Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Tomei EL and UEL Headers Teaser! (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65518)

zdr93523 05-11-2014 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fooddude (Post 1729625)
Ah, didn't know the porsche had EL.

I know nothing about porsche and what parts it uses. All I know it's a boxer and 6cy and sounds unique when I hear them on the streets, lol. How should I know?..since I'm not a rich person and don't research cars I will never own. I was just assuming haha. :bonk:

No worries, I'm not rich either. I just have certain priorities.

On the UEL/EL note... The "boxer rumble" is created by the extremely unequal runners of the exhaust manifold by nature of the boxer design. The exhaust pulses are fighting each other. The rumble you hear is exhaust pulses meeting in the header, and then a void where there is no exhaust pulse (repeated over and over). It should be called the "extremely poor header design due to the boxer engine layout rumble."

The EL smooths the sound because the exhaust pulses are in line and not "hitting" each other or fighting for space to flow through the exhaust.

On an inline 4, an unequal length header is nowhere near as unequal as a boxer because the exhaust ports are relatively close in distance to the collector. They are barely unequal in relative terms. So, you don't get a "boxer rumble."

The UEL will make more power in the dip because the UEL creates more back pressure, which is required for low end torque. However, a tuned car with a EL will always make more top end power because it is much more efficient. This is pure physics.

enjoyminutemaid 05-11-2014 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whataboutbob (Post 1728956)
I got the PPE EL header and over pipe ceramic coated inside and out shipped for $850...

Isn't PPE's mild steel though? Not that it matters in this application, but the material is certainly going to affect price.

aznatama 05-11-2014 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwx (Post 1728825)
Tomei names their exhaust stuff "Expreme" for some reason...

Two executives couldn't agree on whether to name it Extreme or Supreme... so they had a compromise... (maybe?)

leech 05-11-2014 07:58 PM

I know tomei makes uncatted header for pure performance gain, but I wish they also have the catted one as an option. great stuff though!!! =)

fooddude 05-12-2014 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zdr93523 (Post 1729697)
No worries, I'm not rich either. I just have certain priorities.

On the UEL/EL note... The "boxer rumble" is created by the extremely unequal runners of the exhaust manifold by nature of the boxer design. The exhaust pulses are fighting each other. The rumble you hear is exhaust pulses meeting in the header, and then a void where there is no exhaust pulse (repeated over and over). It should be called the "extremely poor header design due to the boxer engine layout rumble."

The EL smooths the sound because the exhaust pulses are in line and not "hitting" each other or fighting for space to flow through the exhaust.

On an inline 4, an unequal length header is nowhere near as unequal as a boxer because the exhaust ports are relatively close in distance to the collector. They are barely unequal in relative terms. So, you don't get a "boxer rumble."

The UEL will make more power in the dip because the UEL creates more back pressure, which is required for low end torque. However, a tuned car with a EL will always make more top end power because it is much more efficient. This is pure physics.

Thanks for the insight.

I guess I'll go EL; performance and engineering/design quality is a priority to me. I kinda actually do miss the sound/engine of my old dohc EG in the 90s. Though I think I missed it more due to the high redline and functional simplicity.

zdr93523 05-12-2014 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fooddude (Post 1730475)
Thanks for the insight.

I guess I'll go EL; performance and engineering/design quality is a priority to me. I kinda actually do miss the sound/engine of my old dohc EG in the 90s. Though I think I missed it more due to the high redline and functional simplicity.

Yea the B series motors are pretty mean. I hear the K series motors are much better but I got out of Hondas right when they were introduced.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Fett4Real 05-12-2014 02:08 AM

You HEAR the K series are better haha...no replacement for displacement....

kayoh 05-12-2014 05:16 PM

Subbed! Another UEL Header to add to my watch list.

zdr93523 05-12-2014 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fett4Real (Post 1730494)
You HEAR the K series are better haha...no replacement for displacement....

I have no hands on experience with them so I'm going by your word. I don't like to speculate.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

zdr93523 05-12-2014 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayoh (Post 1732080)
Subbed! Another UEL Header to add to my watch list.

I don't understand why anyone, given the option, would choose a UEL.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

07jazzrs5gt86 05-12-2014 06:18 PM

Any idea when this gonna be released

kayoh 05-12-2014 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zdr93523 (Post 1732236)
I don't understand why anyone, given the option, would choose a UEL.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Personally I think it sounds better/unique and it provides more low-end torque which helps with the infamous dip.

Yes, EL produces more power at higher rpm, but this is my DD, I don't track, and I very rarely take her over 4k rpms.

zdr93523 05-12-2014 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 07jazzrs5gt86 (Post 1732305)
Any idea when this gonna be released

June - July

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

ProjectD 05-12-2014 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zdr93523 (Post 1732236)
I don't understand why anyone, given the option, would choose a UEL.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayoh (Post 1732317)
Personally I think it sounds better/unique and it provides more low-end torque which helps with the infamous dip.

Yes, EL produces more power at higher rpm, but this is my DD, I don't track, and I very rarely take her over 4k rpms.


^ I concur. I believe they refer to it in the streets as "dat rumble doooee"

Some say POH-tay-toes..... some say Po-TAH-toes.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.