Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Member's Car Journals (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Dadhawk's FR-S (6AT Firestorm) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6178)

smbrm 05-29-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadhawk (Post 216972)
I'm second guessing the 55 shot, honestly. I'm wondering if I was in a slight incline or something. One thing I did notice is the MPG can vary widely at the same RPM even tough speed isn't changing if you are going up/down a small incline. I'll try that one again if I get a chance. It did hold there for at least 30 seconds though, and the road was relatively flat.

Dadhawk

Great thread and excellent reviewing. Really excellent! :clap:

I think you have captured and shared what everyone wants to know well beyond the specs. and that is: what it feels like and how it makes you feel as a driver! :w00t:

You have answered many questions regarding the automatic while concuring with my brief experience with the FRS automatic. It is still fun while being convenient and economical. I always thought I would want a manual, but the mpg is attractive(even though it will take a while to pay for the transmission). If on average you get the 11-12% better FE it also adds to your range flexibility. AND you can still have fun with the paddles!!:happy0180:

One point about the speed MPG readlings. It would be nice to know how they are measuring the mpg for a start, fuel flow or correlated some how to engine vaccum or throttle opening? Just because the speedometer reads constant rpm and speed does not mean that timing and throttle opening are not fluctating with a consequence on fuel flow. The fluctations may not be enough that you would notice but the instantaneous fuel consumption readout could still vary as a result. So if you caught a slight uphill or downhill difference between the readings that could impact the readout comparison. Just a thought to explain the differences.

I am sure you know that drag also squares with speed, as well, so, throwing that on top may impact the differences, but would not explain deviations from an expected rate of mpg increase.

There could also be variations related to where you are on the torque curve. I think those rpm are on a transitional part of the torque curve. As well as we have no idea what the throttle map actually looks like.

Great reviews, you have helped my AT/MT deliberations immensely!

When the drop-dead-date for confirmation arrives I will be much better equipped. So thanks.

One interesting question:

I wonder if you increase the throttle on downshift more than the autoblip programming will provide? Not sure why you wouldn't be able too?

Also, once you have no clutch, left foot braking becomes an option, however that will I suspect be limited by the safety feature to prevent simultaneous brake and gas application(expect this is on the manual and the automatic). It would be a curiousity to understand just how sensitive simultaneous application would be? I suspect it just allows the brake to over ride the throttle(no matter) which would be best in terms of safety.

BR33Z3 06-01-2012 04:17 PM

I read that you were considering a clear bra, did you ever end up going with one? If so, would you mind PM'ing me with the info? I'm in GA as well and would like to find a good clear bra installer. TIA.

Grateful Dave 06-01-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadhawk (Post 222413)
Approaching the end of my first two weeks, I have to say my FR-S is meeting the (relatively realistic) expectations I had for it as a daily commuter.

The gas mileage as recorded in the OP continues to impress at 30.22MPG over 616 miles of mostly Atlanta commuting. That means there is some time at highway speeds, sometimes at city speeds and sometimes at a dead stop. Just to set a benchmark, I did some measurements this morning. It took me 50 minutes to get to work. Of that 50 minutes, a little of over 20 minutes was sitting at a dead stop at lights, behind traffic, etc. This morning was a little unusual as I would say its normally under 15 minutes of dead stop time. Still pretty doggone good.

In two weeks, the FR-S has "saved" me $42.34 in my commute over my previous DD, and that includes allowing for the difference in purchasing Premium vs. Regular fuel. If the FR-S used regular, the price savings would be $56.29.

Your mpg sounds great. Just what I'm looking for. I should get my AT Asphalt June 12.
So now that you have driven your FRS over 1000 miles, What do you think? How's that AT? I know it still is early to get a complete impression but you are farther along than when you first bought it. I know you are discovering more new things everyday about the car. Love to hear them:happy0180:

Dadhawk 06-03-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grateful Dave (Post 236072)
So now that you have driven your FRS over 1000 miles, What do you think? How's that AT? ...

I'm very happy with the car as a daily commuter. The gas mileage is falling right into the range I had been looking for for my commuting time. The FR-S is also a great weekend car for just tooling around town, on the backroads or taking a road trip. As noted in my "junk in the trunk" thread, I see no issues with taking a vacation for two of a week or more in the car, even with having to pack some level of gear.

The AT is turning out to be 'as advertised', a very good (and in some ways better, more flexible) alternative to the MT. I do not believe anyone that makes a decision to go with it will be disappointed. It is not a MT, but most of the differences are good ones. I would have been happy with either, but I think for me the AT is a better choice if your primary goal is a daily driver.

Grateful Dave 06-03-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadhawk (Post 238442)
I'm very happy with the car as a daily commuter. The gas mileage is falling right into the range I had been looking for for my commuting time. The FR-S is also a great weekend car for just tooling around town, on the backroads or taking a road trip. As noted in my "junk in the trunk" thread, I see no issues with taking a vacation for two of a week or more in the car, even with having to pack some level of gear.

