Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Track Brake Pad Discussion Thread (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23680)

WolfpackS2k 12-12-2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR (Post 604852)
I drove the XP10/XP8 combo on the street for about 5,000 miles. Did you have some other track pads on the same rotors previously? Just trying to figure out any differences.

For the XP10s I used the same rotors I used for the S2000's OEM pads.

For the RP2s I used new rotors.

Same squealing noise, no real difference.

CSG Mike 12-12-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k (Post 604876)
For the XP10s I used the same rotors I used for the S2000's OEM pads.

For the RP2s I used new rotors.

Same squealing noise, no real difference.

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/9544..._fromsearch__1

Aznsky 12-12-2012 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSG Mike (Post 604855)
That just means that the pads have been heated up to the proper temp. It doesn't mean that you have a proper transfer layer.

Personally, I've never bought the pre-bedded pads, and I don't recommend it to anyone either; you can bed them in fine at the track, and unlike some other pads, you certainly won't lose a session bedding them in.

Yeah I don't see how you can buy "pre-bedded" pads since bedding pads means heating the pads up enough to transfer a thin layer of material to the rotor and then letting the rotor cool down. That way future braking will have the brake pad materials working together. So essentially both a rotor thing and a brake pad thing.

WolfpackS2k 12-13-2012 08:03 AM

Good to know for the future. However I don't leave my track pads on for daily driving so the noise isn't a big deal for me.

ayau 01-02-2013 02:04 AM

When replacing OEM pads with track pads, should one resurface the OEM rotors before installing the track pads?

rice_classic 01-02-2013 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayau (Post 638942)
When replacing OEM pads with track pads, should one resurface the OEM rotors before installing the track pads?

The most accurate answer is: "it depends"

The long and short of it is... Just slap them on and go. You'll be fine.

CSG Mike 01-02-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayau (Post 638942)

Theoretically? Yes.

Unless there's some REALLY funky grooving, we just slap em on and go.

Hanakuso 01-02-2013 04:39 PM

Brake Pad Manufacturer (F/R): Hawk/OEM
Caliper (F/R):
Essex AP Racing Sprint Kit(AP Racing CP8350)/OEM
Compound (F/R): HPS/OEM
Tires: 215/45/17 OEM Michelin Primacy
Characteristics seem very close to the OEM pads. Very low dust, great cold initial bite and zero squealing. Have not notice any wheel or paint damage due to dust. These pads will only be used for street use so it will be incomplete for track usa.. The pads do have a little movement but i'm guessing that is more to do with the calipers being designed for track use only. These are basically perfect for the Essex AP Racing kits when you want to run on the streets that won't see any hard usage.

Will update later with extra info on pad lifespan and other info.

zkubidu 01-11-2013 01:43 AM

Brake Pad Manufacturer (F/R): Porterfield/OEM
Caliper (F/R): OEM/OEM
Rotor Size (F/R - IE OEM or specify): OEM/OEM
Compound (F/R): R4S/OEM
Tires: 245/40-17 RS3

Feels similar to stock brakes but does noticeably dust more. I never took the stock brakes to the track, but running a 1:33 pace at SOW CW in 50F weather this setup held up well(haven't been on a track on 4 wheels in almost 10 years). Never noticed any fade at all, and braking was very consistent and easily modulated. On the street, I get no noise whatsoever and braking is effective even when fully cold. Although SOW CW isn't a brake intensive track IMO, I feel these would be a good alternative to stock pads for those looking for an occasional track day.

Scores:
Dusting (1=high-10=low): 3
Cold bite (1=low-10=high): 5
Hot bite (1=low-10=high): 6
Modulation (1=low-10=high): 6
Noise (1=extremely loud-10=quiet): 10
Pad Lifespan (1=short-10=long): est 10 track days
Does the brake dust with this combination damage the wheels/paint if not cleaned immediately? (Y/N) Not that I know of.
Brake ducts: (Y/N) No.

Note: My ratings are based comparisons from vehicles with CCM setups that never shown fade, JFYI.

sw20kosh 01-17-2013 04:30 PM

Not many talking about the F/R: HP+/HPS combo.

Are Hawks not good?

I will be on RCE yellows and am wondering if I should stagger or just get one pad for all 4 corners.

Dave-ROR 01-17-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sw20kosh (Post 671806)
Not many talking about the F/R: HP+/HPS combo.

Are Hawks not good?

I will be on RCE yellows and am wondering if I should stagger or just get one pad for all 4 corners.

HPS aren't a track pad, HP+ is a lighter duty track pad. Most of us use heavier duty (higher MOT) pads.

sw20kosh 01-18-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR (Post 671824)
HPS aren't a track pad, HP+ is a lighter duty track pad. Most of us use heavier duty (higher MOT) pads.

So in your opinion is there any benefit to going with HP+ over the other heavier duty pads.

I want a pad that I can drive around on daily (noise and dust are an issue), that wont disintegrate at the track like the stockers.

CSG Mike 01-18-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sw20kosh (Post 673621)
So in your opinion is there any benefit to going with HP+ over the other heavier duty pads.

I want a pad that I can drive around on daily (noise and dust are an issue), that wont disintegrate at the track like the stockers.

Any good pad will dust pretty heavily. Noise is dependent on the pad. The higher the MOT, the more likely it is that you'll have noise.

Properly bedding *most* pads will reduce the noise to a minimum.

jdzumwalt 01-21-2013 10:15 AM

Brake Pad Manufacturer (F/R): Stop Tech
Caliper (F/R): FACTORY FRONT AND REAR
Compound (F/R): Street Performance Pad front and rear
Tires: Michelin 245/35/18 on weds

I installed these pads along with some Motul 600 for my first track day. I noticed that pads worked much better than stock right off the bat. After three track days and 7500 miles the pads are done on the front. The rear how ever still look very good with at least 75% life left For the price you can beat it.

I currently have a stillen big brake upgrade coming. I would like to point out that I notice a small crack appear on my rotor thats why I order the BBK. Other than that these brake felt great and never faded once. The Brake fluid has now changed colors(brown) too so I have a feeling it's been heated pretty high.

Scores:
Dusting (1=low-10=high): 7
Cold bite (1=low-10=high): 7
Hot bite (1=low-10=high): 7
Modulation (1=low-10=high): 7
Noise (1=quiet-10=extremely loud): 1
Pad Lifespan (1=short-10=long): (estimate/actual)front 4, rear 6
Does the brake dust with this combination damage the wheels/paint if not cleaned immediately? (Y/N) N