Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Accelerated Performance 2013 BRZ - FRS Turbo Kit Designing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9942)

eikond 06-27-2012 12:45 PM

This is my new favorite thread..

I must stop by to visit one of these days.. too bad I usually pass through Toledo in the evenings..

I'm very excited to see how this turbo kit turns out. I'm glad to see you doing one of the first.. I'm confident that you'll make sure to keep it safe and reliable. Which is something I'm not so sure of from some other shops out there.

Looking forward to seeing your exhaust manifold design.

Any thoughts on converting from MAF to MAP or does that require ECU tuning to acheive?

That IC core looks more than adequate. I find it comical that people use such huge tanks for low hp turbo kits.

Should be intersting to see what turbo you chose and when the boost kicks in. Ideally I'd like to see boost kick in right at the point that the torque dip starts.. that would make for a very linear powerband. But, I'm concerned that it might take a big turbo get the spool to kick in late.. isn't the torque dip around 3200 rpms? But you'd have to limit that turbo with a low boost wastegate. The big turbo would not be as responsive as a small turbo..

I'm really intersted in seeing how you design this thing.

I'm very to see you working on it Don! Keep up the great work!

Don@Accelerated 06-27-2012 12:48 PM

That would be our piston Set Custom made for us by Wiseco

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmbkk (Post 281971)
Don, which aftermarket pistons fit our car?

kmbkk 06-27-2012 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don@Accelerated (Post 282166)
That would be our piston Set Custom made for us by Wiseco

Will those be available for us to purchase?

Dimman 06-27-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slow_frs (Post 281766)
considering that subby likes top mounts and toyota likes side mount i can see how they claim they couldnt find a spot for it, and considering the way radiator only gets air from the lower grill im gonna go and assume they didnt wanna try a front mount because of the restriction of airfolow to the radiator...intercooler-ac condenser-radiator, yes it may still get its air but not the same fresh air it would normally get, no i dont see any issues with this setup just trying to see in from the manufaturers view

I think it has to do with crash standards. Something about the cost of damage in a 5mph front collision or something...

RRnold 06-27-2012 01:17 PM

'scribed!

Can't wait to see the final pics and performance gain. :happy0180:

Don@Accelerated 06-27-2012 02:34 PM

They will be, but are currently not for sale. I won't consider selling them until i've beat them to death first! I want to make sure the changes we've made from the stock piston design will be enough for longevity and durability.

Most likely it will be, but i'll error on the side of caution momentarily.

-Don

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmbkk (Post 282213)
Will those be available for us to purchase?

Fenrir 06-27-2012 02:41 PM

Definitely interested to see where this goes. I'd love a nice small turbo setup for a modest increase in power, as the car (much like miata's) doesn't need much help really :)

Don@Accelerated 06-27-2012 02:57 PM

I'm looking to have full tq by 3-4krpm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fenrir (Post 282394)
Definitely interested to see where this goes. I'd love a nice small turbo setup for a modest increase in power, as the car (much like miata's) doesn't need much help really :)

kmbkk 06-27-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don@Accelerated (Post 282378)
They will be, but are currently not for sale. I won't consider selling them until i've beat them to death first! I want to make sure the changes we've made from the stock piston design will be enough for longevity and durability.

Most likely it will be, but i'll error on the side of caution momentarily.

-Don

Any ETA on when they may be available and an estimated price?

sdlynx 06-27-2012 05:26 PM

Definitely interested! Subscribed.

:thumbup:

Don@Accelerated 06-27-2012 05:45 PM

Not sure yet. I'm guessing 3-4wks before we test.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmbkk (Post 282682)
Any ETA on when they may be available and an estimated price?

OldSkool86 06-27-2012 05:46 PM

With the factory compression, tuning would be key even with boost. I think the D4S with 8 injectors is what is allowing the motor to run such a high compression. When in doubt, add more fuel lolz.

Calum 06-27-2012 06:30 PM

Why do you type above what you quote? It screws up the order of the conversion for the reader.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don@Accelerated (Post 282767)
Not sure yet. I'm guessing 3-4wks before we test.

Don@Accelerated 06-27-2012 06:32 PM

I like it that way!