 03-22-2016 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luftwaffel (Post 2592004)
WTF kind of place doesn't give out dyno sheets?

Are you supposed to take them at their word?

Yeah how you know when to shift?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

xkalelx 03-22-2016 06:48 PM

Thanks for sharing your experience! Albeit a shitty one, this kind of information is valuable to everyone here as something to learn from. Looking forward to hearing updates. Best of luck on your build man!

nickw14 03-22-2016 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p1l0t (Post 2592014)
Yeah how you know when to shift?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

You shift whenever you want when the power doesn't drop off until after redline.

Also I can walk right up to the monitor and see the numbers, so of course I take them at their word :)

p1l0t 03-22-2016 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickw14 (Post 2593113)
You shift whenever you want when the power doesn't drop off until after redline.

Also I can walk right up to the monitor and see the numbers, so of course I take them at their word :)

Or take a picture of the monitor...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

nickw14 03-22-2016 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p1l0t (Post 2593116)
Or take a picture of the monitor...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Meh. The engine is blown now anyway lol, so it makes 0hp.

p1l0t 03-22-2016 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickw14 (Post 2593194)
Meh. The engine is blown now anyway lol, so it makes 0hp.

#tooSoon #tooReal

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

gl2filmerguy 03-23-2016 08:26 AM

You can also give Don a USB stick and he will load the dyno graph onto it.

xkalelx 03-23-2016 12:38 PM

Please post pictures of the rods if/when you get them out. Im curious what they look like next to MotoEast's boomerangs.

nickw14 03-23-2016 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xkalelx (Post 2594000)
Please post pictures of the rods if/when you get them out. Im curious what they look like next to MotoEast's boomerangs.

Will do. I'm a dumbass and thought the bolts were 12 points and they're actually star keys or something. Gotta get those tomorrow.

texasbound972 03-24-2016 12:27 PM

I'm on my 2nd built block, I feel your pain bro. Best of luck!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

nickw14 03-25-2016 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasbound972 (Post 2595711)
I'm on my 2nd built block, I feel your pain bro. Best of luck!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Uh oh, second built block? What happened to the first one?

Sportsguy83 03-25-2016 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasbound972 (Post 2595711)
I'm on my 2nd built block, I feel your pain bro. Best of luck!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Second built block... ouch.. what happened

empower-auto 03-25-2016 08:08 PM

351 @ 11psi

k . what? how?

texasbound972 03-28-2016 06:32 PM

Eh, well I didn't have the overboost protection I thought I had with my delicious tune, so on e85 I overboosted from 8/9 psi to over 20. Said fuck it and got the built block from Crawford. 6 months later I spun a rod bearing from running too rich.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

SoCal80six 03-28-2016 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasbound972 (Post 2600588)
Eh, well I didn't have the overboost protection I thought I had with my delicious tune, so on e85 I overboosted from 8/9 psi to over 20. Said fuck it and got the built block from Crawford. 6 months later I spun a rod bearing from running too rich.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Tell me how the same exact thing happened to me man!!! Let's hope my new motor doesn't go down.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

texasbound972 03-28-2016 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal80six (Post 2600596)
Tell me how the same exact thing happened to me man!!! Let's hope my new motor doesn't go down.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Make sure and get it tuned by church 👍

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

SoCal80six 03-28-2016 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasbound972 (Post 2600603)
Make sure and get it tuned by church 👍

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Really how are they and where are they located?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

texasbound972 03-28-2016 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal80six (Post 2600606)
Really how are they and where are they located?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

300 Quay Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90744

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

SoCal80six 03-28-2016 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasbound972 (Post 2600608)
300 Quay Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90744

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

How's your tune hp,tq?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

texasbound972 03-28-2016 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal80six (Post 2600611)
How's your tune hp,tq?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...746af062d4.jpg
Not tuned to the extreme, but a safe and reliable tune.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

SoCal80six 03-28-2016 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasbound972 (Post 2600615)
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...746af062d4.jpg
Not tuned to the extreme, but a safe and reliable tune.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

That's more than enough for this car. How's your trans holding up?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

texasbound972 03-28-2016 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal80six (Post 2600617)
That's more than enough for this car. How's your trans holding up?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

It's good. Had to replace it because my Trd shifter worked itself loose and when I was carving the canyon roads, it didn't go into 4th properly and I fucked the syncros. Other than that it holds the power just fine. Even the stock axles. My driveshaftshop ones should be here from being repaired by the end of this week or next week. As long as you don't launch with the stock axles, you'll be okay.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

texasbound972 03-28-2016 06:53 PM

Bought a used one with 25k miles on it for 600.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

p1l0t 03-28-2016 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasbound972 (Post 2600615)
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...746af062d4.jpg
Not tuned to the extreme, but a safe and reliable tune.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

DAYUM

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

SoCal80six 03-28-2016 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasbound972 (Post 2600621)
It's good. Had to replace it because my Trd shifter worked itself loose and when I was carving the canyon roads, it didn't go into 4th properly and I fucked the syncros. Other than that it holds the power just fine. Even the stock axles. My driveshaftshop ones should be here from being repaired by the end of this week or next week. As long as you don't launch with the stock axles, you'll be okay.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Will keep that in mind not to launch ahah. Are you running a aem failsafe of yours?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

texasbound972 03-28-2016 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal80six (Post 2600630)
Will keep that in mind not to launch ahah. Are you running a aem failsafe of yours?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Yes, installed after having it over a year lol. Just procrastinated putting it in. No fancy bracket or mount needed! http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...c9becf1875.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

SoCal80six 03-28-2016 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasbound972 (Post 2600644)
Yes, installed after having it over a year lol. Just procrastinated putting it in. No fancy bracket or mount needed! http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...c9becf1875.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Did you wire to your ecu?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

texasbound972 03-28-2016 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal80six (Post 2600646)
Did you wire to your ecu?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I didn't rewire my ecu.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

SoCal80six 03-28-2016 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasbound972 (Post 2600651)
I didn't rewire my ecu.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

How did you install failsafe?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.