Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78610)

2016 Camaro SS 03-21-2015 06:03 PM

Highly interested in this kit.

Jmonty 03-21-2015 10:50 PM

This could be interesting

sdwagonjp 03-22-2015 08:22 PM

The warranty on the E-Force kits are amazing. Not sure if this would be any different though.

s2d4 03-23-2015 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calum (Post 2179175)
Would you mind posting a link to the Harrop thread?

They don't have a thread, not sure if they ever do for their product development. You'll probably hear more when they are getting their kits into production.

This is the article I am talking about.
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257E060014249A

P86RAVES 03-25-2015 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calum (Post 2178702)
The piece on top is bolted to the runners. Its functional, or mostly from what we can see so far. I'm guessing/hoping it holds an intercooler core. Why they decided on that shape still escapes me, but if it works and looks pretty I'm fine with that.

You'd be correct:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT8texoWIvU"]Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger - YouTube[/ame]

Basket Case 03-25-2015 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P86RAVES (Post 2184225)

If the unit for twins is as complete as the one described in the video for mustangs, this would be so simple to install...that however probably means $$$ and not as much power as others.

P86RAVES 03-25-2015 03:17 PM

In the video they claim their supercharger can make the same power as others (for the Mustang anyway) with less boost.

Without the tuner, it's around $7k for LS2's model.

You're right that this thing won't be anywhere approaching inexpensive.

shiro 03-25-2015 05:45 PM

After seeing the posted pics on E-Force's Supercharger system and looking at Cosworth system as well (intake and throttle body on rear side) I'm curious if I could slap one of these SC's on my built Full Blown engine with my current Full Blown turbo kit...

The other question would be if this would be efficient and would mostly help with low gain up to 4K rpm before the turbo starts pushing the remaining PSI. I'm also curious if these SC designs would hold the turbo back, e.g. intake manifold too small or constricted?

The Cosworth doesn't use an intercooler but uses a air/water cooler so piping would be easier. Modifying the intake route could make this work. The E-Force intake is right in front which would make modifying a lot easier. However, I don't know what the whole kit entails for cooling and where the additional components will need to be placed.

I honestly think this could look pretty cool BUT may just be a retarded idea LMAO. Any input from the supercharger side of the house? I'm more knowledgeable on turbos and their setup. Thanks!

EAGLE5 03-25-2015 06:13 PM

Twin-charging is usually more for show than go. If you want more low-end grunt, get a smaller turbo. If you want more-linear, predictable power, get a super-charger.

cdrazic93 03-25-2015 06:18 PM

Twin charging is for show, yes.

If you want more torque and power, you get a twin turbo setup in a seqential series.

A small turbo that spools very quickly like a TD04 billet, or a BW 6258. Then have that feed into the larger turbo like a GT30R or if youre ballsy a GT35R Or larger.

Then comes the awesome fun of tuning that pile of wheels and sheet metal.

Calum 03-25-2015 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiro (Post 2185067)
The Cosworth doesn't use an intercooler but uses a air/water cooler

That's an air to water intercooler. The result is exactly the same.

shiro 03-25-2015 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsimon7777 (Post 2185105)
Twin-charging is usually more for show than go. If you want more low-end grunt, get a smaller turbo. If you want more-linear, predictable power, get a super-charger.

True on the smaller turbo. The Garrett GTX2867R is a perfect balance IMO. Though, that would be pretty sick looking for a Twin-charged system. The supercharger might bring more stability to the turbo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdrazic93 (Post 2185118)
Twin charging is for show, yes.

If you want more torque and power, you get a twin turbo setup in a seqential series.

A small turbo that spools very quickly like a TD04 billet, or a BW 6258. Then have that feed into the larger turbo like a GT30R or if youre ballsy a GT35R Or larger.

Then comes the awesome fun of tuning that pile of wheels and sheet metal.

Yeah, the GT30R would be pretty cool to have but as for a twin-turbo on the FA20...you are right, that would be a pain in the a$$ to tune/maintain. Maybe I'll consider the "show" option until I get bored and decided to build the heads on my engine...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calum (Post 2185207)
That's an air to water intercooler. The result is exactly the same.

After I typed that I just realized that lmao. It's just liquid cooled through the radiator(s).

EAGLE5 03-26-2015 01:34 AM

Enmo racing had an awesome twin-charged D16 Civic. It won a bit of time attack. Not sure what they're up to now. Probably got real jobs.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAt3Y4PAW6M"]Enmo Racing Twincharged Civic - YouTube[/ame]

shiro 03-26-2015 10:00 AM

I'd like to call Edelbrock today and see what they might do for me to do an install of their product on my current setup when it comes out. I now have the itch to put this twin-charge setup in motion. Though, I will talk with LJ at Full Blown first since a year or two down the road I want my heads built. I have an spare motor on a stand in the back of the garage I'd like to use the heads off of.

