Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Has anybody ever noticed.... (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138795)

WNDSRFR 01-31-2020 11:40 AM

Has anybody ever noticed....

I've had my car now for what? 7 years? And I just noticed something today.

If the doors are locked, they can't be opened. Not from the outside OR the inside. I think this is the first car I've owned that's had this "feature". Every other car I've had the interior door opener would override the lock and the door would open. On this car you must either push the unlock button on the armrest or on the door itself. Seems like it could be dangerous in an emergency situation.

Another thing I noticed lately is the speedometer will tell you how fast you're going in reverse. A nice feature to keep you from speeding in reverse.

George Rosebush 01-31-2020 11:44 AM

I've never noticed a door opener (the handle?) that unlocks or overrides anything. You have a manual switch to unlock from inside, my old sentra was the same way.

Dake 01-31-2020 11:57 AM

In my experience, it's typically US automakers that will open from the inside without first unlocking. I think Fords still do this, but every Toyota I've ever owned stays locked until you unlock it - in or out.

My old Celica requires you to hold the exterior handle up when closing the door for it to stay locked as well - it was their protection against accidentally locking your keys in the car.

YamahaR86 01-31-2020 12:03 PM

I noticed it immediately when I got the car 7 years ago. Since the door doesn't autolock when I get in or drive, I locked it manually (super rare occasions).

Then I forget when I stop and try to open the door since I had pushed it to lock.

Dake 01-31-2020 12:15 PM

Yeah - this might be the main thing these days. So few new cars don't have autolock/unlock anymore, I guess it might seem a little unusual. Even my '01 Echo had that feature. But my wife's '08 Yaris is like the FR-S in that you have to hit the button to do both.

humfrz 01-31-2020 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WNDSRFR (Post 3295540)
I've had my car now for what? 7 years?

Another thing I noticed lately is the speedometer will tell you how fast you're going in reverse. A nice feature to keep you from speeding in reverse.

DANG, I wished I would have known that - maybe I wouldn't have dented the rear end of my FR-S - :eyebulge:

Anything else real exciting happening in Cocoa, Florida today? - :D

humfrz

Will BRZ 01-31-2020 12:54 PM

I used to go to my car and take a nap on my lunch break. I’d lock it and then wake up and go to open the door and realize that it doesn’t unlock automatically.

ROFL it's Waffle 01-31-2020 01:03 PM

Quote:

If the doors are locked, they can't be opened. Not from the outside OR the inside. I think this is the first car I've owned that's had this "feature". Every other car I've had the interior door opener would override the lock and the door would open. On this car you must either push the unlock button on the armrest or on the door itself. Seems like it could be dangerous in an emergency situation.

Your child lock is on :bellyroll:

WNDSRFR 01-31-2020 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3295572)
DANG, I wished I would have known that - maybe I wouldn't have dented the rear end of my FR-S - :eyebulge:

Anything else real exciting happening in Cocoa, Florida today? - :D

humfrz

Nope, it's a pretty crappy day. It's overcast and only about 75 degrees. Way too cold to go to the beach. The Canadians seem to be enjoying it though.

KR-S 02-01-2020 02:29 AM

Quote:

Honestly, things could be much worse.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSo_Kf4eT8A[/ame]

86MLR 02-01-2020 03:11 AM

Didn't read manual?

Stupid design anyway.

MJones_RB 02-03-2020 02:44 PM

I heard the S2000 was the same. That's why they stopped making them: too many fatalities.

Tcoat 02-03-2020 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJones_RB (Post 3296389)
I heard the S2000 was the same. That's why they stopped making them: too many fatalities.

They should have made MORE!

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...8-osS3hh_937L8

tarzan_nojane 02-03-2020 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROFL it's Waffle (Post 3295579)
Your child lock is on :bellyroll:

Your FR-S is identifying you as a child