Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   What coilover company should I go with? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33782)

FT86RocketBunny 04-15-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTM_Challenge (Post 866789)
If you're free on Saturday, come out to Autobahn. We should be running the car with NASA this weekend in TTD. Bring a helmet and I'll give you a ride in our car on KW Clubsports. We've also got a set of Ohlins DFV here at the shop you're welcome to come by and check out.

I'll be putting some of the first production AST 4150s on our car as well. They are slated to come in in the next few weeks. Can't wait for those.

Good looking out, bro. I'll see what what's going on. Thanks! :)

FT86RocketBunny 04-15-2013 03:13 PM

STANCE SUPER SPORTS any good? LOL

CSG David 04-15-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FT86RocketBunny (Post 867184)
STANCE SUPER SPORTS any good? LOL

I thought you were looking into going all out on suspension...

FT86RocketBunny 04-15-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSG David (Post 867291)
I thought you were looking into going all out on suspension...

Oh I am! Just asking questions. Not changing my mind about the route I'm taking. All out on suspension, no doubts. :happyanim:

Racecomp Engineering 04-15-2013 04:52 PM

It's important to be realistic with your goals. "All out" and daily driver mean different things to different people. A motorsport level 4 way race damper with hydraulic bumpstops can be "all out" but might be overkill for a daily driver. You could end up with something that requires more maintenance then you like, or rides too firm, or is really confusing to set up properly. And you could spend 10 grand more than you need to.

Something that has great build quality, durable, great valving that shines on the street and track (good valving does both well), and good support in the USA might be the right fit for you. It doesn't necessarily mean the most expensive damper or the shiniest. It won't be super cheap either though. IMO all out means something that checks all the boxes for your needs and fits your usage. There is no "best" for everyone. :)

- Andy

FT86RocketBunny 04-16-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering (Post 867424)
It's important to be realistic with your goals. "All out" and daily driver mean different things to different people. A motorsport level 4 way race damper with hydraulic bumpstops can be "all out" but might be overkill for a daily driver. You could end up with something that requires more maintenance then you like, or rides too firm, or is really confusing to set up properly. And you could spend 10 grand more than you need to.

Something that's has great build quality, durable, great valving that shines on the street and track (good valving does both well), and good support in the USA might be the right fit for you. It doesn't necessarily mean the most expensive damper or the shiniest. It won't be super cheap either though. IMO all out means something that checks all the boxes for your needs and fits your usage. There is no "best" for everyone. :)

- Andy

Very true, I appreciate this response a lot, bro. Thank you. After reading this, it actually made me think hard about the setup I'd like to go with.

Jon H 04-16-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FT86RocketBunny (Post 867184)
STANCE SUPER SPORTS any good? LOL

No offense, but I think your money would be better spent on some tires, pads, seat time and coaching. Figure out how the car drives and what you want it to do. I skimmed the thread and didn't see you state this.

Like tuning an ECU, you need to "tune" your suspension as it's a moving target. Different tracks, tires, alignment will require different adjustments. It's not a set it and forget it type of deal like some people think (not saying this is you, btw :) ) An improperly set up suspension will probably be slower than stock.

Just some friendly advice as I've been down that road. Fist full of cash but no knowledge. It may end up saving you A LOT of money in the end!

Huehuecoyotl 04-16-2013 11:04 AM

as realistic as the guy wanting coilovers for street and being suggested ohlins,LOL
or as realistic as everyone wanting 400whp trackable turbos for $5k?
One thing I always can count on with RCE's post is the sobering reality I can really appreciate vs the whiz bang BS that seems all more prevalent around here these days.
Not every grocery getter needs race coilovers! Not everyone who buys race coilovers needs a set of massive spring rate coils to show they are hardcore. I wish we had a bigger DOSE of reality around here, seems we have all gotten lost in the graphs and charts, specs and rantable numbers, and the essence of engineering ART which has everything to do with BALANCE seems like a ship thats left the harbor. There is such a thing as too much, to loud, to sudden, too firm, too harsh, too tall an order and too much tech. Suddenly we have too many chiefs..

timerbob 04-16-2013 06:04 PM

^well said.

subaruferrucci 04-16-2013 07:02 PM

I have a set of Fortune auto 510s on my car and i am very happy with them. I mainly autocross the car and the events i have done they feel amazing. I am going to be doing a track day on them shortly.

I chose the fortune autos over the than KW V3 because of the cost ride height is adjusted separate from spring preload can have custom spring rates.

the ride over small bumps and undulations is better than stock. the only time i realize i have coilovers is when i go over bigger/ sharp bumps.

had a friend go down to the shop in VA and they dynoed his Ohlins and the 510s and they were the same. Most of the guts in them are Ohlins so no real surprise.

Racecomp Engineering 04-16-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subaruferrucci (Post 870444)
I have a set of Fortune auto 510s on my car and i am very happy with them. I mainly autocross the car and the events i have done they feel amazing. I am going to be doing a track day on them shortly.

I chose the fortune autos over the than KW V3 because of the cost ride height is adjusted separate from spring preload can have custom spring rates.

the ride over small bumps and undulations is better than stock. the only time i realize i have coilovers is when i go over bigger/ sharp bumps.

had a friend go down to the shop in VA and they dynoed his Ohlins and the 510s and they were the same. Most of the guts in them are Ohlins so no real surprise.

Well that's not true at all.

- Andrew

Huehuecoyotl 04-16-2013 07:13 PM

just wow

subaruferrucci 04-16-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering (Post 870463)
Well that's not true at all.

- Andrew


well if it is true or not to me it doesnt really matter. When you throw them on the dyno and the numbers are the same it still says a lot about the product. I know dyno and real world are 2 different things but i think someone who doesnt have the budget for the KW and still want some good performance with out the cost they fill the 1.5k price range well.

That and i am tempted to hand my car over to a simmons who runs the KW just to see what he thinks of the 510s. And i know they were talking about loosing to much travel because he had to compress the spring to much

Dave-ROR 04-16-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subaruferrucci (Post 870565)
well if it is true or not to me it doesnt really matter. When you throw them on the dyno and the numbers are the same it still says a lot about the product. I know dyno and real world are 2 different things but i think someone who doesnt have the budget for the KW and still want some good performance with out the cost they fill the 1.5k price range well.

That and i am tempted to hand my car over to a simmons who runs the KW just to see what he thinks of the 510s. And i know they were talking about loosing to much travel because he had to compress the spring to much

LOL it absolutely matters. One is the truth, one is a complete fabrication. They have NOTHING to do with Ohlins. How many cycles were they run on the dyno? Graphs? A little data/proof at least?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.