Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Engine idle chirping (cricket) noise poll. (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9836)

track_warrior 06-28-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonburner (Post 283858)
Hahaha, that's some awesome news!
Did you use their suggested oils?

I used mobil one 0w-20 oem spec with a k&n oil filter and for some odd reason i have not heard the chirping noise again. If i hear it again i will let you guys know asap.

encity5 06-28-2012 09:25 AM

I think I'm getting confused between the "chirping" and the "cricket" and "ticking" noises or vocabulary used to describe them.

Sounds like there are 2 different sounds going on one possibly "normal" while the high pitched "chirping" isn't. And the videos posted some complain about one or the other. I'm almost confused how to tell them apart and if it does requiring opening the hood to really listen to hear which is happening.

Hanzo 06-28-2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcasso87 (Post 284141)
I used mobil one 0w-20 oem spec with a k&n oil filter and for some odd reason i have not heard the chirping noise again. If i hear it again i will let you guys know asap.

Have you had a decent distance drive? More than 10 miles?

Hanzo 06-28-2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by encity5 (Post 284152)
I think I'm getting confused between the "chirping" and the "cricket" and "ticking" noises or vocabulary used to describe them.

Sounds like there are 2 different sounds going on one possibly "normal" while the high pitched "chirping" isn't. And the videos posted some complain about one or the other. I'm almost confused how to tell them apart and if it does requiring opening the hood to really listen to hear which is happening.

It's a continuous chirping noise that starts after the car warms up. My wife described it as old VW bug.

encity5 06-28-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanzo (Post 284160)
It's a continuous chirping noise that starts after the car warms up. My wife described it as old VW bug.

Is it a noise that is easily audible from the cabin or is it only more audible when you are outside at the hood.

I ask because ive only really heard "regular" (so i think) engine noise, until one time i filled up at the pump and then started the car to hear a fairly audible noise from the driver seat, (same "ticking" sound described in the videos,not sure about the high pitched chirp) at low RPMS

After that ive just been weary and attentive about the noise. and following these idle noise threads. It has never gone that audible to me since, but there are times that i would hear it a bit, but only if im outside near the hood. or have my head stuck out trying to listen. (and only hearing the "ticking")

I guess it should be worth taking a video / sound recording with the hood open and just compare to all the other videos posted. lol

track_warrior 06-28-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanzo (Post 284155)
Have you had a decent distance drive? More than 10 miles?

ive only used it once since ive changed the oil and traveled about 15 miles to my office and no chirping noise what so ever. I will report if it comes back.

Jayde 06-28-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcasso87 (Post 284286)
ive only used it once since ive changed the oil and traveled about 15 miles to my office and no chirping noise what so ever. I will report if it comes back.

Very interested in hearing the results from this.

track_warrior 06-28-2012 10:30 AM

I wonder if euro spec or japanese spec cars are getting this noise as well.

Hanzo 06-28-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by encity5 (Post 284247)
Is it a noise that is easily audible from the cabin or is it only more audible when you are outside at the hood.

I ask because ive only really heard "regular" (so i think) engine noise, until one time i filled up at the pump and then started the car to hear a fairly audible noise from the driver seat, (same "ticking" sound described in the videos,not sure about the high pitched chirp) at low RPMS

After that ive just been weary and attentive about the noise. and following these idle noise threads. It has never gone that audible to me since, but there are times that i would hear it a bit, but only if im outside near the hood. or have my head stuck out trying to listen. (and only hearing the "ticking")

I guess it should be worth taking a video / sound recording with the hood open and just compare to all the other videos posted. lol

The ticking sound is normal direct injection noise. The chirp/cricket/whisle/vw bug sound is different. I can hear mine sitting at the stop light with my windows up.

rcm47 06-28-2012 10:32 AM

I checked my car last night if it had this. No chirping at all. I have 1025 miles on my car.

Hanzo 06-28-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcm47 (Post 284304)
I checked my car last night if it had this. No chirping at all. I have 1025 miles on my car.

Did you drive around for at least 5-10 miles?

FreedE 06-28-2012 10:34 AM

I hear it on mine.

I also noticed that while idling, my belt tensioner flaps around excessively....

rcm47 06-28-2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanzo (Post 284306)
Did you drive around for at least 5-10 miles?

Yeah. Like 20 actually. I will check again later to be sure.

Bonburner 06-28-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by encity5 (Post 284152)

the ticking is the DI.
The high pitched cricket noise / chirps is the problem noise.