Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78610)

Summerwolf 07-06-2015 11:32 AM

Really hoping some more information is released soon. :thumbup:

F3RGY68 07-06-2015 12:49 PM

Debut of E-Force equipped vehicles and display supercharger on August 1 at this event.
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/auto-en...ts-16125876932

Freeman 07-06-2015 12:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by F3RGY68 (Post 2311157)
Debut of E-Force equipped vehicles and display supercharger on August 1 at this event.
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/auto-en...ts-16125876932

got beat to it.

Summerwolf 07-06-2015 01:17 PM

blah, at least there is some forward movement.

funwheeldrive 07-07-2015 02:27 PM

Time to start saving my pennies.

BigFatFlip 07-07-2015 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funwheeldrive (Post 2312758)
Time to start saving my pennies.

I have a feeling it's gonna take a whooole lotta pennies...

SkiRideDrive 07-27-2015 11:57 AM

Dyno graph is up! (rear wheel numbers)

http://www.edelbrock.com/news_releas...6-Graph-4C.jpg

Freeman 07-27-2015 12:04 PM

Must be the CARB tune

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkiRideDrive 07-27-2015 12:46 PM

Here is the description that came in the email... so yea carb tune I believe.

Dyno Results are in...
Edelbrock's calibration team has completed exhaustive testing and tuning on the E-Force equipped Subaru BRZ. The main objective was to create a calibration that delivers the most power while remaining safe, reliable, and within strict emissions standards. Although 50 state emissions legal status is still pending, we are excited to announce that we have succeeded at meeting the other objectives.
Not only does the E-Force Supercharger produce significant power gains throughout the entire RPM range, it also eliminates the inherent mid-range power dip. The results are smooth and consistent power curves. The E-Force system deliveres peak power of 242 RWHP and 189 RWTQ, for a total gain of 77 RWHP and 57 RWTQ. Want to see the results for yourself? Click the button below!

SkiRideDrive 07-27-2015 12:47 PM

Does anyone have stock vs jackson racing carb rear wheel graphs for comparison?

starron 07-27-2015 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkiRideDrive (Post 2336357)

http://jacksonracing.com/jr-media/up..._stock_web.jpg

BigFatFlip 07-27-2015 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkiRideDrive (Post 2336357)

I would guess try checking in the JR owners thread...

Just off the top of my head, the JR rotrex spools up closer to 5k rpm, so peak torque is further up the rev range compared to the e-force, which looks to have a nice early and flat curve. I'm not too crazy about the cartoony dyno plot (seems more for advertising) but would be interested in seeing an official, more detailed one.

Either way, really excited to see that CARB will be coming eventually. With Kraftwerks and WORKS getting their certifications, its nice that us Californians can have options.

EDIT: looking @starron post above, looks like peak torque is more like at 6.5k rpm. Either way, looks like the e-force may have more usable torque, we'll see...

tahdizzle 07-27-2015 01:28 PM

You had me at hello.

SkiRideDrive 07-27-2015 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starron (Post 2336422)

FRS Factory Measurement (crankshaft)

Peak Torque: 151 lbft

Peak HP: 200 hp

Jackson Racing Measurements

Peak Torque 150.3 lbft to 216.6 lbft -- Gain of 66.3 lbft

Peak Horsepower 186.5 lbft to 282.7 lbft -- Gain of 96.1 lbft

Edelbrock Measurements

Peak Torque 132 lbft to 189 lbft -- Gain of 57 lbft

Peak Horsepower 165 to 242 lbft -- Gain of 77 hp

The figures above are peak only and don't take into account the twin screw setup from edelbrock to outflow the centrifugal rotrex from jackson racing on the low end.

Also... I believe the jackson racing measureemtns to be corrected. At least for this comparison, we can compare the stock outputs measured by each company. Jackson racing stock horsepower is 186.5 versus edelbrock stock hp of 165. Lets prepare a conversion factor. 186.5/165 = 1.13 or 13%.

Now... corrected edelbrock peak measurements.

189 * 1.13 = 213.6 lbft

242 * 1.13 = 273.5 hp

Now.. a more direct comparison.

Edelbrock 213.6 lbft versus 216 lbft for jackson racing.
Edelbrock 273.5 hp versus 282.7 hp for jackson racing.

And finally, the torque curve for edelbrock, which seems superior on the bottom end from the image... but we need real numbers to compare.

http://www.edelbrock.com/news_releas...6-Graph-4C.jpg

SkiRideDrive 07-27-2015 01:52 PM

Also, edelbrocks illustration of a torque curve may not match the digital readouts exactly. Only time will tell I suppose.

Also, curious what edelbrock will charge for their setup. Jackson racing charges $4995 with carb tune.

