Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   FR-S / BRZ vs.... (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Twins vs M2 (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93175)

TylerLieberman 03-31-2016 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PureShield (Post 2605334)
The M2 could have been so much better if it were NA, couple hundred pounds lighter, and with an LSD. Like the E46 M3 :).

The M2 does have an LSD. The same Active rear diff that's in the M3/M4/M5 etc.

I like the power delivery of the motor in the M2. Sounds good and it's consistent. A definitely agree on the weight though. 3200lbs would have been much nicer... but then, it'd be faster than the M3/M4, and BMW can't have that. lol

PureShield 03-31-2016 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TylerLieberman (Post 2605351)
The M2 does have an LSD. The same Active rear diff that's in the M3/M4/M5 etc.

I like the power delivery of the motor in the M2. Sounds good and it's consistent. A definitely agree on the weight though. 3200lbs would have been much nicer... but then, it'd be faster than the M3/M4, and BMW can't have that. lol

Oh, somebody on the forum said it had some kind of crazy, technical diff. My bad for just believing them without checking haha.

c4lvinnn 03-31-2016 03:02 PM

I really want to drive current gen M cars at the limit. If it's anything like people say, this car will also tend to understeer at the limits. Time for a square set up, beefier spring rates, fairly aggressive front camber specs and some aero to keep the front down...

unsurety 03-31-2016 04:13 PM

The 228i already weighs 3300 lbs, and it has a 4-cylinder.

Either way, big improvement for BMW. The E92 M3 was 3,700 lbs

TylerLieberman 03-31-2016 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c4lvinnn (Post 2605384)
I really want to drive current gen M cars at the limit. If it's anything like people say, this car will also tend to understeer at the limits. Time for a square set up, beefier spring rates, fairly aggressive front camber specs and some aero to keep the front down...

I had zero issues. The M3/M4 is actually pretty tail happy and tends to oversteer at the limit. The M2 felt quite neutral. Very, very slight understeer at the limit on the M2, but I liked it. Very neutral, and well balanced.

c4lvinnn 03-31-2016 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TylerLieberman (Post 2605631)
I had zero issues. The M3/M4 is actually pretty tail happy and tends to oversteer at the limit. The M2 felt quite neutral. Very, very slight understeer at the limit on the M2, but I liked it. Very neutral, and well balanced.

That's kind of opposite of what I have been reading in terms of M3/M4. A ton of people prefer meaty square set ups and they still get slight understeer and they just throttle it out if they need to keep it more neutral.

Either way, I think I'll still do a meaty square set up

TylerLieberman 03-31-2016 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c4lvinnn (Post 2605656)
That's kind of opposite of what I have been reading in terms of M3/M4. A ton of people prefer meaty square set ups and they still get slight understeer and they just throttle it out if they need to keep it more neutral.

Either way, I think I'll still do a meaty square set up

If people are driving with the driver assists on, then I could see that. The MDM kicks in way early, as soon as it senses any sort of rotation in the car.

I also think a square setup would be great on the car. However, I have to strongly disagree with the people saying the F80/F82 understeers in an aggressive manner at/near the limit. If you go anywhere near the throttle in 1st-3rd gear in a corner, the back wants to come around instantly. It's predictable, but you can still sense it.

exE36M3 04-01-2016 01:01 AM

FWIW - BMW Car Club of America members got a preview of the M2 at the various California tracks. In short... all the statistical racing on paper means nothing until you get behind the wheel of one of these beasts. Just about ALL my fellow BMW friends were ready to hand over the keys to their M3 cars.

1000 hours of reading internet posts will never equal even 1 hour of behind the wheel time. Sometimes you just gotta drive it. :)

rascasse 04-04-2016 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exE36M3 (Post 2606254)
FWIW - BMW Car Club of America members got a preview of the M2 at the various California tracks. In short... all the statistical racing on paper means nothing until you get behind the wheel of one of these beasts. Just about ALL my fellow BMW friends were ready to hand over the keys to their M3 cars.

1000 hours of reading internet posts will never equal even 1 hour of behind the wheel time. Sometimes you just gotta drive it. :)

THIS! :thumbsup:

TylerLieberman 04-11-2016 11:36 AM

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP5z2cJ5aqk"]2016 BMW M2: Sometimes the Sequel is Great, Too - Ignition Ep. 149 - YouTube[/ame]

Scottemad123 04-11-2016 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TylerLieberman (Post 2617667)


I wish this car wasn't so tempting now.

GTHachiRoku 04-12-2016 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottemad123 (Post 2617883)
I wish this car wasn't so tempting now.

Yup, starting to save now for when slightly used examples hit the market! 😅

Scottemad123 04-12-2016 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTHachiRoku (Post 2619026)
Yup, starting to save now for when slightly used examples hit the market! 😅

Yea... or make a financial mistake and order one that will arrive in like a year. :iono:

DarkSunrise 04-12-2016 12:51 PM

Would love to see a track & street comparison of M2 vs. GT350 vs. Camaro 2SS 1LE.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.