Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   MotoIQ: Tech Look at FR-S Underside - Suspension, Chassis, Brakes, Differential (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3002)

tranzformer 12-22-2011 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering (Post 102866)

I look forward to plotting the roll center and looking at in relation to the COG. Might be fine but it looks like slamming the car isn't going to be a good idea if you care about handling and don't do anything about the roll center. And who knows how much travel it has.

Just let the hellaflush guys do their thing.

Crashoverride 12-22-2011 07:16 PM

So an aftermarket\factory TRD kit, the STI(4pot)\TRD(6pot) brake upgrade and possiblly an aftermarket supercharger?...damn

JDLM 12-22-2011 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crashoverride (Post 102875)
So an aftermarket\factory TRD kit, the STI(4pot)\TRD(6pot) brake upgrade and possiblly an aftermarket supercharger?...damn

If I can get a deal I will offer the STI brembo package :happy0180: ...working on it

tranzformer 12-22-2011 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDLM (Post 102963)
If I can get a deal I will offer the STI brembo package :happy0180: ...working on it

Cool. 14in front and 13.1in rear? Any reason not to go with Stoptech instead? I only ask that since they retail for $1000 cheaper than the Brembo and I have heard that they are just as good and Brembo is $$$$ because of name.

JDLM 12-22-2011 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tranzformer (Post 102967)
Cool. 14in front and 13.1in rear? Any reason not to go with Stoptech instead?

I could look at aftermarket as well (makes no difference to me) :thumbup: I just have a more OEM contact vs aftermarket (but it can go both ways I guess just have to ask)

tranzformer 12-22-2011 10:55 PM

Well if you have an OEM contact then stick with that for sure. I will probably use the stock brakes until they need to be replaced and then see what the aftermarket is offering at that time. But I'm sure there will be many wanting to switch from stock right away.

JDLM 12-22-2011 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tranzformer (Post 102969)
Well if you have an OEM contact then stick with that for sure. I will probably use the stock brakes until they need to be replaced and then see what the aftermarket is offering at that time. But I'm sure there will be many wanting to switch from stock right away.

Yeah I am "following a plan" that another site does

They offer OEM replacement parts (ie: M parts for non-M BMWs) they bundle them and sell them off as a package and it is a tad cheaper this way.

I will also be doing Group Buys from the UK (I have a contact there I have had for 10 plus years) and he knows about cars and the GT86 so huge for me.

GB's are easy, the more people we have the lower the price plus shipping/duties/

Very familiar to me and I don't mind doing it :thumbup:

I have a facebook started and working on a website and domain

Dave-ROR 12-23-2011 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tranzformer (Post 102967)
Cool. 14in front and 13.1in rear? Any reason not to go with Stoptech instead? I only ask that since they retail for $1000 cheaper than the Brembo and I have heard that they are just as good and Brembo is $$$$ because of name.

Those aren't 04 STI Rotor sizes.... 12.4" front IIRC.. forgot the back.

You guys really think you'll need that large (14") of a heatsink? For street driving? Or are we talking looks here?

Stoptech does make some great products though.

Longhorn248 12-23-2011 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR (Post 103014)

You guys really think you'll need that large (14") of a heatsink? For street driving? Or are we talking looks here?

What size wheels would you need to accommodate 14" rotors and calipers? I'm assuming the standard 17" wheels would work for the 04' STI 12.4" rotors?

old greg 12-23-2011 01:57 AM

The OEM BBS's fit and some aftermarket 17's as well, but not all. 18's will definitely clear.

Homemade WRX 12-23-2011 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silverpike (Post 102793)
There are companies such as 6gun Racing which used to sell machined 5x100 knuckles adapted to fit 5x114 hubs, but they were >$1k. I think 6gun is even out of business now, so you can't get them anymore.

...These hubs have problems with premature bearing death, especially when autocrossed...

Those two statements are true. However LIC and a few other places still do/have done the hub machining. I know LIC charges like $1k for it thought.

I suspect we'll see something coming from Turn In Concepts and/or MSI on this issue, not that I'm going to press for it or anything ;)

I'm wondering how cross compatible the STI components are. I imagine a GR rear will pop right in but the front, I suspect the geometry has changed a good bit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering (Post 102866)
Yeah the wheel choice thing is the smaller problem IMO with 5x100 hubs, the main problem is the bearings. But I'm cautiously optimistic it won't be a problem for most people.

Yup

As for brakes on this car, I imagine anyone who's tracking the car will do just fine with the STi Brembos, pads, lines and fluid. You can even get Ti backing plates if you still have issues HOWEVER they do hold up pretty well with the portly weight of an STi until you start getting some rubber and decent power...then they start to change colors ;)

I'd much rather drop weight to keep brakes effective than to put on bigger brakes and add more sprung mass, rotating mass, and static drag to the driveline.

Now yes, any serious track car will propably want to switch to an aftermarket setup due to rotor and pad life OR because they have increased power (and rubber) that much.

tranzformer 12-23-2011 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR (Post 103014)

I won't go that route cause I can't justify spending $5k just on brakes. If I had extra disposable income I would do it for the looks. However I would probably just spend $500 and get rotors, pads, SS brakes lines and new brake fluid and be done with it.

Longhorn248 12-23-2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tranzformer (Post 103100)
I won't go that route cause I can't justify spending $5k just on brakes. If I had extra disposable income I would do it for the looks. However I would probably just spend $500 and get rotors, pads, SS brakes lines and new brake fluid and be done with it.

I wouldn't spend anywhere close to $5k, if someone can source the STI brakes for $1-1.5k then I'd be interested. $2k would be the absolute maximum.