Cross 07-27-2015 02:29 PM

Considering the type of Supercharger wouldn't it make sense to compare it to say the Sprintex as well since that's the closest comparison?

BigFatFlip 07-27-2015 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkiRideDrive (Post 2336485)
Also, edelbrocks illustration of a torque curve may not match the digital readouts exactly. Only time will tell I suppose.

Also, curious what edelbrock will charge for their setup. Jackson racing charges $4995 with carb tune.

Appreciate your comparo, but to me, still not enough info to make a "should I get this or that SC" comparison. Lots of things to take into account: price, CARB (some take a long time to get it, although Edelbrock has a lot of experience and good track record of getting these), reliability, and application (seems like the e-force maybe a good everyday street vs the JR which is a track proven set-up)

Freeman 07-27-2015 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cross (Post 2336537)
Considering the type of Supercharger wouldn't it make sense to compare it to say the Sprintex as well since that's the closest comparison?

What?! Compare a twin screw to a twin screw?! That makes too much sense for the Internet.

FLIPs_FR-S 07-27-2015 02:38 PM

What about the Harrop Engineering SC. They may have information out soon too. They aren't moving along as fast at edelbrock. Maybe they are being more discreet though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Cross 07-27-2015 02:40 PM

Harrop is another I would like to see, I use a lot of their products on my GTO

SkiRideDrive 07-27-2015 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cross (Post 2336537)

Probably... but the Jackson was my number one choice due to reviews and carb until edelbrock came along. So that's where I put my effort in comparing.

SkiRideDrive 07-27-2015 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeman (Post 2336542)
What?! Compare a twin screw to a twin screw?! That makes too much sense for the Internet.

Go away troll. If you have something to provide to the discussion please do so.

Freeman 07-27-2015 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkiRideDrive (Post 2336558)
Go away troll. If you have something to provide to the discussion please do so.

Sorry to hurt your feelings. Was merely agreeing with Cross about the "comparison". You're doing a fine job and keep up the great work.

Cross 07-27-2015 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkiRideDrive (Post 2336556)
Probably... but the Jackson was my number one choice due to reviews and carb until edelbrock came along. So that's where I put my effort in comparing.

I am not really worried about Carb Cert's as we don't have them here. I just want to see performance wise for a Twin Screw setup. I am looking into it now but it will probably be a lot easier once an outside source can show independent dyno results.

Freeman 07-27-2015 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkiRideDrive (Post 2336556)

Makes sense. But why not compare it to the carb legal tunes of the Innovate/Sprintex kit. Granted it's not a good comparison as this is a large SC vs a small SC, but it's in the right ball park due to being similar types of SC.

Maximania 07-27-2015 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeman (Post 2336542)

Isn't this an Eaton unit, also known as Roots type? Not a twinscrew. Though they are both PD

Freeman 07-27-2015 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maximania (Post 2336565)
Isn't this an Eaton unit, also known as Roots type? Not a twinscrew. Though they are both PD

True. So I guess we compare this to cosworth then?

Cross 07-27-2015 02:55 PM

The designs used by Eaton now (And Magnuson) claim to be comparable to Twin Screw's and technically they are twin blade setups.

Are they different yes, the Twin Screw is suppose to be far more efficient yet the Root's is the common blower used by OEM's. Again they both are PD Setups but to me Sprintex was not one I put next to say Kenny Bell.

Maximania 07-27-2015 03:02 PM

yup. Not particularly impressed with Cosworth numbers so far. Only ones to put up numbers for Cosworth as far I know is RallySport. Torque down low for a Roots type is pretty bad. It jumps and spikes early on, and only builds appreciable torque ~4000 rpms. The E-force seems to build it just a little bit earlier and stays more linear

Freeman 07-27-2015 03:07 PM

I've been following cosworth and edlebrock and Harrop. I haven't seen very much coverage on 3rd party dynos, but I hope that changes. I'd love to get a PD blower to replace my centrifugal unit. low end torque is what I'm mostly interested in.

CSG Mike 07-27-2015 03:26 PM

Perhaps I can shed more light on this.

The Edlebrock unit will have more torque down low, while the Jackson Racing supercharger will have more power up top. Different powerbands for different purposes. Ultimately, the powerbands of the units both have to work around the same restriction: CA 91 octane. This restriction works well in the favor of consumers in that it reveals how the two superchargers have strengths in different areas. The short version is that the TVS900 used in the Edlebrock system can start flowing more air sooner (at lower RPM) than the Rotrex in the Jackson Racing system, but ultimately is not as efficient in the upper half of the RPM range. Remember, both kits are working with a highly limiting CA 91, so the only way to really make more power, is to be more efficient.

