Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   The "I love my BRZ" thread (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69070)

Erci 06-29-2014 09:51 PM

The "I love my BRZ" thread

Plenty of threads on here about minor (and some major) issues. But how about a "I have no problems, my BRZ is perfect!" thread?
Share your story.. as in "I've got xxxxx miles on my car.. still perfect.. still love it!"

I'm still waiting for my 2015.. and wanna read some positive stuff about these cars (besides how great they are to drive) :D

P.S. sorry if such a thread already exists.

Bobblehead 06-29-2014 09:59 PM

The only issues I've had were the crickets, and now my shift knob vibrates at 4k+ RPM. Otherwise, I love it.

Sure it could use some more power, but it doesn't NEED more power. It handles like a dream, drives great in the city, on the backroads, and on the highway. There are little quirks to the car, but you'll get that with any car.

I'm at ~5,800 miles, and I still love my BRZ!

Oh, and it gets really great gas mileage. Especially compared to my last car.

Seabrz 06-29-2014 10:01 PM

I love my BRZ. I've had it since last September, have about 12k miles on it. I've never once regretted my decision (I had a 400hp Challenger before). The car is a joy to drive. I don't think I've had any real issues with it. It does occasionally chirp but who cares, I'm usually listening to music

ZionsWrath 06-29-2014 10:03 PM

eh, mines OK :iono:

:burnrubber:

Turbo95eg6 06-29-2014 10:09 PM

It's alright. I'll keep it for another year or two.

Natheria 06-29-2014 10:13 PM

Other than literally yelling at my navscreen to shut up while going into work today because i couldn't figure out how to turn nav off without pulling the SD card out I'm pretty good (finally figured out how to cancel route after getting out of work)...

I keep on getting a big goofy grin on my face while driving without meaning too. I just love all the little things about this car.

Turbowned 06-29-2014 10:25 PM

I have plenty of minor gripes about my BRZ, but it's a sub-$30k car, so you can't expect utter perfection. However, when the circumstances are correct and I'm on the right road with the right weather and I can enjoy the thrill of driving, that's when I most love my car. Also, every time I walk up to or away from it 'cause it just looks so sexy! Driving it and feeling the taut suspension, the snick-snick of the shifter, the cat-like reflexes, the clean growl of the exhaust... I could go on.

TEXAS_LE 06-30-2014 01:03 AM

I have close to 6,000 miles since March, and I still love my car, with no major issues to speak of.

JonnyRocket 06-30-2014 01:38 AM

23k in and I've had almost zero issues. Still look forward to driving it everyday!

edeekeos 06-30-2014 01:48 AM

I love my SWP more and more each day. It's truly a drivers car, makes me grin from ear to ear after every drive. Yeah, it has it's minor issues, but what car doesn't. The good thing is, there are easy fixes for most of those. I love the car even more after my OFT and e85 switch over. ;)

lionbacker54 06-30-2014 09:53 AM

I think this cars strength is its versatility and affordability. For a car that really shines on the track and auto cross, it is a great daily driver with unreal mpg. You don't have to tow a car to the track. Just drive there, spin around, and drive home!

krayzie 06-30-2014 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbowned (Post 1822498)
I have plenty of minor gripes about my BRZ, but it's a sub-$30k car, so you can't expect utter perfection.

You mean it's because the BRZ is not a Corolla or Camry. :D

Plenty of $100k+ German cars that are far from perfect in terms of ownership.

I absolutely love my BRZ it's even more of a poor man's Porsche than my previous Golf GTI.

GotBRZ1691 06-30-2014 10:34 AM

6,000 miles in 3 months. I love this car. DD all week long. Get away car all weekend. It may not be perfect or highly practical but F that shiz.I have no wife or kids, so I bought this car for me. Glad I chose this over the ten other cars I test drove.

Only problems I have had been related to the format of my pen drive for music and crickets, both have been fixed.

grinerizer 06-30-2014 10:46 AM

I was excited about this car when it was rumored years ago. It was the first car I drove when I started working for the dealer. I regularly drove one for work purposes for a few months. I bought one a few weeks ago.

Every time I've been behind the wheel, it's made me smile. That's something I can't put a price on. I love my BRZ.

extrashaky 06-30-2014 12:21 PM

Almost 15K on mine and no major problems. I have crickets, but I don't consider that a defect since it doesn't affect performance. I have also had the U0073 CEL problem from running Torque, but that's easily manageable. I had the weld joint clicking from the rear of the car, but either it fixed itself or I have grown immune to the sound.

My only disappointment is that I have a cracked windshield and some small dents in the hood from rocks slung up by trucks. Apparently the body panels on this car are made of tinfoil and the windshield is crystallized from sugar water. I'd like more durable paint, but I'm willing to live with what I have and just deal with repairs since a permanent fix would make it heavier.

JonnyRocket 06-30-2014 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by extrashaky (Post 1823146)
My only disappointment is that I have a cracked windshield and some small dents in the hood from rocks slung up by trucks. Apparently the body panels on this car are made of tinfoil and the windshield is crystallized from sugar water. I'd like more durable paint, but I'm willing to live with what I have and just deal with repairs since a permanent fix would make it heavier.

This has been my biggest issue as well. This thing is a friggin' magnet for paint chips and rock dents. When I got mine I slapped down $800 for paint correction and Opti-coat. If I could go back, I'd have clear-bra'd the whole front end and hood instead. I really, really recommend clear-bra if you can swing it, this paint is just so freaking thin!

Turbowned 06-30-2014 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krayzie (Post 1822966)
You mean it's because the BRZ is not a Corolla or Camry. :D

Plenty of $100k+ German cars that are far from perfect in terms of ownership.

I absolutely love my BRZ it's even more of a poor man's Porsche than my previous Golf GTI.