The AT is turning out to be 'as advertised', a very good (and in some ways better, more flexible) alternative to the MT. I do not believe anyone that makes a decision to go with it will be disappointed. It is not a MT, but most of the differences are good ones. I would have been happy with either, but I think for me the AT is a better choice if your primary goal is a daily driver.

Thanks Dadhawk.:thanks: Yes it will be my Daily Driver and I have chosen the AT. I did test drive the MT which was great, but it sounds like I made the right choice for my DD. Only nine more days until I get mine.:happyanim:

Dadhawk 06-06-2012 08:49 PM

New Best Reaction to Seeing Car

I had two great reactions to the car today.

First, I had a couple of guys in a hellaflush/slammed Lexus (I think it was an ES300) do a "fan" drive around the car today (covering all four sides) in the highway while the passenger took pictures. They were pretty cool about it, and left plenty of room. Gave me the thumbs up when they were done, which I returned.

Best reaction though was later in the day. I caused my first onlooker accident. A guy in a motorcycle repair parking lot was doing a slow speed U turn on a motard (I think it was a Honda 250, but not certain) saw the car and literally ran his bike into a curb watching me drive by. He turned right into the curb and dumped the bike. Fortunately, he was moving real slow and the bike was well used so no harm to rider or bike that I could tell.

So, is it weird that I think I now know how a supermodel feels when she walks by me and I do something stupid? :thumbup:

Also, updated gas mileage figures in the OP.

pixel67 06-07-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadhawk (Post 225491)
Got to do my first emergency lane change yesterday.

I'm driving to work in the morning on I-285 in Atlanta when I detect the distinct smell of melting rubber. The truck in front of me pulls to the left lane, and there in front of me is a old Tercel doing 70MPH with a flat tire!

The driver either has no clue, or has decided she can't pull over. I can't believe she doesn't know because the tire is completely flat.

I'm thinking OK, I'll pull over to her right and wave her over. Unfortunately, there is a semi on both sides of me, no where to go. Just about this time, the tire decides to shred itself. Just as the tire completely leaves the rim, and heads straight back for me, I'm able to dodge left out of the way just in time to avoid the road alligator that used to be her tire bouncing past the right side of my car.

Lady is still clueless, now driving on the rim, sparks flying! I pull up, try to wave her over but she's got the 1 mile stare thing going out the window.

Fortunately, about that time a cop comes up behind her and pulls her over.

The good news is that she was unharmed and the FR-S survived the event.

I felt like stopping and saying "Really, Lady, you didn't think the fact that your ass end was dragging the ground there was a problem?" :bonk:

:mad0260: gotta love driving in ATL! I am all too familiar with 285 and feel your pain. Too many idiots dodging in and out of traffic with cell phones stuck to their heads while eating a whopper...

Dadhawk 06-07-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixel67 (Post 247561)
:mad0260: gotta love driving in ATL! I am all too familiar with 285 and feel your pain. Too many idiots dodging in and out of traffic with cell phones stuck to their heads while eating a whopper...

Yea, I do it 80 miles a day. Its a special kinda love!

pixel67 06-07-2012 09:39 PM

My son and i stopped by Mall of Georgia Toyota today and sat in an Argento AT. Both of us fell in love with this car and had to wipe our drool off the seat before leaving. Hope to tame the "tail of the dragon" with one of these before winter comes.

Dadhawk 06-10-2012 07:18 PM

In the garage

1 Attachment(s)
Well, now that I'm more comfortable with the dimensions of the FR-S we found a place for it in the garage after all. Still don't let anyone get in the Mustang while its in the garage though!

Until I took this picture I didn't realize how much lower the FR-S is compared to the Mustang.

Also, next plan, put a floor in the garage, and repaint! Thinking of using something like RackDeck or TechFloor rather than paint. I'd be interested if anyone has any experience with either.

terrypm 06-10-2012 07:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
When I am in my FR-S it feels like I am in a gocart. The Jeep is all stock....no lift kit.

roddy 06-10-2012 08:37 PM

Dadhawk, thanks for the comparison shot... mine will be sharing the shop with an '07 Mustang. Firestorm is a little darker than I thought. It makes the bright "torch red" on the Mustang look almost orange.

Dadhawk 06-10-2012 09:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by roddy (Post 251594)
Dadhawk, thanks for the comparison shot... mine will be sharing the shop with an '07 Mustang. Firestorm is a little darker than I thought. It makes the bright "torch red" on the Mustang look almost orange.

No problem. Plan on taking some more shots if it ever stops raining.

On the color, I'm not sure its not just the lighting. In person they don't look that much different to the eye. The Firestorm is a bit darker (I happen to like it better) but I really thought they were closer in color.

Here's a photo taken of them in daylight on the way home from picking up the FR-S.

roddy 06-10-2012 09:37 PM

It's not as noticeable in that pic.