follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Unichip
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-23-2014, 12:50 AM   #1
happytimetom
Member
 
happytimetom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Drives: 2013 Black 86 GTS
Location: Australia
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Engineers Certificate needed for turbo kit?

Hey Guys,

I'm thinking about getting the AVO turbo kit installed by MRT in Sydney in the coming months though I am a bit sketchy on the legality of the whole thing. Like i'm sure the rest of you do, I have fully comprehensive insurance, which is something that I don't want to void.
Do I need to get an engineers certificate to certify the car still meets all NSW road regs etc after I get the kit fitted or not? I asked MRT and the bloke said "Most people don't bother" This made me very confused as for me personally, the last thing I would want is my insurance company to turn around and not give me any money because there was no formal inspection on the modifications.
I'd be curious to know how other things effect this as well, coilovers etc.

I always thought you only needed to get the work engineered if you did it yourself, not if it was done by a licensed mechanic.

I've also been told I may only be required to get a mod plate, is this the same thing or what? There doesn't seem to be much easily accessible information out there regarding this specific topic.

Thanks for any help
happytimetom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:57 AM   #2
DriftEightSix
Pegasus White
 
DriftEightSix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: 86
Location: Brisbane.
Posts: 998
Thanks: 646
Thanked 121 Times in 101 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytimetom View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm thinking about getting the AVO turbo kit installed by MRT in Sydney in the coming months though I am a bit sketchy on the legality of the whole thing. Like i'm sure the rest of you do, I have fully comprehensive insurance, which is something that I don't want to void.
Do I need to get an engineers certificate to certify the car still meets all NSW road regs etc after I get the kit fitted or not? I asked MRT and the bloke said "Most people don't bother" This made me very confused as for me personally, the last thing I would want is my insurance company to turn around and not give me any money because there was no formal inspection on the modifications.
I'd be curious to know how other things effect this as well, coilovers etc.

I always thought you only needed to get the work engineered if you did it yourself, not if it was done by a licensed mechanic.

I've also been told I may only be required to get a mod plate, is this the same thing or what? There doesn't seem to be much easily accessible information out there regarding this specific topic.

Thanks for any help
This is like a 90% populated USA forum

Yes you will need to get eng cert for turbo kit!
__________________
Driving: Pegasus White Manual GTS 86.
DriftEightSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:04 AM   #3
JP
Backyard Fabricator
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: JZX83, SF5 GT, ZZE82 turbo
Location: Australia
Posts: 303
Thanks: 45
Thanked 145 Times in 73 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
x2, in NSW you will need to get the kit approved by an engineer. Including emissions test etc. In QLD it's a fair bit easier and just needs a mod plate.


A list of certified engineers can be found through the main roads website.
JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:09 AM   #4
happytimetom
Member
 
happytimetom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Drives: 2013 Black 86 GTS
Location: Australia
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Would it void my insurance if I didnt get one, looking at it on the website, looks like a huuuuuge fuck around. I don't mind risking the defect notice, i just want the insurance cover.
happytimetom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:29 AM   #5
DriftEightSix
Pegasus White
 
DriftEightSix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: 86
Location: Brisbane.
Posts: 998
Thanks: 646
Thanked 121 Times in 101 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytimetom View Post
Would it void my insurance if I didnt get one, looking at it on the website, looks like a huuuuuge fuck around. I don't mind risking the defect notice, i just want the insurance cover.
Yes it will voild insurance!!!!

DON"T FUCKEN DARE DRIVE ON THE ROAD WITH AN UNROADWORTHY FUCKEN CAR YOU TWATT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU KILL SOMEONE AND HAVE NO INSURANCE WTF WOULD YOU DO WITH YOURSELF!?!?!?
__________________
Driving: Pegasus White Manual GTS 86.
DriftEightSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:12 AM   #6
happytimetom
Member
 
happytimetom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Drives: 2013 Black 86 GTS
Location: Australia
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftEightSix View Post
Yes it will voild insurance!!!!