No, I mean it's not as solid as my Audi RS 6, which was a $100k+ German car when it was new (in today's dollars). I bought it 10yrs old for about the same price as the BRZ, but it still feels leaps and bounds more solid than the BRZ, expectedly so.

krayzie 06-30-2014 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbowned (Post 1823587)
No, I mean it's not as solid as my Audi RS 6, which was a $100k+ German car when it was new (in today's dollars). I bought it 10yrs old for about the same price as the BRZ, but it still feels leaps and bounds more solid than the BRZ, expectedly so.

What year is your RS6? To me VAG cars seemed a lot better built over a decade or so ago (just about everything for that matter going back the last 2 to 3 decades). It's hard to compare build quality from different eras regardless of price points.

PHLonomenal 06-30-2014 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krayzie (Post 1822966)

Agreed. It is extremely obvious they studied the shit outta the Cayman but beyond that there is some SERIOUS 240z, Miata and certain 2000GT DNA in this car. As well as some other coveted Japanese cars I neglected to mention.

SirBrass 06-30-2014 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erci (Post 1822456)
Plenty of threads on here about minor (and some major) issues. But how about a "I have no problems, my BRZ is perfect!" thread?
Share your story.. as in "I've got xxxxx miles on my car.. still perfect.. still love it!"

I'm still waiting for my 2015.. and wanna read some positive stuff about these cars (besides how great they are to drive) :D

P.S. sorry if such a thread already exists.

I love my brz. I have an engine-back exhaust and an EcuTek tune from nelsmar, and she runs great! I have all the shifter mods (short shifter from kb, rear bushing, mount bushing, mTech springs, and light weight knob) as well, and motul gear 300 in the transmission, and 14k on the ODO. Bought her back in early November, and I think the stock tires are now starting to wear out a bit (or at least have their grip broken just a bit more often now).

I LOVE how this car drives. She's simply a joy to drive, even when I don't feel like driving I always enjoy driving this car.

She's a little (okay, more than a little) dirty at the moment, so she's going to get washed tomorrow, as I'm going on a date tomorrow and a clean car is part of a good impression (that, and I like my car to be clean-looking). So, that's a downside (black gets dirty SO quickly), but not much of one. The crickets aren't major, the exhaust purrs so nicely (thanks to headers, hfc + hemholz resonated fp/op, and invidia q300 cbe) and at just the right volume too. The throttle response is nice, and due to the tune, my gas efficiency on ACN91 has very much improved such that I don't need to drive like a total granny in order to hit 30mpg (though normally I get 28 mpg average over an entire tank, which is a 2-3 mpg increase from before I got tuned).

Sure I've gotten rock chips, and have already had the windshield replaced once (THANK YOU full auto-glass policy! no deductible!), but I plan on doing a full vinyl wrap eventually in order to change the color (color change plus original protection all in one!), so I'm no longer all THAT pissed about it. On black the rock chips aren't big enough to really affect the outward look of the car. You have to be inspecting the car for chips in order to then see them (that's when they stand out pretty glaringly).

LOVE LOVE LOVE this car! :D At this point in time with my STI, I was already wishing for a different car. But, like when I had my WRX, I'm still very happy to own this car. The honeymoon has faded, but the giddiness has been replaced by simple contentment.

I'm not trading this beauty in for ANYTHING (not even a really nice Cayman S) any time soon. She's perfect for me financially and automotively (if that's even a word).

SirBrass 06-30-2014 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyRocket (Post 1823504)
This has been my biggest issue as well. This thing is a friggin' magnet for paint chips and rock dents. When I got mine I slapped down $800 for paint correction and Opti-coat. If I could go back, I'd have clear-bra'd the whole front end and hood instead. I really, really recommend clear-bra if you can swing it, this paint is just so freaking thin!

That's a problem with ALL new cars these days thanks to federal regulations on paint. The paint isn't so much thin as it's not very resilient b/c of the chemicals no longer allowed to be used in it.

Natheria 06-30-2014 05:59 PM

Quote:

when you say about the same price, is that before or after maintenance? :bellyroll:

WuTangWindu 06-30-2014 06:27 PM

Betty Blue has got 7.5k Miles and I have been away from her for 5 months. I can not wait to be reunited with her in a little over a month.

roybotnik 07-02-2014 09:56 AM

Quote:

Hmm I'm trading my '08 997 turbo for a BRZ. BRZ feels more solid. On my Porsche I've spent $3500 on a clutch, $1000 to do spark plugs, $800 to install a $6000 exhaust system, $300 for a window seal. After all that, the shifter is sloppy as shit, the car bucks when going into gear, interior rattles and squeaks. All it really has going for it is the torque.

German cars are a heartbreakers. They are all incredibly flawed and the price of German plastic is staggering. This is after owning E55 AMG, M3, 911 turbo, etc...

Turbowned 07-02-2014 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natheria (Post 1823746)
when you say about the same price, is that before or after maintenance? :bellyroll:

Considering I don't have to modify it to be happy with it, and I've dumped about $20k into the BRZ to be happy with it, I'd say it's a real bargain! Maintenance has been very reasonable thus far. Insurance and fuel however, are another story.

Natheria 07-02-2014 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbowned (Post 1826633)
Considering I don't have to modify it to be happy with it, and I've dumped about $20k into the BRZ to be happy with it, I'd say it's a real bargain! Maintenance has been very reasonable thus far. Insurance and fuel however, are another story.

Hot damn, 20 grand!? I guess everyone has different parameters before they are satisfied but wow...

Turbowned 07-03-2014 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natheria (Post 1827216)
Hot damn, 20 grand!? I guess everyone has different parameters before they are satisfied but wow...

Yeah.... got a little out-of-hand quickly... I'm starting to think this:

https://i.imgflip.com/a19cg.jpg