Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   FR-S Dyno testing at DD Performance Research inc. 2ZZ comparison (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7319)

jedibow 07-05-2012 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeebus (Post 297656)
unless of course, you set the advance multiplier to 1 through a tune. :D

Multiplier tables are 2d, that is why I asked Jon what the other variable was that effected the multiplier table, depending on what is being looked up could adversely effect the tune if you just went and set it to 1 for the entire table. If I had to guess it would be timing vs. coolant temp, as both a safe mode (romping before the engine reaches operating temp, and also to increase cat heating). Jon is this correct? Since you are the man with the tables infront of you.... Still cheating HaHa

jedibow 07-05-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxer-Guy (Post 297985)
It would be awesome if a tune by it self would offer just 20-25whp.
We just have to wait and see.

Oh and thanks for message Boosted2.0

Factory tunes are consevative, but not that conservative. In order to see those numbers there will have to be a mechanical change in the breathing aspect of the engine (Intake, Header, Exhaust, cams, porting, valves...)

This in in reference to the TUNE only, not the maximum total change in horsepower by adding the above...

G

Boosted2.0 07-11-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Visconti (Post 296023)
Although that might be the case for Toyota ECUs this is not the case for Subaru - the ecu in these cars.

After ecu reset the car does not run maximum advance. Car needs to e given a drive cycle and go thru some things in order for the advance multiplier to jump up allowing maximum advance.

By default the advance multiplier is at .7. Car won't see full advance until the advance multiplier jumps up to 1.0

John

Interesting. Next time we have a free hour I will re-dyno. I will make a few pulls, reset the ECU and make a few more and see what happens. If it drops I will re-dyno the next day andsee if it has come back up.

Visconti 07-14-2012 09:51 AM

Anything ?

Illusive 07-15-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Visconti (Post 314894)
Anything ?

Soon?

Our dyno has been booked up with customers cars as of late.

Our normal day's are 9:00 am to 10:00 PM 7 days a week. I'm the lucky one who gets two day's off from shop work. Boosted2.0 is too hardcore for rest :D So a free hour can actually be hard to come by around here.

SnapOv3st3r 07-15-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillRacer1jz (Post 295456)
I think they did a 400 meter run which is shorter than a 1/4mile by 18 feet. Shorter distance = faster time.

More like 8 feet (1312 vs 1320). DK is short and probably weighs around 130+/- lbs also.

Boosted2.0 07-16-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illusive (Post 316386)
Soon?

Our dyno has been booked up with customers cars as of late.

Our normal day's are 9:00 am to 10:00 PM 7 days a week. I'm the lucky one who gets two day's off from shop work. Boosted2.0 is too hardcore for rest :D So a free hour can actually be hard to come by around here.

^^^^
This.

Busy is a good thing though, so I'm not complaining ;)

Boosted2.0 08-27-2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Visconti (Post 296023)
Although that might be the case for Toyota ECUs this is not the case for Subaru - the ecu in these cars.

After ecu reset the car does not run maximum advance. Car needs to e given a drive cycle and go thru some things in order for the advance multiplier to jump up allowing maximum advance.

By default the advance multiplier is at .7. Car won't see full advance until the advance multiplier jumps up to 1.0

John

It has now been confirmed - the FR-S is defionitely running Toyota ignition strategy where you start at maximum advance and it is managed by 2 ignition trims.

Here is the relevant data:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illusive (Post 401213)
I figure I'll just post up the plots and then discuss them afterwards.

Here is the extended testing (250 miles to 8500 miles with 2 oil changes) with an ECU reset for curiosity's sake tossed in.

http://www.ddperformanceresearch.com...DPR%20FR-S.jpg

Here's just the ECU reset before/after:

http://www.ddperformanceresearch.com...PR%20FR-S2.jpg

All runs in 5th gear, on the same dyno (ours) and the same car obviously.

Runfile 10 represents the best pull on a fresh motor with 250 miles on the odo.
Runfile 17 represents the best pull on a broken in motor with 2500 miles on the odo and a fresh oil change
Runfile 21 & 22 were done today back to back at 8500 miles with no changes but fresh oil from runfile 17. It represents additional power from break-in at the 8500 mile mark
Runfile 23 represents a fresh ECU reset pull with ideal conditions (cold coolant, warm oil)
Runfile 24,25,26 represent a hot motor and were done with zero cooldown between pulls.

The second plot is just to give a good example of what a fresh ECU reset can do to the power plot.

We previously argued that the ECU is more like a toyota ECU in that it runs max timing on reset and slowly pulls back timing as knock is detected. Other's had made the claim that it is more like a subaru ECU in that it runs a dynamic advance multiplier below max and slowly adds timing back in.

With this dyno testing we can confidently say that the ECU runs max timing on the ECU rest.

Furthermore we can give advice for those seeking to have parts installed on their vehicle, and or tuning.

Based on our extended testing, we recommend not having the vehicle tuned until at least 2500 miles on the odo (and hard driving after the first 500 break-in miles.)

We also recommend, prior to dyno testing/tuning, to reset the ecu get a baseline pull or 3, install parts, reset the ecu again and do the final after dyno.

Doing it in this way will eliminate any power gains from an ecu reset and show just what the parts will make.

Not doing it in this way enables others to potentially inflate their power claims.

Visconti 08-27-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boosted2.0 (Post 405921)
It has now been confirmed - the FR-S is defionitely running Toyota ignition strategy where you start at maximum advance and it is managed by 2 ignition trims.

Here is the relevant data:

Thanks for the update but this isn't correct.

After ecu reset the car does not run max advance..

The ignition logic is 100% what subarus have been using for over 10 years.

John

2forme 08-27-2012 05:51 PM

why does a 190hp elise dyno the same as a 180 hp celica?

xwd 08-27-2012 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Visconti (Post 405927)
Thanks for the update but this isn't correct.

After ecu reset the car does not run max advance..

The ignition logic is 100% what subarus have been using for over 10 years.

John

Why do you suppose they saw gains after the reset? I kind of figured it was still using the Subaru ignition mappings.

Genomaxter 08-27-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2forme (Post 405961)
why does a 190hp elise dyno the same as a 180 hp celica?

Because they dont make 190 hp. That was a marketing gimmick. Its still only 180 crank. Its been dyno confirmed many times.

2forme 08-27-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genomaxter (Post 406093)
Because they dont make 190 hp. That was a marketing gimmick. Its still only 180 crank. Its been dyno confirmed many times.

Bastards!

clayrush 08-27-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genomaxter (Post 406093)

I thought it was because the exhaust was different and the ecu had a slight tune difference. But I never looked at a dyno from it :)