So much for doing modifications to the IS 350 :P

EDIT: So I talked with Edelbrock today and the supercharger tech wasn't in until later but it sounds like I might not be able to get more information on this supercharger yet. Also, from what one of the other technicians said, all Edelbrock systems must use their own tune and that other shops are unable to tune it. I'd be curious to learn more about the FA20 supercharger from them. Maybe it will be different than their past superchargers. Only time will tell to see how true this information is.

Cosworth might be the way to go for a supercharger at the moment. They have two large internal intercooler tanks that utilizes air/water cooling. It's still the Sprintex supercharger but the cooling setup might be more efficient. Though, I'd have to look into this :)

s2d4 03-26-2015 12:16 PM

No, cosworth does not use sprintex chargers.

yonson 03-26-2015 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiro (Post 2185926)
I'd like to call Edelbrock today and see what they might do for me to do an install of their product on my current setup when it comes out. I now have the itch to put this twin-charge setup in motion. Though, I will talk with LJ at Full Blown first since a year or two down the road I want my heads built. I have an spare motor on a stand in the back of the garage I'd like to use the heads off of.

So much for doing modifications to the IS 350 :P

EDIT: So I talked with Edelbrock today and the supercharger tech wasn't in until later but it sounds like I might not be able to get more information on this supercharger yet. Also, from what one of the other technicians said, all Edelbrock systems must use their own tune and that other shops are unable to tune it. I'd be curious to learn more about the FA20 supercharger from them. Maybe it will be different than their past superchargers. Only time will tell to see how true this information is.

Cosworth might be the way to go for a supercharger at the moment. They have two large internal intercooler tanks that utilizes air/water cooling. It's still the Sprintex supercharger but the cooling setup might be more efficient. Though, I'd have to look into this :)

Other than for EO'd applications, this definitely won't be the case. Edelbrock has always offered tuner kits for situations like this...

shiro 03-26-2015 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yonson (Post 2186272)
Other than for EO'd applications, this definitely won't be the case. Edelbrock has always offered tuner kits for situations like this...

That's exactly what I thought. It comes down to a piece of equipment. If someone is knowledgeable on it then they can use it in their own application.

keen as 03-26-2015 09:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Twincharged with Sprintex supercharger
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ht=twincharged

https://www.facebook.com/streetfx86/...type=1&theatre

s2d4 03-26-2015 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keen as (Post 2186893)
Twincharged with Sprintex supercharger
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ht=twincharged

Yeah, SEMA ended quite awhile ago.

hmong337 04-06-2015 12:13 PM

Any guesses to what this will retail for?

raven1231 04-06-2015 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmong337 (Post 2200996)
Any guesses to what this will retail for?

Around 6k. Most of their kits are around 5.5-6

2016 Camaro SS 04-10-2015 11:13 AM

Needs more updates.

tahdizzle 04-15-2015 02:05 PM

More updates. They expected a June release. :P

ohmai18 04-17-2015 03:42 AM

If they are based in Cali, is there a good chance that this is carb legal? They had other chargers that were.

sdwagonjp 04-18-2015 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohmai18 (Post 2216048)
If they are based in Cali, is there a good chance that this is carb legal? They had other chargers that were.

I would think so. Check the other kits that are part of the eforce line. The warranty is nuts if its the same as the others. Luckily I have low mileage because they start all warranty miles at zero.

itsibarra 04-27-2015 02:53 PM

Called in and the tech I spoke to said their tuners are working on it and should be running this week. Now the wait for numbers. :popcorn:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68...percharger.jpg

twag4 04-28-2015 01:24 AM

Why does Edelbrock insist on making this thing look like a big v8 engine cover from a Challenger/Mustang/Camaro? That is an unnecessarily ugly monstrosity of an engine cover type manifold thing. I just don't get it. I was excited to see this kit when it was first announced, but not so much now. Disappointed!

ohmai18 04-28-2015 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twag4 (Post 2229500)
Why does Edelbrock insist on making this thing look like a big v8 engine cover from a Challenger/Mustang/Camaro? That is an unnecessarily ugly monstrosity of an engine cover type manifold thing. I just don't get it. I was excited to see this kit when it was first announced, but not so much now. Disappointed!

Because their heritage is based on American muscle. I did not expect them to change their identity just for this car. The kit looks modern and clean anyhow.

twag4 04-28-2015 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohmai18 (Post 2229629)
Because their heritage is based on American muscle. I did not expect them to change their identity just for this car. The kit looks modern and clean anyhow.

I wonder why they are entering the tuner market then. Kit looks awful, not clean. Definite bro bait. I used many Edelbrock products in the 80s when I was younger. Their heritage was horsepower and performance, not big ugly plastic engine covers that do not enhance performance. I just don't understand why they would make this lump of stuff more about appearance. Why add material when there is no functional improvement by doing so? There is elegance and beauty in simplicity. The look of fine machinery and engineering always trumps big plastic covers with red plastic inlays. YMMV

Jaden 04-28-2015 11:24 AM

Who says there's no functional improvement???

