Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Member's Car Journals (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   FR-S Turbo Build (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127998)

DarkPira7e 11-24-2019 07:48 PM

Hey guys, I forgot that I had a build thread!

The car makes 317whp at 16psi. Settles at 298 at 15psi. Still running great, no issues . Did have to heat up the flanges a lot when bolting them to the block to get them to seal perfectly.
The angle of the downpipe was messed up on my kit so we actually had to make a custom downpipe from the turbo to the cxracing frontpipe. No biggie, but definitely a demerit to the kit. If I had to do it again, I'd buy the MAP manifold, get the same $190 turbo and have someone build the exhaust. The intercooler is perfect!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B43TtC8H...=1v4oyucvd3g59

Here's a link to the little Instagram video I posted.

Joveen 11-24-2019 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkPira7e (Post 3278099)
Hey guys, I forgot that I had a build thread!

The car makes 317whp at 16psi. Settles at 298 at 15psi. Still running great, no issues . Did have to heat up the flanges a lot when bolting them to the block to get them to seal perfectly.
The angle of the downpipe was messed up on my kit so we actually had to make a custom downpipe from the turbo to the cxracing frontpipe. No biggie, but definitely a demerit to the kit. If I had to do it again, I'd buy the MAP manifold, get the same $190 turbo and have someone build the exhaust. The intercooler is perfect!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B43TtC8H...=1v4oyucvd3g59

Here's a link to the little Instagram video I posted.

How did you route the lines and stuff? I'm thinking about doing same? Also what about the external wastegate ect...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

DarkPira7e 11-24-2019 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joveen (Post 3278100)
How did you route the lines and stuff? I'm thinking about doing same? Also what about the external wastegate ect...

Shit, you had to ask on a Sunday! I'll try to remember to put something together. Bug me on Instagram (I followed you to remind myself) and I'll try to get stuff together. It's not pretty but it functions and should be pretty reliable. It's too bad I didn't get Thanksgiving off; my in-laws are in Fairfield CT and we usually visit them, I could have just shown you

Joveen 11-24-2019 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkPira7e (Post 3278104)
Shit, you had to ask on a Sunday! I'll try to remember to put something together. Bug me on Instagram (I followed you to remind myself) and I'll try to get stuff together. It's not pretty but it functions and should be pretty reliable. It's too bad I didn't get Thanksgiving off; my in-laws are in Fairfield CT and we usually visit them, I could have just shown you

I might need to take a ride to come see it in person. I followed you back. I'm just gonna go ahead and buy the IC kit and a Maperformance or JDL manifold.

DarkPira7e 11-24-2019 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joveen (Post 3278105)
I might need to take a ride to come see it in person. I followed you back. I'm just gonna go ahead and buy the IC kit and a Maperformance or JDL manifold.

Yeah the manifold is the best starting place. Honestly the whole MAperformance hot parts kit is sweet, but your choice in turbo could make it not fit perfectly; it's really stressful. That's why I had a custom downpipe made, no fitment worries.

I run the turbo with no BOV and it's not developing and shaftplay or anything, so I can attest that at least the one I bought is holding up well and makes the power I expected.

HaXx 12-20-2019 11:51 PM

next spring/summer lets meet up for 86club banter and appreciation. i look forward to making your acquaintance.

DarkPira7e 12-21-2019 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaXx (Post 3284880)
next spring/summer lets meet up for 86club banter and appreciation. i look forward to making your acquaintance.

Definitely! Do you go to Wicked Big Meet? I'm there every year as well

DarkPira7e 02-14-2020 09:56 PM

https://youtu.be/NRAsPMR90p0

Here's a video of it running when it's real cold out! Still runs awesome! Even with no BOV the turbo has no shaft play.

Still running stock catback

mrg666 02-15-2020 06:38 PM

Nice build, enjoy!

Joveen 02-15-2020 09:00 PM

I'm still on this fence for this kit.

DarkPira7e 02-15-2020 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joveen (Post 3299375)
I'm still on this fence for this kit.

I still think you're better off getting the MAPerformance or JDL kit! I would if I could go back. My kit works great but it was a headache to flatten the flanges

weederr33 02-15-2020 09:25 PM

Interesting read for this build thread. I find it quite contradictory to have budget build and reliable in one sentence. Especially talking about turbos. But I like that you are opened minded about the kit and made do with the quirks. I've strongly considered going FI on my daily driver. However, the kits I like or want are either discontinued/ very rare (Cosworth), or batshit unreliable (HKS). Either way, good luck with your build!

DarkPira7e 02-15-2020 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weederr33 (Post 3299379)
Interesting read for this build thread. I find it quite contradictory to have budget build and reliable in one sentence. Especially talking about turbos. But I like that you are opened minded about the kit and made do with the quirks. I've strongly considered going FI on my daily driver. However, the kits I like or want are either discontinued/ very rare (Cosworth), or batshit unreliable (HKS). Either way, good luck with your build!

Well, budget minded on parts where I felt the expense could be spared- like the turbo, intercooler, and manifold!

Tuning and boost management are really not something I'd ever advice cheaping out on. That's why I got a turbosmart wastegate and ECUTEK

DarkPira7e 02-27-2020 03:21 PM

Build pause- following months of an odd rattle at certain RPM and random VVT issues, my timing chain broke.