Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Engine idle chirping (cricket) noise poll. (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9836)

Hanzo 06-26-2012 06:48 AM

Engine idle chirping (cricket) noise poll.

Please only vote after you have driven your car for over 300 miles.

I've posted this on the BRZ section as well. Please only vote once in either section.

Sigh-on-Rice 06-26-2012 07:24 AM

I noticed this noise just about when I made 300 miles. I have 420 miles now. I can hear this noise from the inside of the car as well.

ssmtsx 06-26-2012 07:41 AM

1300 miles here. Had my oil changed yesterday and it was doing it on my way home.

Spaceywilly 06-26-2012 09:28 AM

I am the only no vote so far. I had it once or twice but not regularly.

Hanzo 06-26-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaceywilly (Post 279440)
I am the only no vote so far. I had it once or twice but not regularly.

I think I would consider that yes, you have the noise it's just not regular. BTW it only happens once the car is driven. When I fire it up in the morning it doesn't make the noise.

Linseal 06-26-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssmtsx (Post 279310)
1300 miles here. Had my oil changed yesterday and it was doing it on my way home.

Why did you change your oil so early?

Jayde 06-26-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linseal (Post 279703)
Why did you change your oil so early?

My guess is to get any shavings out of the engine. I'll be doing mine soon.

I voted in the BRZ forum for this topic. Interested to see what the FR-S owners are saying. Seems it's a 17 with to 1 without at the moment.

Spd229 06-26-2012 01:14 PM

slight chirp yeah. definitely only after running for a while.

pyro530 06-26-2012 01:15 PM

Seems like it happens every once in a while and it is more noticeable at times because it sometimes gets a little louder.

Hanzo 06-26-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayde (Post 279882)
My guess is to get any shavings out of the engine. I'll be doing mine soon.

I voted in the BRZ forum for this topic. Interested to see what the FR-S owners are saying. Seems it's a 17 with to 1 without at the moment.

The one without is because it only happened to him couple times but it still happened.

Bonburner 06-26-2012 02:29 PM

I'm almost at 300 miles, but I've heard the chirping here and there occasionally since I got the car.
I'll restrain for clicking Yes until I hit 300 just to make this poll as accurate and precise and possible - at least from my side.

Hanzo 06-26-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonburner (Post 280018)
I'm almost at 300 miles, but I've heard the chirping here and there occasionally since I got the car.
I'll restrain for clicking Yes until I hit 300 just to make this poll as accurate and precise and possible - at least from my side.

If you hear it at all you should click yes. I'm sure it'll happen again like the rest of us.

Bonburner 06-26-2012 02:44 PM

I'm close enough actually, ~275 miles or so, hit Yes.
I won't be hitting the roads for any substantial miles until Friday haha.

Re~Mix 06-26-2012 02:48 PM

I think it would be great if there was a definition of the 'chirping' and perhaps a video on the main 1st post.

At 1500 miles myself, and trying to diagnose if I experience this.

Spd229 06-26-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Re~Mix (Post 280047)
I think it would be great if there was a definition of the 'chirping' and perhaps a video on the main 1st post.

At 1500 miles myself, and trying to diagnose if I experience this.

It's sounded very similar to any belt chirp I've ever heard before. Though very light and very cricket like for sure, just very quick chirps roughly within a second of one another I think.

I'll see if I can get a video or audio clip today after driving home from work and post it up here

Lowellrenzo 06-26-2012 03:32 PM

I didn't realize mine was chirping untill I saw the video of someone car then I went to check mine it was chirping like crazy

Tomzilla 06-26-2012 03:34 PM

Here's a video I posted in another thread. This is the chirping I hear from my BRZ:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o-evv4VPCU"]WP 20120620 213109Z - YouTube[/ame]

Spd229 06-26-2012 05:41 PM

I was going to post a video, but this one sounds exactly like what I just recorded lol.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK_4uZz-oQo"]BRZ Chirping - YouTube[/ame]

Jayde 06-26-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spd229 (Post 280425)
I was going to post a video, but this one sounds exactly like what I just recorded lol.

BRZ Chirping - YouTube

Oh, look, my video! :wub:

Shagaliscious 06-26-2012 08:02 PM

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csYmda3dGVY&feature=related"]FR-S Engine Noise - YouTube[/ame]

This guy also shows a pulley that is shaking, but he said he went to the dealer and they said the chirping is the DI system.

YukiHachiRoku 06-26-2012 08:22 PM

I just noticed this today too, I think it's normal?

R3L3NTL3S 06-26-2012 08:29 PM

The chirping is normal. Its from the high pressure fuel pump used to provide such high fuel pressure to the DI system. When I had my speed3 running E85 I would hear this all the time. It is nothing to worry about.

Hanzo 06-26-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R3L3NTL3S (Post 280751)
The chirping is normal. Its from the high pressure fuel pump used to provide such high fuel pressure to the DI system. When I had my speed3 running E85 I would hear this all the time. It is nothing to worry about.

