Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   CARB certified Turbo Kits? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45876)

Tim_Asphalt_FRS 09-04-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mav1178 (Post 1188468)
Stupid is subjective

Except that all the companies have to pay to have CARB test their parts. It's all a money grab, not to help the environment which is how they got all those people to approve that proposition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

sw20kosh 09-04-2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86_ZN6 (Post 1187051)
my turbo kit (stage 0 as we call it) also keeps stock headers, stock intake box and has a recirc Bov

and yes it will undergo CARB certification

note: picture above is still a prototype

So you don't need to keep the stock 2ndary cat for CARB? Intersting!!!

Also, interesting heat exchanger! Never seen that on charge piping!

mav1178 09-04-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim_Asphalt_FRS (Post 1188918)
Except that all the companies have to pay to have CARB test their parts. It's all a money grab, not to help the environment which is how they got all those people to approve that proposition.

Uh... you pay a lab to test/validate the modification for you (much like paying a smog station for a smog check), but the application for Exempt status is free.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/forms/forms.htm

Quote:

Once the application has been filed, the Air Resources Board will contact you to inform you of missing information or to specify test vehicles. You are responsible for obtaining the vehicles and having them tested at a qualified independent laboratory. If you have any questions concerning the suitability of a vehicle for testing or the test themselves, please contact the staff engineer assigned to your application. If confirmatory testing is required at the Air Resources Board's laboratory after you completed the testing, you must provide the test vehicle, but there is no charge for testing.
Basically the manufacturer (say, Greddy) has to do all the R&D to make sure the kit passes emissions. Then Greddy arranges for an independent, certified lab to test the kit (with and without), and the paperwork is prepared in accordance with what is required by the ARB.

There's no fee associated with this paid to the state directly and it is most certainly not a money grab. The cost of CARB-exempt products and kits are usually associated with the design and testing of parts that require a lot of time and money invested. The same power goals of a turbo kit can be achieved without all the fancy testing, and the lower price of an "offroad only" kit is a direct reflection of this.

-alex

clayrush 09-04-2013 06:21 PM

Not that e z. But I am only going off what greddy, stillen, avo and gtm said about costing thousands and being extremely time consuming and only one place in all of California that is approved to do the testing.

mav1178 09-04-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clayrush (Post 1189104)
Not that e z. But I am only going off what greddy, stillen, avo and gtm said about costing thousands and being extremely time consuming and only one place in all of California that is approved to do the testing.

It's not at all easy, hence my comment about cost.

Most of the costs associated lie with the manufacturer, and that's my main point. This is not a money-grabbing scheme as previously suggested.

Much like a new car's emissions systems, the law states you can only have XYZ emissions for a given type of new car. The costs of design and testing primarily rest with the manufacturer, any fees or permits is very small (or nonexistent) in the context of R&D.

-alex

clayrush 09-04-2013 07:10 PM

Sorry I was not meaning to stomp on what you said I was trying to reinforce it. :)

ModBargains.com 09-04-2013 07:14 PM

As far as kits available right now, I don't believe there are any kits available, I have yet to see one that's CARB legal. CARB certification does take some time, so don't hold your breath on getting a kit available for CARB cert anytime soon.

TilesMeague 08-23-2014 04:58 PM

So how easy would it be to try and get the car registered to a relative in a different state with lower emission standards?

Sellout 08-23-2014 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TilesMeague (Post 1913844)
So how easy would it be to try and get the car registered to a relative in a different state with lower emission standards?

Necro... It's easy. Although the cost of the ticket you're going to get when you get caught isn't easy to swallow.

TilesMeague 08-23-2014 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sellout (Post 1913942)
Necro... It's easy. Although the cost of the ticket you're going to get when you get caught isn't easy to swallow.

And how do you end up getting caught?

Sellout 08-23-2014 08:26 PM

Out of state plates get noticed. California recently set up a website for your neighbors to turn you in. Or you get pulled over for anything...

SmsAlSuwaidi 08-23-2014 08:29 PM

CARB certified Turbo Kits?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sellout (Post 1913999)
Out of state plates get noticed. California recently set up a website for your neighbors to turn you in. Or you get pulled over for anything...

Interested in more info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TilesMeague 08-23-2014 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sellout (Post 1913999)
Out of state plates get noticed. California recently set up a website for your neighbors to turn you in.

What is this, 1984? What an evil system

Sellout 08-23-2014 09:04 PM

http://www.chp.ca.gov/prog/cheaters.cgi

10 years ago, or thereabouts, I got pulled over with a friend who had been living in San Diego and never registered his car here. He had been driving around with out of state plates for a couple years before he finally got pulled over...

He got a ticket that was between 400 and 500 bucks at the time and then had to deal with getting the car smogged and registered in california or go back home.

Quote:

What is this, 1984? What an evil system
cali sucks :(