Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Edelbrock E-force Owner's thread and FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93718)

CSG Mike 08-27-2015 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SomedayIsuppose (Post 2371211)
Mike,

Couple questions, gonna be in Socal near the holidays and would be interested in having CSG do the install based on your thorough posts about it.

1. I know you said there isn't a break in, but is it advisable to install the kit and a few days later drive back to Oregon?

2. Do you have a ballpark for labor on install? I assume under a day for pros like you guys.

Thanks!

1. There is litterally no break-in for the supercharger. EVERY supercharger that is assembled at Edelbrock is run in-house to verify that it works properly.

2. We do, PM us.

CSG Mike 08-27-2015 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FyeaFRS (Post 2371155)
Jesus the install instructions are nightware-ish. I put a deposit down for this kit and am seriously reconsidering it now. There's so many modifications you have to do just to install. They claim this to be a simple bolt-on kit, but it looks to be far from it. Really bummed about it :(

http://www.edelbrock.com/fa20/downlo...structions.pdf

This is pretty typical for any supercharger kit of this type. When you break it down to the most basic steps, virtually every step is a "tighten bolt", "loosen bolt", "push in", or "pull out".

The Innovate/Sprintex kit is similarly involved, as is the Cosworth, and, I speculate, the Harrop.

If you are uncomfortable performing the installation, I'd recommend you find a local shop that can install the kit for you.

zigzagz94 08-27-2015 11:11 PM

CSG, I'm assuming the R&D on this kit was designed around not having an oil cooler. Would an oil cooler be needed for a pure DD that's not going to see any track usage? Edelbrock is marketing this as an all inclusive kit but for a DD are there other things that are considered must have complimentary upgrades? Thanks.

Calum 08-28-2015 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zigzagz94 (Post 2372470)
CSG, I'm assuming the R&D on this kit was designed around not having an oil cooler. Would an oil cooler be needed for a pure DD that's not going to see any track usage? Edelbrock is marketing this as an all inclusive kit but for a DD are there other things that are considered must have complimentary upgrades? Thanks.

The only way to know will be to log your oil temps and see. I know my car running in light traffic, in Nova Scotia "summer" ~ 25 - 30 C, at stock power, will run oil temps of about 98 - 99 C. I'd have to guess that running a super charger would increase that, but a better tune might lower it for steady highway cruising.

Kodename47 08-28-2015 05:49 AM

For a DD an oil cooler is completely unnecessary. You want oil to be 100-110C. With my Sprintex and cruising on a Spanish motorway in summer for hours I never saw oil temps over 105C and they drop off as soon as you come off the throttle.

CSG Mike 08-28-2015 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zigzagz94 (Post 2372470)

For street driving? No, you don't need a cooler.

If you're going for spirited drives that have sustained high RPM, or are tracking the vehicles, you should have an oil cooler.

Edelbrock probably has something in the works, but there are several options that fit, if you decide you need an oil cooler.

The OEM FA20DIT cooler is a perfect match for street driving, and casual spirited drives; it is not suited for track driving.

HUNTERANGEL121 08-28-2015 06:25 AM

But Mike, what about the mishimoto sandwich plate that fits the 15 wrx, supposed to work with an air to oil cooler along with the water to oil cooler :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

OkieSnuffBox 08-28-2015 08:03 AM

At first I wasn't too intersted in this particular setup. Because of the lower peak numbers, but I'm thinking this + oil cooler + E85 could be pretty awesome because of the big midrange bump......

Seems as though with E85 it would be pretty easy to add even more midrange and peak power, without maxing out the fuel system. That's an intriguing idea. Essentially use E85 to bring it up to JRSC peak levels.

SirBrass 08-28-2015 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkSunrise (Post 2370137)
Wow the Edelbrock-provided dynosheet looks impressive. (Assuming this is apples-to-apples 91 octane CARB comparison...) More midrange torque than the C30-94 JR/KW rotrex superchargers (3500-6000 RPM), but matches them top-end (6000+ RPM).

http://www.edelbrock.com/news_releas...6-Graph-4C.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...85657793_o.jpg
@CSG Mike

What are your thoughts on Edelbrock vs. JRSC? Primarily focused on power delivery and track durability. We all know JRSC is track-proven, how about Edelbrock? Thanks!

If the unit proves decently reliable, I think I've found my FI solution. Cheaper than the innovate (which is over $5k with the IC) with way more topend... hell yeah!

OkieSnuffBox 08-28-2015 11:17 AM

@CSG Mike any idea how much more cranking power you need from the battery with this?

I was planning on going with one of the lightweight batteries, but was curious if they would still have the juice to crank this over.

BRZoomTX 08-28-2015 11:52 AM

The high low and mid-range torque isn't surprising. TVS blowers are extremely efficient and always make tons of low-end power.
@Alltezza depends on design. TVS blowers like these usually do not whine unless you're spinning them to make 15+ PSI. Traditional roots and twin screw blowers have a lot more whine.

An aftermarket open element intake will help increase whine, but you likely will not notice much.

CSG Mike 08-28-2015 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox (Post 2372847)
@CSG Mike any idea how much more cranking power you need from the battery with this?

I was planning on going with one of the lightweight batteries, but was curious if they would still have the juice to crank this over.

I think you'd be okay with any of the proven lightweight batteries. I'm 99% sure the KC Machine battery would be just fine. (We sell that too!)

CSG Mike 08-28-2015 12:55 PM

Ohai

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...36835077_o.jpg

OkieSnuffBox 08-28-2015 01:05 PM

I have an unhealthy amount of want for this.