Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Toyota S-FR Concept!! (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95956)

gymratter 08-03-2018 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3117284)
Even that is two years old.

yes, but look at how long it has taken them make the Zupra. :lol:

Tcoat 08-03-2018 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymratter (Post 3117613)
yes, but look at how long it has taken them make the Zupra. :lol:

But also look at the amount of "leaked" info and how active the forum was. The whole SFR project just disappeared. There is literally not one word about it anyplace but this forum for the last two years.

Sasquachulator 08-03-2018 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3117622)
But also look at the amount of "leaked" info and how active the forum was. The whole SFR project just disappeared. There is literally not one word about it anyplace but this forum for the last two years.

I'd imagine an SFR has to be something different than just a shorter twin with 2 less seats, which is what it seems like it was.

Don't think the "same but smaller" philosophy works here as they can just try to create the next gen of twins to be more versatile (drop top, rear seat delete, more engine options, etc)

gymratter 08-03-2018 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3117622)

true, i think the only thing we have to go by is the ToyotaUK interview where Tada still talked about the idea of a 3 sports car line up. now whether that is something like the SFR or a MR2 is anyone's guess.

squall leonhart 09-14-2018 11:24 AM

Not much to it, but at least it was an article:

https://jalopnik.com/what-the-hell-h...-fr-1827889142

gymratter 09-14-2018 11:38 AM

@zakira said in this interview Tada brings up a 3rd sports car.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwNqhy6mWag[/ame]

m.box.design 09-14-2018 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymratter (Post 3133191)
@zakira said in this interview Tada brings up a 3rd sports car.

GT86
Supra
GR Super Sports

R_E_L 09-15-2018 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m.box.design (Post 3133227)
GT86
Supra
GR Super Sports

I had forgotten all about the GR SS, that very well could be the lineup

venturaII 03-21-2019 12:34 PM

Bumping this up, just because I'm pissed off they just let this well received gem die before it even got out the door...

gymratter 03-21-2019 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m.box.design (Post 3133227)
GT86
Supra
GR Super Sports

but thats going to be a limited to 100 units, and not to mention the million dollar price tag.

squall leonhart 03-21-2019 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by venturaII (Post 3198556)
Bumping this up, just because I'm pissed off they just let this well received gem die before it even got out the door...

Agreed. I'm not big on social media at all...but every once in awhile I just go and reply to all their posts on Twitter to reference moving the SF-R to production.

If they had the SF-R on lots or even on the way right now (with a Toyota drivetrain) I'd be trading in the FR-S on the spot and buying the SF-R.

Why does it have to be too much to ask to get a Toyota designed RWD coupe with a Toyota engine/transmission? :(

Sasquachulator 03-21-2019 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squall leonhart (Post 3198576)
Agreed. I'm not big on social media at all...but every once in awhile I just go and reply to all their posts on Twitter to reference moving the SF-R to production.

If they had the SF-R on lots or even on the way right now (with a Toyota drivetrain) I'd be trading in the FR-S on the spot and buying the SF-R.

Why does it have to be too much to ask to get a Toyota designed RWD coupe with a Toyota engine/transmission? :(

Because aside from the 2UR V8 Toyota doesn't really have any sporty engines in their lineup.

Of course that could all change once the Dynamic force family rolls out in full (right now the new 4 bangers are the Camry 2.5L 203hp and the Corolla hatch 2.0L 168hp dynamic force motors. I think at this point theres still a few more motors to come to replace more of the non-dynamic force engines) and maybe some more manual transmissions (iThe corolla hatch might have the only new 6 speed manual....everything else seems to use carryover transmissions)

Also the TNGA architecture...not sure if its setup for RWD applications in a small sized car (AFAIK the Crown and the Lexus products are RWD TNGA...but they're all pretty big cars utilizing it right now)

Tcoat 03-21-2019 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squall leonhart (Post 3198576)

Money, money and money.
Other than the specialty makes (i.e. Porsche) or the long timers (i.e. Corvette) the day of the individual manufacturer sports car is over. Even if the SF-R were to ever be made, which I doubt at this point, it would be in conjunction with somebody else. The costs to develop and build it independently are now just to high. If they made one all on their own and then wanted $80K for it instead of $30K would you still be interested?

venturaII 03-21-2019 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3198588)
Money, money and money.
Other than the specialty makes (i.e. Porsche) or the long timers (i.e. Corvette) the day of the individual manufacturer sports car is over. Even if the SF-R were to ever be made, which I doubt at this point, it would be in conjunction with somebody else. The costs to develop and build it independently are now just to high. If they made one all on their own and then wanted $80K for it instead of $30K would you still be interested?

Mazda seems like a no-brainer to team up with to supply drivetrain and chassis technology...The 115bhp Skyactive 1.5 is already being shared in the former Scion iA and Toyota Yaris, and a quick warm-up tune could put it in the 130bhp range, which would work nicely with a ~2100 pound curb weight of the S-FR. Miata NC 5 speed could be shared with the Fiat 124. Similarly, between the FT86 and NC/ND Miata platforms, I'm sure an inexpensive and effective chassis/suspension solution could be arranged.

I think Toyota is afraid the S-FR and the 86 are too closely related, in terms of market. They're both small 4 cyl 2+2 coupes, blah blah blah...