So why does it start only after you have driven around for 5 miles or so and why does it start happening after 300 miles (my case)?

Spaceywilly 06-26-2012 09:04 PM

The car uses port and direct injection while the engine is warming up and switches to DI only at some point. No idea about the 300 miles part, probably just parts of the engine breaking in. The high pressure fuel pump runs off the crank shaft and uses engine oil for lubrication so I'm sure there is a break in process just like the rest of the engine. One of the few times I heard it was when I was showing the engine to someone, it had been on for a minutes already, and I heard an audible click and then it started making the chirping noise. I assume that click was the engine switching to DI.

R3L3NTL3S 06-26-2012 09:13 PM

It is very different to hear that this engine uses the crankshaft to provide energy for the HPFP. Usually it is powered by the cam but, that is on most VW's and MS3's with DI. As for why you can't hear it until 300 miles is beyond me. I probably wouldn't notice it until roughly a few weeks or so considering its a new car and I would know all of its normal noises.

Bonburner 06-26-2012 09:24 PM

This has been verified as ABnormal.
The DI noise is understood, the high pitch cricket noise is not.

Spaceywilly 06-26-2012 09:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by R3L3NTL3S (Post 280843)
It is very different to hear that this engine uses the crankshaft to provide energy for the HPFP. Usually it is powered by the cam but, that is on most VW's and MS3's with DI. As for why you can't hear it until 300 miles is beyond me. I probably wouldn't notice it until roughly a few weeks or so considering its a new car and I would know all of its normal noises.

You're right, it is by the intake cam. See attached

drftrdie 06-26-2012 09:47 PM

mine did it since it was new

Rod M 06-27-2012 05:44 AM

wow these results are higher than I expected, hopefully they will have this issue fixed before my car gets built next month,

Hanzo 06-27-2012 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rod M (Post 281643)
wow these results are higher than I expected, hopefully they will have this issue fixed before my car gets built next month,

I was thinking it should be much higher like 99% of us has the sound.

Linseal 06-27-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drftrdie (Post 280900)
mine did it since it was new

Me too

Bonburner 06-27-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanzo (Post 281691)
I was thinking it should be much higher like 99% of us has the sound.

I hope that the people that hit No are opening the hood and not just listening from cabin.
Can't really hear it in there but outside with the hood open definitely.

Spaceywilly 06-27-2012 11:28 AM

so you would consider it an issue if you have to open the hood to hear it? I guess the way people are reacting I thought it was a loud sound like something was wrong. If it's just a part of the normal operation and you can only hear it with the hood open I don't really see how that's anything to worry about.

russv 06-27-2012 11:32 AM

Mine has done it once in 1000 miles

Bonburner 06-27-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaceywilly (Post 282020)
so you would consider it an issue if you have to open the hood to hear it? I guess the way people are reacting I thought it was a loud sound like something was wrong. If it's just a part of the normal operation and you can only hear it with the hood open I don't really see how that's anything to worry about.

The high pitch noise is a problem - its not designed and expected to be there at all.
DI noise isn't the high pitched noise but rather the tick tick - not a problem and should be there.
Whether you can hear it from the cabin or just outside is just how badly things have gone wrong.
It shouldn't be there at all - waiting until you can hear it in the cabin just means the problem has escalated.

Thank you Toyobaru for taking this seriously from the start!

Hanzo 06-27-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Mine as it gets warmer, it gets louder, I can hear it stopping at a light with the windows up.

Re~Mix 06-28-2012 12:13 AM

Checked today with my fingers crossed.

Unfortunately heard the chirping whilst idling at a stop sign, loud and clear.

fistpoint 06-28-2012 12:23 AM

Quote:

No, it's considered an issue because most do it while few don't. It's an all or nothing problem, not a random adventure.

For the life of me I cannot comprehend what is going through some of you peoples minds when clearly it isn't a noise that 100% of the vehicles have based on the poll/thread you are currently browsing. You don't need to be a scientist or a mechanic to see the evidence.

100% have the noise = normal(God forbid they would actually build an engine this way), if one single vehicle doesn't make the noise, then it's abnormal. How much more clear can it be? :bonk:

luscious 06-28-2012 12:30 AM

I agree...This cant be normal. My car makes the chirp, but its pretty quiet. Not intrusive at all, and only noticeable at idle. I have about 700 miles on my car.

Username 06-28-2012 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fistpoint (Post 283574)
100% have the noise = normal(God forbid they would actually build an engine this way), if one single vehicle doesn't make the noise, then it's abnormal. How much more clear can it be? :bonk:

The poll, as of this writing, says that more then 80% of owners hear the noise. I would say that that suggests that the "issue" is rather common, and I would not be surprised if the ~20% who voted no just did not hear/take the time to notice it. We have to remember that this poll probably has a fairly substantial margin or error, as many people have had to ask what qualifies as the "dreaded chirp of dooooooooooom!"

Full disclosure though, I am no auto mechanic; but I hope that I am right. I tend to be an optimistic one.