Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   FR-S Dyno testing at DD Performance Research inc. 2ZZ comparison (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7319)

Boxer-Guy 07-04-2012 12:38 PM

wow runfile15 is nice (170hp)

Boosted2.0 07-04-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Visconti (Post 295778)
Just saw this!

Thanks for posting this up.

I think the gain is most likely from the advance multiplier increasing allowing the car to run more timing.

I suspect it is a combination of things.

First, I only run shell and chevron 93 octane, so it is likely that the motor is not having to pull any timing for knock response. Toyota's ECUs actually start at Maximum timing, and then they use a long term and short term knock trim to pull timing back out to the currently desired level. You can reset this value by resetting the ecu (disconeccting the battery). Those values both exist in the FRS ECU when viewed with a Toyota Techstream scantool, so I suspect it is the same as the rest in that respect. Now there MAY have been some fuel related timing reduction for the first pull, but it did have 93 in the tank from an Exxon station across from the dealer.

And a good deal of it is from break in. We actually felt a huge difference after we took it to the drag strip at @300 miles or so. We made over 16 runs, and about the first 12 were literally back to back. The next day there was a definite increase in power. I have also seen a corresponding increase in fuel economy even when driving hard.

It should be noted the ambient temps were warmer on the more recent pulls as well.

Boosted2.0 07-04-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxer-Guy (Post 295862)
wow runfile15 is nice (170hp)

we had one run that was even higher, but this one was the closest to the middle of the pulls we did this time around.

Chewie4299 07-04-2012 02:02 PM

So, this means ~15% drivetrain loss assuming the engine is truly putting out 200hp at the crank?

Not too shabby. Eh?

Visconti 07-04-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boosted2.0 (Post 295867)
I suspect it is a combination of things.

First, I only run shell and chevron 93 octane, so it is likely that the motor is not having to pull any timing for knock response. Toyota's ECUs actually start at Maximum timing, and then they use a long term and short term knock trim to pull timing back out to the currently desired level. You can reset this value by resetting the ecu (disconeccting the battery). Those values both exist in the FRS ECU when viewed with a Toyota Techstream scantool, so I suspect it is the same as the rest in that respect. Now there MAY have been some fuel related timing reduction for the first pull, but it did have 93 in the tank from an Exxon station across from the dealer.

And a good deal of it is from break in. We actually felt a huge difference after we took it to the drag strip at @300 miles or so. We made over 16 runs, and about the first 12 were literally back to back. The next day there was a definite increase in power. I have also seen a corresponding increase in fuel economy even when driving hard.

It should be noted the ambient temps were warmer on the more recent pulls as well.

Although that might be the case for Toyota ECUs this is not the case for Subaru - the ecu in these cars.

After ecu reset the car does not run maximum advance. Car needs to e given a drive cycle and go thru some things in order for the advance multiplier to jump up allowing maximum advance.

By default the advance multiplier is at .7. Car won't see full advance until the advance multiplier jumps up to 1.0

John

Dimman 07-04-2012 03:16 PM

I thought they both use Denso?

SUB-FT86 07-04-2012 03:41 PM

Not bad numbers at all.

Boxer-Guy 07-05-2012 12:37 AM

I wonder if a full exhaust on this car would raise the HP from
170 to maybe about 5-10 more horses or just stay the same ?

jedibow 07-05-2012 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Visconti (Post 296023)
Although that might be the case for Toyota ECUs this is not the case for Subaru - the ecu in these cars.

After ecu reset the car does not run maximum advance. Car needs to e given a drive cycle and go thru some things in order for the advance multiplier to jump up allowing maximum advance.

By default the advance multiplier is at .7. Car won't see full advance until the advance multiplier jumps up to 1.0

John

Is the table temp based? Or load based? Interesting...

ImAwesome 07-05-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxer-Guy (Post 296790)
I wonder if a full exhaust on this car would raise the HP from
170 to maybe about 5-10 more horses or just stay the same ?

haven't been reading much, Nameless has seen >20whp from their full exhaust and Vtune has another 18wp gain from tuning, I'm sure if you tuned in the full exhaust and an intake you could see >40whp gains

Koji_Online 07-05-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImAwesome (Post 297383)
haven't been reading much, Nameless has seen >20whp from their full exhaust and Vtune has another 18wp gain from tuning, I'm sure if you tuned in the full exhaust and an intake you could see >40whp gains

That would be incredible; same lvl of gain seen from the K20 in my RSX-S.
I would be seriously impressed with the boxer & DI if it could manage that =D
Here's to hoping for the best results!

Visconti 07-05-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koji_Online (Post 297563)
That would be incredible; same lvl of gain seen from the K20 in my RSX-S.
I would be seriously impressed with the boxer & DI if it could manage that =D
Here's to hoping for the best results!

Would be VERY awesome

jeebus 07-05-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Visconti (Post 296023)

John

unless of course, you set the advance multiplier to 1 through a tune. :D

Boxer-Guy 07-05-2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImAwesome (Post 297383)

It would be awesome if a tune by it self would offer just 20-25whp.
We just have to wait and see.

Oh and thanks for message Boosted2.0