Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Tomei EL and UEL Headers Teaser! (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65518)

zdr93523 05-13-2014 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProjectD (Post 1732418)
^ I concur. I believe they refer to it in the streets as "dat rumble doooee"

Some say POH-tay-toes..... some say Po-TAH-toes.

"dat rumble slooooooow"

HRTROB 05-13-2014 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zdr93523 (Post 1732236)
I don't understand why anyone, given the option, would choose a UEL.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

I don't understand why you don't understand that other people might have different tastes than you :iono:

MT or AT
Turbo or supercharger
Coffee or tea
Medium-rare or well done
Catholicism or Protestantism

Different strokes for different folks. Get over it.

zdr93523 05-13-2014 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayoh (Post 1732317)
Personally I think it sounds better/unique and it provides more low-end torque which helps with the infamous dip.

Yes, EL produces more power at higher rpm, but this is my DD, I don't track, and I very rarely take her over 4k rpms.

So, given your stated purpose, why waste almost $1000 on a header? Just curious. For the sound? You can pay me $1000 and I'll ride with you everywhere and make rumble noises.

To the others: Different tastes are different than making poor life choices. It's like having a well done ribeye (to whoever made that analogy), just buy the cheap steak if you're going to ruin it. If someone told you that you could buy an iPhone 4 for $199, or an iPhone 5S for $199, who would choose the 4? No one! Same concept here. Why would you pay the same price for an inferior design?

Sorry peeps, I deal in facts and value function over form 99% of the time.

Back to the point of this thread: The Tomei headers are beautiful, well priced, and will be available soon. Whichever style you choose.

ShutterSpeed 05-13-2014 02:25 AM

I've been talking with Bo over at Bullet Proof Auto since March on when these would be released. He also was able to tell me the header would be about $790 and the joint/over pipe around $290...but those are not set in stone numbers. He was also able to tell me that the pieces are made of stainless steel and originally they were slated for late March/Early April release but got pushed back. He said sometime near June is more likely now.

Looks like I can finally finish off the full Tomei header back exhaust I've been wanting.

CYLVER 05-13-2014 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRTROB (Post 1733141)
I don't understand why you don't understand that other people might have different tastes than you :iono:

MT or AT
Turbo or supercharger
Coffee or tea
Medium-rare or well done
Catholicism or Protestantism

Different strokes for different folks. Get over it.

Because this forum is full of arrogant people.

Turdinator 05-13-2014 02:55 AM

I saw mention of dynos vs the HKS header. Are they posted anywhere?

Fett4Real 05-13-2014 04:07 AM

No they had them printed out and said there wasn't a press release or anything yet

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

tahdizzle 05-13-2014 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zdr93523 (Post 1733179)
So, given your stated purpose, why waste almost $1000 on a header? Just curious. For the sound? You can pay me $1000 and I'll ride with you everywhere and make rumble noises.

To the others: Different tastes are different than making poor life choices. It's like having a well done ribeye (to whoever made that analogy), just buy the cheap steak if you're going to ruin it. If someone told you that you could buy an iPhone 4 for $199, or an iPhone 5S for $199, who would choose the 4? No one! Same concept here. Why would you pay the same price for an inferior design?

Sorry peeps, I deal in facts and value function over form 99% of the time.

Back to the point of this thread: The Tomei headers are beautiful, well priced, and will be available soon. Whichever style you choose.

While your opinion is valid and your own, "inferior design" is a bit presumptious.

Show me a header, any header, that removes the torque dip with out a tune like the ft86sf UEL catted header.

the design doesn't seem to be that "inferior" to me, and for a direct bolt on, produces more useable torque than any other header on the market currently.

zdr93523 05-13-2014 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tahdizzle (Post 1733655)
While your opinion is valid and your own, "inferior design" is a bit presumptious.

Show me a header, any header, that removes the torque dip with out a tune like the ft86sf UEL catted header.

the design doesn't seem to be that "inferior" to me, and for a direct bolt on, produces more useable torque than any other header on the market currently.


