Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   People's Reaction to Your New FR-S (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6559)

Dadhawk 06-19-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mauricio (Post 266114)
... he probably thinks im one of the many around me who are 16 and have brand new m3's sponsored by their parents, I wasn't that lucky and I'm glad about that. ....

IMHO those kids aren't "lucky", they are "entitled" and don't know the value of a dollar or the self-respect they would get from paying for something themselves.

Sounds like you are the lucky one Mauricio.

bladesamurai 06-19-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadhawk (Post 266171)
IMHO those kids aren't "lucky", they are "entitled" and don't know the value of a dollar or the self-respect they would get from paying for something themselves.

I dunno, having a free brand new M3 at 16 sounds pretty great :)

YoshiMike13 06-19-2012 11:38 AM

I have not seen a SINGLE BRZ/FR-S in connecticut!! I mean southbury is a pretty rich area so people could easily afford it here! (Especially the guy i see rollin around in a 458 Italia!) I guess I just gotta wait a while to see one in person :(

Dadhawk 06-19-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadhawk (Post 266171)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bladesamurai (Post 266177)
I dunno, having a free brand new M3 at 16 sounds pretty great :)

Yea, but nothing builds character like owning a $300 Dodge Polaris with a push button transmission that requires FORD (Fix Or Repair Daily). Trust me, I know! :thumbsup:

YoshiMike13 06-19-2012 11:44 AM

And to talk about what you are all talking about, I am about to be 17, and I have to pay for my first car in full, and pay for gas and insurance. When I see my peers with the brand new mustang, I really would like to slash those tires. Call me mean, call me evil, call me what you want, I dont care. They wont really know the best life skills if mommy and daddy buy you everything you want.

I also think there is nothing wring with financing a car, but I don't know about all that stuff, so yeah.

Erroneous 06-19-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YoshiMike13 (Post 266210)
I have not seen a SINGLE BRZ/FR-S in connecticut!! I mean southbury is a pretty rich area so people could easily afford it here! (Especially the guy i see rollin around in a 458 Italia!) I guess I just gotta wait a while to see one in person :(

I haven't seen one in Atlanta either, surprisingly enough...I'm waiting on DadHawk to venture into the DT area. :(

Erroneous 06-19-2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadhawk (Post 266219)
Yea, but nothing builds character like owning a $300 Dodge Polaris with a push button transmission that requires FORD (Fix Or Repair Daily). Trust me, I know! :thumbsup:

Your post must have stirred up some repressed memories because now that I think about it, I got plenty of reactions from others while in high school driving a busted hand-me-down '88 Accord that had a crap-brown body, blue hood, and grey left fender. Thanks a lot, older brother.

thill 06-19-2012 11:56 AM

Most of the entitled kids I went to high school with (I went to a pretty affluent school, but my parents made me work for everything) dropped out of college by their junior year.

Not all of them, but a good percentage of them. Getting everything handed to you and drugs/partying all the time will do that...

YoshiMike13 06-19-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erroneous (Post 266240)
Your post must have stirred up some repressed memories because now that I think about it, I got plenty of reactions from others while in high school driving a busted hand-me-down '88 Accord that had a crap-brown body, blue hood, and grey left fender. Thanks a lot, older brother.

its alright I will probably be driving the same thing! well, I have been looing at nissan s13's but they are probably gonna be out of my budget and, well, Im in connecticut there is NONE here! lmfao

Spd229 06-19-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erroneous (Post 266228)
I haven't seen one in Atlanta either, surprisingly enough...I'm waiting on DadHawk to venture into the DT area. :(

I drive up through downtown twice a week =P

Whereabouts are you looking and when? Might have to arrange a flyby if you really haven't had the chance to see one.

In regards to the whole financing / paying off full thing....that's been pretty beat to death already.

However I can't say that I had to pay for my first vehicle, I did however have to work for it through an agreement with my dad who did purchase it (the only new car we had ever had). After 5 years the car was paid off and given to me as a graduation gift for both highschool and college at which point it still looked showroom clean; it was my responsibility to maintain it, keep my grades up and stay out of all forms of trouble....really damn good way to teach a kid discipline rather than handing them the keys and only making threats. Of course, there's always more to it than that but I by no means had the car handed to me without gaining appreciation for what it took to get it.