DON"T FUCKEN DARE DRIVE ON THE ROAD WITH AN UNROADWORTHY FUCKEN CAR YOU TWATT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU KILL SOMEONE AND HAVE NO INSURANCE WTF WOULD YOU DO WITH YOURSELF!?!?!?
Ok so that was a lot of caps. Remember i'm the one trying to do this properly, as Brett from MRT said, "most people dont bother". This is turning into such a headache.
happytimetom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:27 AM   #7
JP
Backyard Fabricator
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: JZX83, SF5 GT, ZZE82 turbo
Location: Australia
Posts: 303
Thanks: 45
Thanked 145 Times in 73 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
it's not that hard... contact an engineer, ask what their process is, get the kit installed, get it tuned to pass the test and do any other required upgrades from the engineer (brakes) and pay the bill.


My NSW engineering for one of my cars ended up needing an 11 page report (Engine, brakes, trans, diff, FMIC, Turbo, seats, exhaust, ecu etc), I had the same car engineered in QLD and it just needed an A5 sized slip and the modplate up here :p
JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:32 AM   #8
Skorov
Senior Member
 
Skorov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Drives: 86 GTS White
Location: Sydney, AU
Posts: 553
Thanks: 91
Thanked 156 Times in 96 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
1. Avoid MRT.
2. Avoid MRT at all costs. I cannot stress this enough.

You're best to call and ask your insurance company. They would know.
However, regardless of insurance, you can still get a defect notice if the turbo kit is not engineered.

The good thing about AVO is that it's quite hidden. A cop with no car knowledge will go, "No snail thingy. No worries." It's your choice whether you want to risk it or not.

I'm currently running AVO Stage 2. Good kit.

Not sure if I mentioned this or not but, avoid MRT.
Skorov is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Skorov For This Useful Post:
dangerfield (02-23-2014), DriftEightSix (02-23-2014), mad_sb (02-23-2014), mswhong (02-23-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 02:43 AM   #9
happytimetom
Member
 
happytimetom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Drives: 2013 Black 86 GTS
Location: Australia
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorov View Post
1. Avoid MRT.
2. Avoid MRT at all costs. I cannot stress this enough.

You're best to call and ask your insurance company. They would know.
However, regardless of insurance, you can still get a defect notice if the turbo kit is not engineered.

The good thing about AVO is that it's quite hidden. A cop with no car knowledge will go, "No snail thingy. No worries." It's your choice whether you want to risk it or not.

I'm currently running AVO Stage 2. Good kit.

Not sure if I mentioned this or not but, avoid MRT.
Why avoid MRT, from what i've seen they are the more reputable place to go with an 86. Experience with boxer engines, have done lots of 86's and have lots of good reviews and also offer a lifetime warranty on the parts they install and cover things the manufacturers warranty won't once modified. They seem to know what they are talking about and have a good name, they're a bit more expensive but usually you get what you pay for.

Who would you go with if not MRT?

What do you think of the stage 2?
happytimetom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:45 AM   #10
Pitman
Living the dream
 
Pitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Drives: Fensport AVO Turbo GT86
Location: UK
Posts: 194
Thanks: 171
Thanked 175 Times in 91 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftEightSix View Post
Yes it will voild insurance!!!!

DON"T FUCKEN DARE DRIVE ON THE ROAD WITH AN UNROADWORTHY FUCKEN CAR YOU TWATT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU KILL SOMEONE AND HAVE NO INSURANCE WTF WOULD YOU DO WITH YOURSELF!?!?!?
Nice language!



The sentiment is totally correct, though
Pitman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pitman For This Useful Post:
DriftEightSix (02-23-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 02:51 AM   #11
Skorov
Senior Member
 
Skorov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Drives: 86 GTS White
Location: Sydney, AU
Posts: 553
Thanks: 91
Thanked 156 Times in 96 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytimetom View Post
Why avoid MRT, from what i've seen they are the more reputable place to go with an 86. Experience with boxer engines, have done lots of 86's and have lots of good reviews and also offer a lifetime warranty on the parts they install and cover things the manufacturers warranty won't once modified. They seem to know what they are talking about and have a good name, they're a bit more expensive but usually you get what you pay for.