Quote:

Originally Posted by twag4 (Post 2229674)
I wonder why they are entering the tuner market then. Kit looks awful, not clean. Definite bro bait. I used many Edelbrock products in the 80s when I was younger. Their heritage was horsepower and performance, not big ugly plastic engine covers that do not enhance performance. I just don't understand why they would make this lump of stuff more about appearance. Why add material when there is no functional improvement by doing so? There is elegance and beauty in simplicity. The look of fine machinery and engineering always trumps big plastic covers with red plastic inlays. YMMV

That big monstrosity as you put it is the intercooler. More intercooler, means cooler, denser air charge. Also, longer runners typically = better low end torque which is what the FA20 desperately needs.

I wouldn't be surprised if this kit has the best EO'd numbers so far.

I like the way it looks personally, it looks clean and symmetrical.

Besides, I don't mind american muscle looks myself, but I'm not much of a ricer either so that shouldn't be much of a surprise.

Jaden

Kodename47 04-28-2015 11:36 AM

Quote:

not big ugly plastic engine covers that do not enhance performance.

Like the Cosworth, the supercharger goes under the manifold into the bottom. That lump of plastic is the intake manifold... The Cosworth setup is the same, just dressed differently.

yonson 04-28-2015 12:10 PM

Quote:

Sometimes you have to go with function over form, I imagine it's like that for more intercooler surface area. Ohh and it's Aluminium not plastic...

twag4 04-28-2015 01:08 PM

Looks like a lot more surface area on top than on bottom, unneeded overhang in the front for sure. This would negate the idea that its entirety is for inter cooler. I completely understand that it shares concept with the cosworth unit, but everything I see on the cosworth unit makes sense for housing the inter cooler. Again- functional with a little brand advert. Im not too impressed that the enforce unit is aluminum not plastic. The unneccesary overhang weighs that much more for being aluminum not plastic. If you want an American v8, buy it. I don't at all understand the need to mimick the crap automakers use to hide plastic intake manifolds and valve covers on modern engines. The plastic is for weight savings and heat dissipation, not to mention lower cost. Then, to offset all that function they put a big cover over the engine to make it look like something it isn't. Ours is visible and looks ok. They put a small cover on it that isn't really necessary, but it's fairly minimal. I'm a big fan of edelbrock from way back, this just looks silly and unnecessary to me. I would rather see them cater to function, rather than the Chevy Ford and Chrysler crowd that they traditionally cater to. Give them the big heavy lumps of bling. They weigh 4000 lbs anyway. We hav a small, lightweight car that really doesn't need a lot of extra flash under the hood. The American muscle crowd will never be the customer of this product. Most of them are too busy juicing their camaros and challengers. I would love to see weight specs compared to cosworth, and charge temps too. I'll bet this will be found wanting. I'm sorry for all the feelings I hurt here, but this thing is ugly to me. It seems to cater too much to appearance. It may very well perform great- I hope it does. Another choice for us is a good thing.another thing, in this picture there doesn't appear to be a pulley that runs the compressor unit. There are a great number of extra idlers, but where is the drive neck? It may be there under the front porch awning I see in the picture, but I don't even see the front of the supercharger. I want to see a supercharger if I have a supercharger. I'll vote with my wallet when I finallly supercharge my car. If this things exceeds its appearance, I could be swayed. But, it's looks are not good. And the inter cooler part IS a monstrosity. Thanks for the education from the three captain obvious', I'm not convinced this is dedigned more for function than v8 appearance.

Andrew025 04-28-2015 01:17 PM

Man, you are way too hung up on the appearance and what you "think" they are trying to cater to.

tahdizzle 04-28-2015 01:24 PM

Eh, if he doesn't like it he doesn't like it.

Does it perform? Thats all that really matters and he mentioned that :p

Andrew025 04-28-2015 01:28 PM

I don't really like it either, but I'm not writing a book about it.

weederr33 04-28-2015 02:40 PM

Well I think it looks pretty rad. So boom!

Thorpedo 04-28-2015 02:54 PM

I love how the conversation is regarding the aesthetic value of the supercharger. W-T-F is wrong with people? Who gives a ^$%# about a lb of extra plastic or aluminium?

Go back to the "How to Plasti-Dip your emblems" thread.

raven1231 04-28-2015 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorpedo (Post 2230262)
I love how the conversation is regarding the aesthetic value of the supercharger. W-T-F is wrong with people? Who gives a ^$%# about a lb of extra plastic or aluminium?

Go back to the "How to Plasti-Dip your emblems" thread.

That pound will ruin the "feel" of the car...What these cars were meant for

P86RAVES 04-28-2015 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raven1231 (Post 2230279)
That pound will ruin the "feel" of the car...What these cars were meant for

Is this sarcasm?