Being on topic however, I did have a group of what I assumed to be highschool kids do a drive around while I was in town. They took a few pictures with their phones while doing so. They then proceeded to pull up next to me and ask me one fated question "How fast does it go?" That's about the only interest I've gotten from it so far, aside from people at the dealership when I had gone up there to pick up an FR-S hat my sales rep had gotten for me.

p.s. I financed my fr-s ;)

MVJ1975 06-19-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadhawk (Post 266219)

Brings back memories of the litany of $300 BMW/Benz jalopies my wife and I drove over in Germany. The 3 series sedan that would start when it felt like it, the Benz W123 with the faulty parking brake that rolled across the street into the ditch, ahh, there's nothing like beater cars.

TeaBuoy 06-19-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ft86fanatic76 (Post 264963)
just because you HAVE (note, i said have, and not own,) a nice car (ft-86) or a nice expensive car, such as a BMW or Benz, doesnt mean you own the car, and that you are rich. ive seen people working at low minimum wage jobs, on welfare and still be able to LEASE or FINANCE an expensive car. these people are TOOLs. i cant tell you how many times ive seen people on the road driving expensive cars and they live in a crappy broken down house, behind on credit card bills, and not being able to afford food. if you want to be a TRUE owner of a nice car, then you have to be able to pay it off 100% on the same day. if i see someone a young person at a car meet, with a brand new expensive car, i will flat out ask them if they paid it off 100%. and i will know you are BS'ing me if you say yes... pretending to be rich doesnt make you "cool", it makes you look pathetic. just FYI.....

I'm gonna have to disagree with this..

Even if I had 25k sitting around, I rather finance it and build my credit and invest that money into something else.

Another thought, and I'm not saying saving is bad..but I could either save $500 a month for the next 5 years before I can afford to buy the car outright, OR I could just finance the car, paying $500 a month and be able to drive the car now. Granted, I am paying a thousand or two on interest, but I suppose that's the cost of having it 5 years earlier..and I don't think I'd mind that. Besides, with inflation, 25k five years from now isn't going to be the same as 25k now..simple economics. :)

I do understand that there are those who shouldn't take out loans they can't afford, but you can't blame the rest of us that have our priorities and our finances together.

chate 06-19-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ft86fanatic76 (Post 264963)
just because you HAVE (note, i said have, and not own,) a nice car (ft-86) or a nice expensive car, such as a BMW or Benz, doesnt mean you own the car, and that you are rich. ive seen people working at low minimum wage jobs, on welfare and still be able to LEASE or FINANCE an expensive car. these people are TOOLs. i cant tell you how many times ive seen people on the road driving expensive cars and they live in a crappy broken down house, behind on credit card bills, and not being able to afford food. if you want to be a TRUE owner of a nice car, then you have to be able to pay it off 100% on the same day. if i see someone a young person at a car meet, with a brand new expensive car, i will flat out ask them if they paid it off 100%. and i will know you are BS'ing me if you say yes... pretending to be rich doesnt make you "cool", it makes you look pathetic. just FYI.....

:sigh:...+1 for redik generalizations

there are A LOT of people around age 25 that make 6 figure incomes and can easily "pay off" a 27k car. The difference between old generation folks and young people who make decent money is the young person will say "why would i pay 27k cash to save 3% interest when i can invest 27K over those same 5 years and turn out closer to ~5%?"
That's why a lot of people finance, not because we're poor, because we realize paying off a depreciating investment is a bad move.

sorry and to add to the point of this thread most common comment is:
"WHOA!! What kinda scion is that??"

Dadhawk 06-19-2012 12:13 PM

Finance vs Pay off smackdown

:offtopic:

Folks, there are several threads on this, so I suggest you search for one of those to continue your debate on this. We've kinda hijacked this thread with that and its like arguing religion, neither side is going to convince the other one you are right.

Just a thought... I now return you to your regularly scheduled "People's Reaction to Your NEW FR-S" topic...