Quote:
Originally Posted by KCMachine
(Post 1872299)
I've driven both, and they're quite different.
NSX has very sharp turn in, which is exemplified by no power steering. The steering feel is very direct and you can feel everything that goes under the front tires. That being said, due to no power assist, the car can be a workout to drive. The chassis dynamics are also very different, as one would imagine between a FR car and a MR car. The NSX doesn't dive much under braking. Not to mention the torque difference, since it's the Honda with torque. Only owning lower HP torqueless Hondas, the torque difference was immense for me.
I've found the BRZ to be more akin to how my Prelude feels. Peppy car where you wring out the engine when you're driving it. I actually quite like cars like that.
@ mokinbird87 has driven my car, he can chime in as well.
|
two different cars in two different leagues if I`m honest. the NSX with no power steering gives you so much direct feedback of the road it is really really good... makes the twins steering feel numb and artificial when you jump back in the car. I think both do well in what they are designed to do (go fast), but it`s how they go about doing it. The NSX, with a special interior ergonomics has the dash almost at your knee level with a long windshield, creating a very unique view of the road. the cantilevered window switches and the intake sound right behind your left ear... all these small details make this car very very special. Torque is also a big difference when you drive the two cars back to back.
Somethings that I feel are better in a BRZ vs the NSX: chassis rigidity, steering ratio and throttle sensitivity. Even with the help from Senna, NSX really shows age here as the modern day chassis of the BRZ does feel much stiffer; I can feel the NSX twisting a bit. It's not as bad as something like the original hachi, but definitely softer than the BRZ.
In addition, the steering ratio on the NSX is a bit slow. I`m not saying it's a bad thing, but I just prefer the ratio on the BRZ. when you get the NSX up to speed though, I like the fact that the ratio is not too fast as it doesnt feel as nervous as some of the mid-engined cars... Like a Cayman for example. I could sneeze while driving on the highway and it would probably change lanes :) some people like that, some people dont. NSX seems to favor the latter.
Lastly, the throttle sensitivity. Notice I say sensitivity, not response. I think a bigger displacement engine, especially with a physical throttle cable will always have better throttle response. However, throttle sensitivity that I am talking about here is how well your engine reads the minute movement of your right foot. In the BRZ, I can modulate the throttle within small rpm increments and the tach reads those few rpm changes very quickly. Maybe it`s because the NSX isnt mine and I dont drive it everyday so I`m not that familiar with the go pedal, but I liked the sensitivity on the BRZ better. maybe it`s the high compression that allows a more sensitive feel... the RPMs felt much smoother/quicker to modulate. It feels like the BRZ almost has a lighter flywheel than the NSX.
Back to pros on the NSX :). NSX rides more comfortable than the BRZ and is also easier to get in and out of... this blows my mind as it is much lower ( in fact, there will never be a car this low any more because of all the safety regulations on new production cars). I think it has to do with the fact that we have high door sills that we have to step over, whereas the NSX does not. I`ll take the hit on the convenience to get in/out of the car for a more rigid chassis, but it is definitely something that you notice.
To me, the NSX is so special because it has features that only in the 90s were possible. there will always be faster cars, but there will not be too many cars that cantilever the window switches to have perfect alignment with your fingers. it`s the attention to such small details that puts the NSX in the super car category. It was Japan's ambition to surpass the Italians and you can see/feel how hard they tried EVERY time you get in the car as a driver or a passenger. This sort of attention to detail is also represented on the twins as well; the relocation of the starter motor, emphasis on low center of gravity, an interior that accommodates a roll cage without too much modification, rolled fenders, etc. The difference is that the NSX team was out to create the best car possible, and the twins team had a price target.
Andy