Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   HKS Exhaust Choices - Which one do I go with? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104590)

PandaSPUR 04-20-2016 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poodles (Post 2627730)
When it first was released there was supposedly a push to have it released to the USDM market without the flash editor at a discounted price, I'm guessing that fell through?

I like the sound so much I've been tempted to have the thing imported and just never use the flash editor...

I haven't done much comparison among UEL headers, but does the HKS one really sound that different from other quality UEL headers out there?

I figured the appeal of the package for the JDM was the fact that it comes with a flash editor so you dont need a custom tune.

Torry@HKSUSA 04-20-2016 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PandaSPUR (Post 2627713)
Awesome, that makes my shopping around easier.

Another question, is the rear bumper modification easy enough that the usual shop I go to can handle that at the same time as the exhaust installation, or should I go to a body shop first for that? (Cant do any of it myself, no driveway or garage space)

EDIT: And, in the video linked on the first post, is that the Legamax Sports without any other exhaust mods?

The bumper modification is straight forward and doesn't require a body shop. Any shop that is installing the exhaust can easily do the bumper as well.

And yes, that is a Legamax Sports with no other mods.

Torry@HKSUSA 04-20-2016 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poodles (Post 2627730)
When it first was released there was supposedly a push to have it released to the USDM market without the flash editor at a discounted price, I'm guessing that fell through?

I like the sound so much I've been tempted to have the thing imported and just never use the flash editor...

That's interesting. I'll have to check on that. That happened before I joined HKS. But there seems to be some interest in this manifold because I've been asked about it a few times this past week.

I will see if we can get Japan to split the kit up and sell a non-FE version for the U.S. I'm not sure how critical having the FE tune on it is, but I'll ask.

Ashikabi 04-21-2016 08:59 AM

I just got the dual resonated front pipe with the Legamax premium cat back. I have UEL and overpipe. The sound is great and it's actually pretty quiet. A tiny bit quieter than I would have liked but I haven't had any drone yet. Haven't tried it at 80mph but I didn't notice any when I past the 4000rpm mark so I'm not expecting to encounter any under normal conditions. Quality was good and finish was much wow, so many shiny.

[YOYO] 04-21-2016 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashikabi (Post 2629186)
I just got the dual resonated front pipe with the Legamax premium cat back. I have UEL and overpipe. The sound is great and it's actually pretty quiet. A tiny bit quieter than I would have liked but I haven't had any drone yet. Haven't tried it at 80mph but I didn't notice any when I past the 4000rpm mark so I'm not expecting to encounter any under normal conditions. Quality was good and finish was much wow, so many shiny.

I have a Legamax Premium as well. I will be putting on a Tomei UEL very soon so I'm actually happy to hear that the end result isn't stupid loud. I don't want constant headaches :bellyroll:

Poodles 04-23-2016 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PandaSPUR (Post 2627736)
I haven't done much comparison among UEL headers, but does the HKS one really sound that different from other quality UEL headers out there?

I figured the appeal of the package for the JDM was the fact that it comes with a flash editor so you dont need a custom tune.

It appears to have the largest difference in runner length, leading to a very pronounced sound that I haven't heard on any other header. HKS tuned the header for the sound from what I've read. Apparently it doesn't make the power some other headers do (HKS compares it to their own EL header saying the EL makes more power), but the sound...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhZWtmuxuto"]SUBARU BRZ BOXER SOUND EXHAUST SYSTEM LIGHT DEEP Package - YouTube[/ame]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torry@HKSUSA (Post 2627914)
That's interesting. I'll have to check on that. That happened before I joined HKS. But there seems to be some interest in this manifold because I've been asked about it a few times this past week.

I will see if we can get Japan to split the kit up and sell a non-FE version for the U.S. I'm not sure how critical having the FE tune on it is, but I'll ask.

If it happens, and it's price is competitive with others on the market, you'll likely sell quite a few.

Us old school guys love HKS :party0030:

Yobiwan 04-25-2016 11:37 PM

https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url...acks/250440906

I like my HKS legamax sports. it sound great when WOT, but it's so silent when city driving - almost same as stock .

Torry@HKSUSA 04-26-2016 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poodles (Post 2631412)
It appears to have the largest difference in runner length, leading to a very pronounced sound that I haven't heard on any other header. HKS tuned the header for the sound from what I've read. Apparently it doesn't make the power some other headers do (HKS compares it to their own EL header saying the EL makes more power), but the sound...

If it happens, and it's price is competitive with others on the market, you'll likely sell quite a few.

Us old school guys love HKS :party0030:

Hey, so as it turns out, this UEL header *is* available by itself, however, we don't have it listed on our website. I will fix that today. I'll get it added up there as well as edit the first post in this thread with that addition.

PandaSPUR 04-26-2016 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torry@HKSUSA (Post 2633826)
Hey, so as it turns out, this UEL header *is* available by itself, however, we don't have it listed on our website. I will fix that today. I'll get it added up there as well as edit the first post in this thread with that addition.

Question about that header then. Is it catted or not? I tried looking it up and apparently theres a small high flow cat jammed in at the end there but i cant tell.

Torry@HKSUSA 04-26-2016 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PandaSPUR (Post 2633830)
Question about that header then. Is it catted or not? I tried looking it up and apparently theres a small high flow cat jammed in at the end there but i cant tell.

Yes, the UEL header includes a cat. The EL header does not.

Torry@HKSUSA 04-26-2016 10:25 AM

Ok guys! Updated the thread with the Boxer Spec UEL header and also added it to the www.hksusa.com website!

Ashikabi 04-26-2016 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torry@HKSUSA (Post 2633869)
Ok guys! Updated the thread with the Boxer Spec UEL header and also added it to the www.hksusa.com website!

Can we get a catless version of the UEL? Not interested in adding a cat back in but I wouldn't mind adding another HKS part to my exhaust

Cole 04-26-2016 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torry@HKSUSA (Post 2633869)

Wow. That's Ace money right there...

Was really hoping it would be more on par with Tomei, and was going to order one ASAP. Not now though. Too bad.

Torry@HKSUSA 04-26-2016 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashikabi (Post 2633878)
Can we get a catless version of the UEL? Not interested in adding a cat back in but I wouldn't mind adding another HKS part to my exhaust

Sorry, but that's the only way it's offered. The sound was tuned by HKS while using the cat, so by making a cat-less version, they'd not only have to build it, but they'd have to retune the sound as well. Not something HKS is likely to do unless there is a ton of demand for it, which we haven't seen.