Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Member's Car Journals (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Spuds' Vroom Machine (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151713)

Spuds 01-02-2023 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG (Post 3562465)
I believe there is either more, or a different filler material in the plastic as well. I want to say it was 50%cf by weight. I can't remember, should be a marking on them. "PA6..."

Both plastic parts have the same part number though.

NoHaveMSG 01-02-2023 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spuds (Post 3562466)
Both plastic parts have the same part number though.

I could be mistaken. It's been a while since I had both those parts side by side.

Spuds 01-14-2023 10:41 AM

Spark Plugs

7 Attachment(s)
I replaced the spark plugs this past week. Wound up tilting the engine to one side then the other. Even then I wound up needing to swap out my ratchets to be able to use the right length extensions/adaptors. It did make access better though.

Old plugs looked fine to me. Installed new Subaru branded Denso plugs. Did not set gap or use antiseize. Visually the gap between the old plugs and new plugs was exactly the same. The old plugs seemed to have some sort of lubricant on them though so maybe I did that wrong. Oh well, they are in now lol.

Interesting discovery while tilting the engine is that there are flat squares on the block about 3 inches in front of the engine mounts. You can't see these with stock headers on, but spanning a 3.5" piece of 2x2 between the engine mount bolt and the square made for a pretty stable jacking point. The drivers side square is on a plane 1-2mm above the bolt head (my 2x2 just lifted at the bolt head). The passengers side square is on a plane 1-2mm below the bolt head.

Ultramaroon 01-14-2023 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spuds (Post 3564256)
Old plugs looked fine to me.

This has been my experience with every single properly running fuel injected engine I've touched. I only replace plugs if I'm replacing a set of igniters. I've never seen one with the iridium chips burned so even then, it has probably been unnecessary.

The brown stuff in the threads is just varnish and oil.

Spuds 01-14-2023 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 3564278)
This has been my experience with every single properly running fuel injected engine I've touched. I only replace plugs if I'm replacing a set of igniters. I've never seen one with the iridium chips burned so even then, it has probably been unnecessary.

The brown stuff in the threads is just varnish and oil.

Oh, now you tell me! ;)

Spuds 01-14-2023 04:41 PM

For my next trick, I will be removing the steering rack bushings and replacing them with Whiteline poly bushings. I also have the STi diff bushings that I was thinking of installing to complete the drive line set.

The debate I am having with myself is whether to rig something up to pull/press bushings or just get the right tools. I've got a big C-clamp and a ball joint puller thing (great for wheel studs) that I apparently just need to find the right size tubing for. I don't think that will really work for the diff bushings though?

Hmmm.....

Ultramaroon 01-14-2023 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spuds (Post 3564279)
Oh, now you tell me! ;)

Haha... Can't go wrong with fresh plugs but yeah, IMO, there are more important places to spend $$$.

Ultramaroon 01-14-2023 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spuds (Post 3564281)
The debate I am having with myself is whether to rig something up to pull/press bushings or just get the right tools. I've got a big C-clamp and a ball joint puller thing (great for wheel studs) that I apparently just need to find the right size tubing for. I don't think that will really work for the diff bushings though?

Hmmm.....

I had a guy until a friend surprised me with a hydraulic press. Presses, like cherry pickers, take up quite a bit of valuable space for such infrequent use.

Spuds 01-15-2023 06:30 PM

Note to self: Remember this page if you actually did mess up the subframe bolt threads...

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49596

NoHaveMSG 01-15-2023 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spuds (Post 3564281)
For my next trick, I will be removing the steering rack bushings and replacing them with Whiteline poly bushings. I also have the STi diff bushings that I was thinking of installing to complete the drive line set.

Hmmm.....

I'd recommend a press. Those things are in there pretty tight.

Spuds 01-15-2023 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG (Post 3564398)
I'd recommend a press. Those things are in there pretty tight.

I just decided to order the Cusco tool for pulling the steering rack bushings. I just don't have the right stuff lying around to get at it and for some reason I can't get enough clearance for a c-clamp. Yeah it's $40+ for a tool I will use once but I'd easily spend that in time and materials to make it.

I'm just not going to do the sti bushings at this time. Too much other stuff going on and I'm running out of time.

Moved on to the rear for the moment. Halfway through the subframe inserts.

NoHaveMSG 01-16-2023 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spuds (Post 3564413)
I just decided to order the Cusco tool for pulling the steering rack bushings. I just don't have the right stuff lying around to get at it and for some reason I can't get enough clearance for a c-clamp. Yeah it's $40+ for a tool I will use once but I'd easily spend that in time and materials to make it.

I'm just not going to do the sti bushings at this time. Too much other stuff going on and I'm running out of time.

Moved on to the rear for the moment. Halfway through the subframe inserts.

I guess I should have specified, I ment for the diff bushings :bonk: I've done those twice and they are really in there. The steering rack bushings should be no big deal. Could probably get them out with a deep socket, a long bolt with nut and washers.

Spuds 01-16-2023 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG (Post 3564467)
I guess I should have specified, I ment for the diff bushings :bonk: I've done those twice and they are really in there. The steering rack bushings should be no big deal. Could probably get them out with a deep socket, a long bolt with nut and washers.

Yeah, that is essentially what the steering rack bushing tool is, just an actual sleeve vs a socket. Unfortunately I don't have the right socket or a long enough bolt.

Spuds 01-16-2023 11:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
... ok wtf happened here?

One bolt came out wet an moldy. Other than being gross and needing to be cleaned both the bolt and sleeve look fine. :iono:

Edit:. On further inspection, the bolt is actually pitted a bit. Probably should get a new one. The bushings will probably be fine... Maybe...