Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Popping noises (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116456)

E'sFR-S 01-02-2019 11:48 AM

Any fix to this?? I have the same issue. Suspension feels fine a speed. Just pops in my driveway.

maicolp 04-16-2019 06:50 AM

same here... sounds like cluncks and cracks when going slow on paved roads and over bumps. i can even feel the vivration thru my feet

steve99 04-16-2019 07:15 AM

Likely rear deck crwaking noise , their is TSB out on that

ermax 04-16-2019 07:24 AM

The EPS is also known to clunk and rattle at slow speeds over small bumps like road reflectors. There is a rubber bushing that couples the motor to the worm gear that falls apart. This part isn’t sold separately for our car but Toyota sells it for several of their other cars. It’s $4 and easy to install. I wrote a DIY on installing the part. When I get to a computer I will dig up the link and update this post.

will86 06-04-2019 04:09 PM

Hi guys - does my video below sound similar to your issue?

Did you find out what it was in the end?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XC7hRS3o3EScou1y5

JBezugs 06-11-2019 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by will86 (Post 3224622)
Hi guys - does my video below sound similar to your issue?

Did you find out what it was in the end?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XC7hRS3o3EScou1y5

Bump as it sounds like I'm having the same noises. Mostly from the rear of the car/underneath the centre console.

will86 06-12-2019 12:35 PM

Mines defo from the front, strange

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

bottle 07-08-2019 05:44 PM

Any updates on this? I'm also having similar noises but unable to find out the source. Front passenger side for me.

will86 07-09-2019 02:48 AM

Mine was fixed by greasing the front anti roll bar

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

JBezugs 07-09-2019 10:26 AM

Honestly, I think the source of my rattle is my exhaust moving around. I switched to an extended hanger on one side of the muffler to level out the tips in the rear, and my rattle/creak under the centre and rear of the car has gotten a bit worse.

Not sure how to keep the exhaust from moving around, I’ve only had this issue since a few months after switching to a JDL 4-2-1 EL header.

toast 07-21-2019 11:07 PM

I'm getting the same noise on the driver side, stock struts on RCE yellow springs. Started a couple months ago with a single pop when backing up and turning out of my driveway. It is now several quick pops when in reverse and then a couple again when moving forward, all with the wheel cranked pretty hard. I checked sway bar end links on both sides, went so far as to remove one endlink and drive around that way. No change. I replaced the driver side strut top hat today. No change.

This is the first time I've seen someone suggest the sway bar itself needs to be lubed - I can't rule that out since I never disconnected both end links, the bar still would have been moving around. Going to try that next.

Simulating turning by putting a low profile jack under the tire doesn't result in the clicking. I think it requires suspension movement with different loads on each side along with steering turns.

I'll update after lubing up the sway bar mounts.

robbiehhhh 09-12-2022 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toast (Post 3239655)
I'm getting the same noise on the driver side, stock struts on RCE yellow springs. Started a couple months ago with a single pop when backing up and turning out of my driveway. It is now several quick pops when in reverse and then a couple again when moving forward, all with the wheel cranked pretty hard. I checked sway bar end links on both sides, went so far as to remove one endlink and drive around that way. No change. I replaced the driver side strut top hat today. No change.

This is the first time I've seen someone suggest the sway bar itself needs to be lubed - I can't rule that out since I never disconnected both end links, the bar still would have been moving around. Going to try that next.

Simulating turning by putting a low profile jack under the tire doesn't result in the clicking. I think it requires suspension movement with different loads on each side along with steering turns.

I'll update after lubing up the sway bar mounts.

Hey mate,
Sorry to revive
Did you manage to fix it?

toast 09-14-2022 09:08 AM

I wound up pulling the sway bar mounts off and relubing to fix it. Permanent fix was adding a zerk fitting to each mount and squirting lube in each spring.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.