Who would you go with if not MRT?

What do you think of the stage 2?
I'm not going to publicly trash MRT. PM me if you want specific details. They have blown at least 1 FA20 though.

I've heard good things about Autotech. And I can personally vouch for Unigroup. They are always busy, so you might not get the pleasantries like daily updates, but they do very good work and most importantly, I trust them.

After you work through the few small issues, it's a fantastic kit! Exactly the right amount of power, imo.
Skorov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:55 AM   #12
JP
Backyard Fabricator
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: JZX83, SF5 GT, ZZE82 turbo
Location: Australia
Posts: 303
Thanks: 45
Thanked 145 Times in 73 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
MRT's tuning popped 2 engines in my other Subaru, EJ20 and an EJ25. Changed tuners with the 3rd engine and it's still going 7 years later
JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:38 AM   #13
dangerfield
Senior Member
 
dangerfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: Toyota 86 GTS 6AT (Tornado Grey)
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 172
Thanks: 89
Thanked 105 Times in 32 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
No, no, no... please don't be another MRT victim dude.
dangerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:25 AM   #14
mswhong
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Drives: FT86
Location: AUS
Posts: 256
Thanks: 83
Thanked 61 Times in 43 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
lol.. please don't be another MRT victim. Take your car to Chequered Tuning and talk to Trent.

chequeredtuning.com - they don't use ecutek from what I remember - rather, they prefer BRZedit which I think is the way to go given that ECUtek is proprietary software.
mswhong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:52 AM   #15
jet86
Master Builder
 
jet86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: gt86
Location: Central Coast Australia
Posts: 390
Thanks: 83
Thanked 212 Times in 101 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Theres about 10 places in sydney id rather go before mrt. The reason why they look good on paper is becsuse they spend all their money on advertisements. I know of 2 people already that have had mrt tunes and then been re-tuned by tunehouse within a few weeks.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
jet86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:33 AM   #16
Riggs
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Drives: 2001 Mitsubishi Evo
Location: Sydney
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The guys at Speed by Design and BTA Motorsports are looking for a Sydney based 86 to test fit the SBD turbo kit before the Aussie launch. Let me know if you know anyone interested.

Here's the thread on it..

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58514
Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:33 AM   #17
jet86
Master Builder
 
jet86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: gt86
Location: Central Coast Australia
Posts: 390
Thanks: 83
Thanked 212 Times in 101 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Looks just like a greddy kit. Already a few of those around Sydney.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
jet86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:20 PM   #18
Riggs
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Drives: 2001 Mitsubishi Evo
Location: Sydney
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Different kit, components and price point. Anyway, just throwing it out there if someone was interested.
Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:47 PM   #19
AVOturboworld
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Drives: 2013 "AVO Orange" FR-S
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 960
Thanks: 62
Thanked 2,035 Times in 559 Posts
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Just contact Lee at AVO turboworld in Melbourne - lee@avoturbo.com - he's got a couple of customers that have gotten that done on the AVO kit already, so will know which direction to point you in. Sounds like it wasn't that hard to get done for them.
AVOturboworld is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
avo, certificate, engineers, turbo

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rumor: Mazda Engineers pushing for more RWD models Allch Chcar Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions 32 10-15-2013 02:57 PM
Software and electrical engineers look here jonbonazza Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 6 09-15-2013 10:06 PM
Unnecessary Boost needed (Turbo or Supercharge) Nickse30 Forced Induction 32 05-27-2013 11:57 AM
Obama Birth Certificate Maybe Forged, Sheriff Joe Arpaio Says vh_supra26 Off-Topic Lounge 16 03-05-2012 02:38 PM
Scion test engineers can't drive (Hyundais) holmesbrz Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 23 02-28-2012 02:11 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.