Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   RR Racing Brake Development -- Competition and Street (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90379)

Rafi@RR-racing 10-08-2015 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ck-GT86 (Post 2406923)
Would it be okay to run the stage II up front with BP20's, and keep my rear brake setup of: Centric blanks with Carbotech XP8's?

Need to mention that I'm supercharged too.

@Rafi@RR-racing

.ck

Sorry I missed your question! Yes, if you are tracking the car, when keeping the stock rear brakes, we recommend going to a more aggressive pad in rear compared to front, based on our testing, that works well. We have Winmax W5's for stock rears in stock, and they will complement the BP20 fronts.

But in our experience, the best solution is to upgrade the rears IF the car is being tracked. BTW, in about 2-3 weeks, we will announce a new rear 4 piston kit. The new design allows us to offer front and rear 4 piston upgrade for about $1600, and allows for much more rear bias.

Rafi
-Rafi

Rookie84 10-08-2015 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafi@RR-racing (Post 2413600)
Sorry I missed your question! Yes, if you are tracking the car, when keeping the stock rear brakes, we recommend going to a more aggressive pad in rear compared to front, based on our testing, that works well. We have Winmax W5's for stock rears in stock, and they will complement the BP20 fronts.

But in our experience, the best solution is to upgrade the rears IF the car is being tracked. BTW, in about 2-3 weeks, we will announce a new rear 4 piston kit. The new design allows us to offer front and rear 4 piston upgrade for about $1600, and allows for much more rear bias.

Rafi
-Rafi

BP20 works well with racing pads in the rear stock brakes? I thought HP Plus or similar dual-purpose pads were the usual recommendation for stock rears to work with your BBK up front with BP 20 pads. Can you elaborate? :)

BTW, are there still no plans to release rear BBK with e-brake functionality for people that drift? ;)

Rafi@RR-racing 10-08-2015 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rookie84 (Post 2413749)
BP20 works well with racing pads in the rear stock brakes? I thought HP Plus or similar dual-purpose pads were the usual recommendation for stock rears to work with your BBK up front with BP 20 pads. Can you elaborate? :)

BTW, are there still no plans to release rear BBK with e-brake functionality for people that drift? ;)

We tried the BP20 and BP30 fronts with W5's OEM rear pads, and it works well on the track, a bit noisy for the street. HP Plus works well street and track, but doesn't have as much heat capability as the W5's.

Yes, in about 3 weeks we have a new rear kit, it will retail for about $800, it will use STi rotors and Wilwood 4 piston calipers, with a significant rear bias shift compared to OEM or STi Brembos.

Rafi

Rookie84 10-08-2015 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafi@RR-racing (Post 2413801)
We tried the BP20 and BP30 fronts with W5's OEM rear pads, and it works well on the track, a bit noisy for the street. HP Plus works well street and track, but doesn't have as much heat capability as the W5's.

Yes, in about 3 weeks we have a new rear kit, it will retail for about $800, it will use STi rotors and Wilwood 4 piston calipers, with a significant rear bias shift compared to OEM or STi Brembos.

Rafi

Sounds nice! So the new rear kit retains stock e-brake functionality or not?

I think for my purposes (occasional HPDE and drift days participation), I can get away with upgrading the fronts only but if you plan on making rears with e-brake functionality retained so I can use them while drifting, I wouldn't mind upgrading the rears as well.. ;)

Rafi@RR-racing 10-08-2015 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rookie84 (Post 2413819)
Sounds nice! So the new rear kit retains stock e-brake functionality or not?

I think for my purposes (occasional HPDE and drift days participation), I can get away with upgrading the fronts only but if you plan on making rears with e-brake functionality retained so I can use them while drifting, I wouldn't mind upgrading the rears as well.. ;)

Yes, sorry for not making that clear. Because we are using STi rotors, the e-brake is fully functional for drifting. We don't recommend using STi rear brembo calipers because they screw up the bias on the 86 bigtime!

We are also coming out with a lower cost 4 piston front kit. The combined cost of our 4 piston fronts and 4 piston rears will be less than the ST40 kits.

Adding the additional rear bias with our new rear kit will improve braking more than using ANY crazy expensive front kit.

Rafi

Rookie84 10-08-2015 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafi@RR-racing (Post 2413845)
Yes, sorry for not making that clear. Because we are using STi rotors, the e-brake is fully functional for drifting. We don't recommend using STi rear brembo calipers because they screw up the bias on the 86 bigtime!

We are also coming out with a lower cost 4 piston front kit. The combined cost of our 4 piston fronts and 4 piston rears will be less than the ST40 kits.

Adding the additional rear bias with our new rear kit will improve braking more than using ANY crazy expensive front kit.

Rafi

Thanks for the clarification! I'll be looking forward to the release! :)

EDIT: 1 more question. Will your new rear BBK work with your current 6-piston stg. 1 or 2 fronts?

Rafi@RR-racing 10-11-2015 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rookie84 (Post 2413884)
Thanks for the clarification! I'll be looking forward to the release! :)

EDIT: 1 more question. Will your new rear BBK work with your current 6-piston stg. 1 or 2 fronts?

Yes, it will work with any of our front kits, and should even work well with our competitors front kits. The 86 seems to really benefit from more rear bias.

Rafi

jiaim 10-11-2015 04:35 PM

eager to see the 4 + 4 solution !

Rafi@RR-racing 10-15-2015 04:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Wishing our friends at Gear One Performance well... on October 24th, they will be competing in a 12 hour SCCA Enduro event at VIR with our Stage 4 fronts and Stage I rears.

AZP Installs 10-16-2015 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafi@RR-racing (Post 2421113)
Wishing our friends at Gear One Performance well... on October 24th, they will be competing in a 12 hour SCCA Enduro event at VIR with our Stage 4 fronts and Stage I rears.

Need to get these guys to do Spec86 Cup....

ravisraval 10-16-2015 10:07 PM

Just got the stage 1 kit from Neal@The Racer's Line.
With a 5 mm spacer it clears RPF1 17x9 +45.

The Racers Line 10-16-2015 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravisraval (Post 2422443)
Just got the stage 1 kit from Neal@The Racer's Line.
With a 5 mm spacer it clears RPF1 17x9 +45.

:party0030:

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...pseqi88naw.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...psu3q9jism.jpg

Rookie84 10-18-2015 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafi@RR-racing (Post 2416734)
Yes, it will work with any of our front kits, and should even work well with our competitors front kits. The 86 seems to really benefit from more rear bias.

Rafi

Rafi, sorry to bother you but here's another question. :D Will your 4 piston kits have better wheel clearance than your 6 piston kits? I really wanted to run your stage 2 kit but it doesn't fit RPF-1 17X9 +35 without spacers which are the wheels that I want to run :p

Rafi@RR-racing 10-18-2015 03:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rookie84 (Post 2423359)
Rafi, sorry to bother you but here's another question. :D Will your 4 piston kits have better wheel clearance than your 6 piston kits? I really wanted to run your stage 2 kit but it doesn't fit RPF-1 17X9 +35 without spacers which are the wheels that I want to run :p

Our new 4 piston front kit will not clear RPF1 17x9+35. It will easily clear the 17x8+45 version for the BRZ (this is due to the dish on the 17x9's which is not so good for caliper clearance).

That said, a couple years ago we built a Turbo 86 with this exact setup as our new 4 piston kit and it fit 17x9 RPF's with just a 3mm spacer. With such a minimal spacer you don't even have to change the studs, you get enough thread engagement.

That said, it is a bit of pain that you have to use a spacer, BUT, the upside is that the new 4 piston kit uses the thick 0.8" pads.