Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Should I first mod for power or handling? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143816)

g e 01-09-2021 02:17 PM

Sell the car and put proceeds along with $5k into index fund in Roth account.

Cars are a money pit and everyone at school will beg you to take them places.

But if daddy is in the 30% or higher tax bracket ignore this free advice.

Jesse36m3 01-09-2021 02:22 PM

I will be straight up with you - $5k will not go far with a turbo build. I spent more than that on just supporting mods (clutch, aos, full exhaust, oil cooler, hood vents, gauges, etc.) There's a lot more to it than just buying the kit, and i guess you could argue you don't need any of that stuff, but it is strongly recommended. I'd also suggest you do the supporting mods first if you are fully commited - and you might want to add suspension work, wheels/tires, brake pads/fluid, etc.)

If the money is really burning a hole in your pocket, the first thing i would do is a set of lightweight wheels, tires, lowering springs, and a good alignment. Save the rest for maintenance.

Cephas 01-09-2021 03:39 PM

Man. Where were all you reasonable people 15 years ago when I was spending my last dime on motorcycle parts and dyno time?

LimitedSlip 01-09-2021 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cephas (Post 3398702)
Man. Where were all you reasonable people 15 years ago when I was spending my last time on motorcycle parts and dyno time?

What is being said today is the result of the "voice of experience" which we didn't have with this platform 15 years ago. :cheers:

humfrz 01-09-2021 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnio (Post 3398602)
I have a completely stock FR-S and have only recently been given permission as I’m taking it to college to mod and upgrade it and so I’ve saved up roughly $5000 for the purpose.

As some have said, I suggest that you leave your car alone and focus on your studies.

soundman98 01-09-2021 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cephas (Post 3398702)
Man. Where were all you reasonable people 15 years ago when I was spending my last time on motorcycle parts and dyno time?

you would've ignored us. the difference between telling and asking.

just like when my parents told me not to put $2k into my last cars tail lights. or $1500 into the stereo.

i did anyways.

soundman98 01-09-2021 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g e (Post 3398687)
Sell the car and put proceeds along with $5k into index fund in Roth account.

Cars are a money pit and everyone at school will beg you to take them places.

But if daddy is in the 30% or higher tax bracket ignore this free advice.

i wouldn't take a car to college i care about. i'd get a beater. the more ugly and rotted out, the better. it's going to be street parked 95% of the time, and no one wants to ride in a dirty rotted out car. but if the mechanicals are solid, and it starts every time...

Ultramaroon 01-09-2021 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnio (Post 3398602)
I’m just really looking for advice on what you guys think the best course of action is.

1. Express appreciation to parents for being given the green light to mess with it.
2. Before all else, prioritize service life and reliability.
3. Make that nest egg your maintenance fund.
4. Record all your capital expenditures, for instance, tools.
5. Play around with the numbers long term. Remember things like tires and potential warranty denials.

Enjoy life. Enjoy your car. Take your time. As for me, I'm always down for playing with what-if ideas. For instance, modding at all. What does it not reasonably already do for me?

Sapphireho 01-09-2021 07:54 PM

My advice for a kid starting college is use the money to take out and bang as many horny collage babes as you can. They won't care how your car handles or how much power it has. Time for that later in life when your banging college chicks time is over.

TommyW 01-09-2021 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sapphireho (Post 3398760)
My advice for a kid starting college is use the money to take out and bang as many horny collage babes as you can. They won't care how your car handles or how much power it has. Time for that later in life when your banging college chicks time is over.

thats pretty much what I did...

x808drifter 01-10-2021 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyW (Post 3398777)
thats pretty much what I did...

Also, most would find the car fine as is.
It already looks fast and sporty.

Cephas 01-10-2021 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3398715)
you would've ignored us. the difference between telling and asking.

just like when my parents told me not to put $2k into my last cars tail lights. or $1500 into the stereo.

i did anyways.

You're not wrong. Early-20s me was not known for heeding good advice.

Mike_ZN6 01-10-2021 09:11 AM

It is going to cost you way more than 5k to FI your car. It is a really bad idea to FI your DD that you rely on for transportation.

Just get some coilovers/wheels and be done with it.

wbradley 01-10-2021 09:37 AM

Back in August of 1985 I spent almost everything I had accumulated in my lifetime on a new '85 VW GTI. My parents were paying my tuition for university and I lived at home.
I was going into 2nd year Bsc. program at U of T with hopes to eventually be accepted in medical or one of several other health related professions. My older brother was studying optometry at the time.
Spending my reserves was a huge mistake! I had no money and no income plus studies ate up almost all my time so I wasn't able to find some part time income on short notice.
When I returned to school in the fall of '85 I wasn't there mentally anymore and ended up leaving after the new year.
One of if not the biggest regret in my earlier life. My priorities were way off, and I should have chosen school over a car. Financial pressure played a roll in my leaving under a lot of stress. The sad part is I had some really good grades in some courses, but I was definitely not going to be one of those who is fast tracked right into medical school.
My daughter is just finishing her bachelor's at a school in another city, and I believe her education, wherever she chooses to go with it will get her farther in life than she will likely reach otherwise. She has always been strong in academics and so enabling her to do this was the right thing.

You are already in school with a newly purchased car. There's nothing wrong with it now. Keep a reserve, you will never regret it.

Don't think about things that can potentially put you under financial pressure or encourage you to drive inappropriately at a time in life where you will benefit far more focused on education and training.

If you are able to get yourself to think this way (I wasn't able to), you will end up avoiding stress and disappointment later. Having self restraint is an important element in life necessary for success.

Again, I don't think you mention what you were studying, if it is a financial burden to you and whether you are able to have any income during this time.

Either way if you intend to complete school, make sure you don't put yourself in a position where short term wants might threaten your long term goals.

Shit, I sweat over a $50 plexiglass aftermarket lip for the sunroof in '86.