Show me a tuned UEL header that makes more power across a 3200RPM span from 4000-7200 than its tuned EL counterpart, on any make or model, vs a UEL that only makes more power than an EL across the 600RPM dip. Why would you want to make more power for 600RPM and sacrifice the 3200RPM above it? Chewbacca lives on Endor! :bonk:

With that said, I agree with you completely about the FT86 SpeedFactory header. It is quite remarkable (I really like the company and their products), especially without a tune. I will say that if your goal was a 100% warranty and emissions friendly build, the FT86 SpeedFactory catted header without a tune would be the way to go. I hope they build an EL catted header in the future, because that would be a killer setup. However, with a tune, this Tomei EL and the HKS EL cannot be beat.

I believe the UEL vs EL argument holds true across all platforms, not just the 86. It is pure physics and from a physics standpoint, UELs are an inferior design. ELs flow better, period. Headers are "racing" parts, so if you aren't using it for its intended purpose (make the most power, expecially up top), isn't it kind of a waste of money?

Now, the OFH is a GREAT value and GREAT product for the money. I can definitely see spending that kind of money on a UEL because there is a big price gap between that product and the others. It also makes some good power with the OFT. But if we're talking apples for apples money wise, I wouldn't pay apple money for a grape.

Spending $1000 on a header because it sounds a certain way is downright silly. You might as well install one of those electronic blowoff valve noise makers as well. For $1000, I would ride along and make UEL, EL, and blowoff valve sounds for you. That offer stands... I'm available for rent.

tahdizzle 05-13-2014 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zdr93523 (Post 1733779)
Show me a tuned UEL header that makes more power across a 3200RPM span from 4000-7200 than its tuned EL counterpart, on any make or model, vs a UEL that only makes more power than an EL across the 600RPM dip. Why would you want to make more power for 600RPM and sacrifice the 3200RPM above it? Chewbacca lives on Endor! :bonk:

With that said, I agree with you completely about the FT86 SpeedFactory header. It is quite remarkable (I really like the company and their products), especially without a tune. I will say that if your goal was a 100% warranty and emissions friendly build, the FT86 SpeedFactory catted header without a tune would be the way to go. I hope they build an EL catted header in the future, because that would be a killer setup. However, with a tune, this Tomei EL and the HKS EL cannot be beat.

I believe the UEL vs EL argument holds true across all platforms, not just the 86. It is pure physics and from a physics standpoint, UELs are an inferior design. ELs flow better, period. Headers are "racing" parts, so if you aren't using it for its intended purpose (make the most power, expecially up top), isn't it kind of a waste of money?

Now, the OFH is a GREAT value and GREAT product for the money. I can definitely see spending that kind of money on a UEL because there is a big price gap between that product and the others. It also makes some good power with the OFT. But if we're talking apples for apples money wise, I wouldn't pay apple money for a grape.

Spending $1000 on a header because it sounds a certain way is downright silly. You might as well install one of those electronic blowoff valve noise makers as well. For $1000, I would ride along and make UEL, EL, and blowoff valve sounds for you. That offer stands... I'm available for rent.


Valid perspective but in terms of not spending the extra money for tune and a direct bolt on, the ft86sf UEL header (which isn't aggresively UEL) is probably the best bang for your buck header.

zdr93523 05-13-2014 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tahdizzle (Post 1733797)
Valid perspective but in terms of not spending the extra money for tune and a direct bolt on, the ft86sf UEL header (which isn't aggresively UEL) is probably the best bang for your buck header.


I agree completely. Without a tune, it is probably the best. And the best thing about it, regardless of money, is that it will not affect your warranty since you aren't flashing the ECU.

CYLVER 05-13-2014 01:24 PM

Ohh man! I make poor life choices because I like the sound of a UEL. God save my soul!

tahdizzle 05-13-2014 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CYLVER (Post 1734013)
Ohh man! I make poor life choices because I like the sound of a UEL. God save my soul!


REPENT! And thou shall be saved!:evil:

zdr93523 05-13-2014 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CYLVER (Post 1734013)
Ohh man! I make poor life choices because I like the sound of a UEL. God save my soul!

Not because you like it, only if you spent a boat load of money on it just for the sound. If that's the case then you should repent. Hahaha.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.