I 100% expect the Edlebrock to be CARB before release, similar to Jackson Racing; both companies have a strong history of complete products that work out of the box without any fiddling, missing parts, "hacks", or complications.

Edlebrock pricing is still TBD, but I expect pricing to match the relative complexity of the system.

Per the bosses at CSG, CSG will be an Edlebrock dealer, and will have kits available at launch time.

The Harrop system will likely not be a contender in North America due to exchange rates, tariffs, etc.

SkiRideDrive 07-27-2015 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSG Mike (Post 2336613)
Perhaps I can shed more light on this.

The Edlebrock unit will have more torque down low, while the Jackson Racing supercharger will have more power up top. Different powerbands for different purposes. Ultimately, the powerbands of the units both have to work around the same restriction: CA 91 octane. This restriction works well in the favor of consumers in that it reveals how the two superchargers have strengths in different areas. The short version is that the TVS900 used in the Edlebrock system can start flowing more air sooner (at lower RPM) than the Rotrex in the Jackson Racing system, but ultimately is not as efficient in the upper half of the RPM range. Remember, both kits are working with a highly limiting CA 91, so the only way to really make more power, is to be more efficient.

I 100% expect the Edlebrock to be CARB before release, similar to Jackson Racing; both companies have a strong history of complete products that work out of the box without any fiddling, missing parts, "hacks", or complications.

Edlebrock pricing is still TBD, but I expect pricing to match the relative complexity of the system.

Per the bosses at CSG, CSG will be an Edlebrock dealer, and will have kits available at launch time.

The Harrop system will likely not be a contender in North America due to exchange rates, tariffs, etc.

When you say the price will reflect the complexity of the system, are you assuming it is more complex than say jackson racing setup, and thus will carry a higher pricetag?

Summerwolf 07-27-2015 03:38 PM

I thought they announced this was going to use a TVS 1320 unit?

Freeman 07-27-2015 03:43 PM

Thanks Mike!

Do you have any experience with Edlebrock systems? I've seen it referred to as "it'll break" in certain circles, and it made me a little wary. Admittedly I haven't done any looking into reliability of their other offerings yet, mainly because I know it'll be a tooth and nail fight with the wife to change over to a different type of boost. And I haven't even decided what I would go with yet

ohmai18 07-27-2015 03:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...psglosskff.jpg[/IMG]

sato 07-27-2015 10:55 PM

That torque curve just doesn't want to die... Granted, they only took it to approximately 7250rpm, but looks good to me!

SkiRideDrive 07-27-2015 11:00 PM

Any estimates on price?

A quick google search puts the somewhat comparable cosworth kit at $6500. I also looked at other edelbrock eforce kits and they seem to be over $6,000. Based on what I have seen it looks like it will have a price premium of at least $1,000 over the Jackson racing setup. Time will tell I suppose.

clayrush 07-28-2015 12:12 AM

I hope the tvs don't have the same issue with delamination of the rotors like my mp62 has.

CSG Mike 07-28-2015 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeman (Post 2336635)
Thanks Mike!

Do you have any experience with Edlebrock systems? I've seen it referred to as "it'll break" in certain circles, and it made me a little wary. Admittedly I haven't done any looking into reliability of their other offerings yet, mainly because I know it'll be a tooth and nail fight with the wife to change over to a different type of boost. And I haven't even decided what I would go with yet

I only have minimal experience, but a company does not successfully build a strong reputation for quality products if their products do not work well.

If you're looking to break records using Edlebrock kits (on any platform), you're probably going to have issues, but it's no different from trying to get 800hp out of a Jackson Racing supercharger system. Unrealistic goals tend to lead to a bad time.

JoeBoxer 07-28-2015 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSG Mike (Post 2337368)
I only have minimal experience, but a company does not successfully build a strong reputation for quality products if their products do not work well.

If you're looking to break records using Edlebrock kits (on any platform), you're probably going to have issues, but it's no different from trying to get 800hp out of a Jackson Racing supercharger system. Unrealistic goals tend to lead to a bad time.

Looking forward to hearing more from you once you get kits installed and dyno/track tested. The numbers aren't super impressive but as you mentioned the 91 octane isn't helping and their baseline number is very low. I would imagine with a quality header like a Tomei EL or JDL and 93 octane we could see 270 at the wheels and hit 300 with E85. I assume equal length would help get some top end power to get closer to the high rpm numbers of the JR kit?

I hope you guys get a chance to dyno it with both EL and UEL headers (doesn't have to be the ACE either, would rather it be something more people have.) Also interested to see how it holds up on the dyno and track after a few runs to see how the heat effects it.

We all should be glad that there is another option out and see what kind of price and warranty that Edelbrock offers. Keep us posted Mike!