Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   OEM Exhaust Mod-Cutting the Stock muffler open (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110683)

ModBargains.com 09-20-2016 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NyC Zn6 (Post 2754612)
Is this an i'm just bored and i have a grinder+motorcycle helmet let me hack up my oem muffler thread ....if so subbed.

I feel like this is how the aftermarket mod industry was founded!

We support Charles and his motorcycle-helmet antics! :bonk:

Mike1327 03-16-2020 08:34 AM

I did this mod yesterday.

Cut the center 4" section between the separating walls weld spots, chopped out the center section pipes, and welded it back shut.

Sounds great, you really only hear the difference under acceleration. Otherwise sounds mostly stock, maybe 15% more growly.

High recommend for anyone wanting a LITTLE more than stock sound. $150 for a welder and welding helmet, and about $10 in bent sawsall blades.

I'd recommend this though:

- Cut open BOTH SIDES of the canister
- get 10" long sawsall metal blades.

That way you can not smash your fingers and hands and destroy a bunch of blades trying to cut out the center pipes.

And, added bonus, you get to learn welding a little more if this is a first time or you.

humfrz 03-16-2020 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike1327 (Post 3309256)
I did this mod yesterday.

Cut the center 4" section between the separating walls weld spots, chopped out the center section pipes, and welded it back shut.

Sounds great, you really only hear the difference under acceleration. Otherwise sounds mostly stock, maybe 15% more growly.

High recommend for anyone wanting a LITTLE more than stock sound. $150 for a welder and welding helmet, and about $10 in bent sawsall blades.

I'd recommend this though:

- Cut open BOTH SIDES of the canister
- get 10" long sawsall metal blades.

That way you can not smash your fingers and hands and destroy a bunch of blades trying to cut out the center pipes.

And, added bonus, you get to learn welding a little more if this is a first time or you.

Got any pictures?

humfrz

Mike1327 03-16-2020 12:15 PM

pics

No, you just cut a big "U" on both sides in the center as in other pics, then a long metal blade wont smack into the muffler case and bend. its 2x the welding, but well worth it.

TRUST ME, it's a PITA to cut out the center pipes if you only open up one side of the muffler.

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3309278)
Got any pictures?

humfrz