Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Passenger seat sliding back (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71975)

Foobar 08-12-2014 09:56 AM

Yeah we're specifically talking about pulling the side lever or the rear strap to allow a passenger access to the back seat.

The front bar pulled up does allow you to latch in several places, but that's a different bar.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

shiumai 08-12-2014 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 1895149)
Have to lift the bar for each point or hold it up all the way back. So ... the free sliding must be just a BRZ thing. Odd that would be different.

don't touch the bar in front of the seat; only the side lever to tilt the seat back to pivot forward and slide forward to allow passengers to get into the back.

Tcoat 08-12-2014 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiumai (Post 1895211)
don't touch the bar in front of the seat; only the side lever to tilt the seat back to pivot forward and slide forward to allow passengers to get into the back.

It is the side lever I am talking about. I pull it up, the seat back leans forward and the whole thing slides forward and locks at the end of the track. Have to release the front bar to make it go back again (the side lever will not release it when locked forward) Wasn't joking when I said maybe mine was broke. Has been that way since day one so always though that was how it was supposed to work. If it is broke I am going to leave it that way as it sounds like a pain if it slides back on it's own. Will compare against another at the dealer and see if I can figure out what is different with mine. May have just discovered a new DIY mod!

Deathalo 08-12-2014 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 1895226)
It is the side lever I am talking about. I pull it up, the seat back leans forward and the whole thing slides forward and locks at the end of the track. Have to release the front bar to make it go back again (the side lever will not release it when locked forward) Wasn't joking when I said maybe mine was broke. Has been that way since day one so always though that was how it was supposed to work. If it is broke I am going to leave it that way as it sounds like a pain if it slides back on it's own. Will compare against another at the dealer and see if I can figure out what is different with mine. May have just discovered a new DIY mod!

If yours does work as you say, I wonder if there's a way to switch modes, I can't imagine they used 2 different seat mechanisms, these cars were built with the same parts in the same factories.

carbonBLUE 08-12-2014 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deathalo (Post 1894571)
Hey, I tried searching for a solution to this but came up with nothing. Is there a way to stop the passenger seat from sliding back when pushing it forward to get into the back? Whenever I have someone getting into the back (especially parked on an incline ever so slight) the seat keeps hitting them if I'm not holding it and makes it extremely difficult, annoying, and embarrassing to get into the car. Also a pain when trying to put something that requires 2 hands to hold in the back, cause then I have no hands to hold the seat up with and the seat just comes back and smacks whatever is in my hands. Why wouldn't they just design it to hold up at the front of the track when the seat is pulled forward like that, then release when you push the seatback back, like every other coupe? Has anyone figured out a way to achieve this? Is there some sort of trick to it I have yet to figure out?

park facing downhill, problem solved, thread should now be closed...

Foobar 08-12-2014 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 1895226)

Hmm I'm gonna see if I can break mine tonight. LOL

Harvey 08-12-2014 11:18 AM

Have the same behavior... the passenger seat tends to slide back into my doughters face when she tries to get in or out.... and yes, you can get people behind (see the thumbnail bottom left, ready to go to the field with heli and familly aboard):

http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/18/86/19/63/to_the10.jpg

humfrz 08-12-2014 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foobar (Post 1895171)
Yeah we're specifically talking about pulling the side lever or the rear strap to allow a passenger access to the back seat.

The front bar pulled up does allow you to latch in several places, but that's a different bar.

This just may be the differences we are seeing.

On my FR-S, if I pull the front bar to move the seat up, it will latch in a forward position.

If I use the side lever (which tilts the back) to move the seat up, it will NOT latch in a forward position.

I reckon they designed it this way so a back seat passenger can get into the back seat, "pull the tab" and pull the seat back into a rearward position.

humfrz

Tcoat 08-12-2014 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deathalo (Post 1895253)
If yours does work as you say, I wonder if there's a way to switch modes, I can't imagine they used 2 different seat mechanisms, these cars were built with the same parts in the same factories.

I doubt there is a way to switch modes or the manual should say so. Probably something just bent or out of place on mine. It was the dealer showroom car and had god only knows how many people climbing through it for a few months. I watched 6 people climb in and out (not all at once of course) in the 1/2 hour it took to sign the papers alone. So not inconceivable that somebody got overly rough with the mech and broke or twisted something.
As I said before I will see if I can figure out what is different. Hopefully I don't accidently "fix" it while doing that though.

CAMBAM_6 08-12-2014 01:52 PM

I drive a 13' FRS and my passenger seat just slides back I have to hold it while i buckle my daughter in..kind of annoying. Also my Doors do the same they rarely stay in place and usually swing back in hit me if I don't actually hold the door open when I get out especially inclined (or is it declined) you know what i mean lol :mad0260:

I've kind of gotten used to it athough it is very frustrating lol

00NissanNinja 08-12-2014 01:56 PM

With mine it slides freely if I either pull the tab or if the seat reclines all the way to its forward most position by pulling the side lever(lever to recline the seat) . I wish it worked more like the way vw does with the 2 door golfs but oh well. Basically seems that the free movement mode is linked directly to having the seat reclined forward as far as it can be.

tennisfreak 08-12-2014 02:01 PM

Mine slides freely

BUT

when I slide the seat forward if I reach under and push down on the bar underneath the front of the seat then I can get it to stay in place.

wheelhaus 08-12-2014 02:23 PM

This is interesting, my daughter is now riding in a forward facing seat, and getting her in/out is fristrating when the car is constantly trying to hug me.

My BRZ seat release doesn't lock forward. I was considering adding a tension spring somewhere under the seat to help pull it forward.

BTW @Harvey that's a nice lookin' TRex700. How long have you been flying?

continuecrushing 08-12-2014 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 1895500)
On my FR-S, if I pull the front bar to move the seat up, it will latch in a forward position.

If I use the side lever (which tilts the back) to move the seat up, it will NOT latch in a forward position.

I reckon they designed it this way so a back seat passenger can get into the back seat, "pull the tab" and pull the seat back into a rearward position.

humfrz

This is how mine is. HIGHLY annoying when a passenger pulls the strap, the seat back folds forward and they push the seat forward(so they can get out). Then, when they least expect it, the whole thing slides back...I dont understand why it doesnt "lock" in place. The only time it locks in place is when you use the bar on the front. But what the hell is purpose of that, when they cant reach it.

Scion/Toyota/Subaru screwed up on this one. Huge, no. But definitely annoying.