follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook. Interested in the FT-1? Check out FT1Club
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Racer X Fabrication
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-15-2012, 01:21 PM   #103
Bob
Hattori Hanzo's steel

Drives: Audi B5 A4 1.8TQM, Kia Forte 5dr
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by delongedoug View Post
Yay for more teen parents.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #104
suprachica79

Drives: free Hyundai, 2006 Kawasaki ZX6R
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
QFT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn248 View Post
Reminds me that I need to work on finding a JDM girlfriend, or maybe JDM modified for US use as I don't think I could learn Japanese.
suprachica79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #105
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,147 Times in 625 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonBLUE View Post
you do realize when you say that, those better handling cars are WAYYY above a lot of our price ranges...

this is the best handling car you are going to get for 25K, hands down... ive driven a miata, love the way it drives but i have kids, and i do believe the FR-S will preform better, i personally want a wide body kit, coilovers, and 10' wide tires, HANDLE LIKE A BEAST!!!!
So are porsches.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:37 PM   #106
catharsis

Drives: honda civic si 08
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Wow glad I stayed away from the subaru kool-aid. Boxer engines apparently are the best engines ever which is why only 2 manufacturers use them, and even with the mighty and superior boxer motor the sti loses to the evo everytime .
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:10 PM   #107
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 (Asphalt)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by catharsis View Post
Wow glad I stayed away from the subaru kool-aid. Boxer engines apparently are the best engines ever which is why only 2 manufacturers use them, and even with the mighty and superior boxer motor the sti loses to the evo everytime .

SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:08 PM   #108
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,186 Times in 545 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
You missed the point. Great handling isn't boxer engine dependent. I could name other cheaply priced sporting vehicles if you'd like me too. The ITR didn't have a boxer, the last generation MR-S didn't have a boxer engine either. I think you guys are caught up in the hype and need to come back to reality.

What makes you think this car will out handle the Miata. It's lighter,tidier and better balanced.
i never said it was better because it was a boxer

this car has a lot of potential, if its already got plenty of grip with low resistance tires, im just imagining with r-comps how well it will stick to the ground...

my celica isnt a boxer either but it handles really well, love the way it handles even on its worn out shocks and springs...

EDIT:
Quote:
Your point is? im 20 and doing pretty well for myself, work 10-6 monday through friday and make a decent living...

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:38 PM   #109
Mulder
4AGE Enthusiast

Drives: 1986 Toyota MR2 20v, 2004 Tacoma
I'll be waiting for at least 3 years for 3 reasons.
1) It will take me 2 more years to finish paying off my Tacoma.
2) Give them time to work out the kinks
3) I want the SC or turbo model and won't consider buying one until that's an option.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #110
Buggy51

Drives: Put Put
Actually I'm curious to those that mentioned about first year kinks. Can anyone provide an example? I haven't been able to easily find notable examples of first year production problems, especially in recent cars.

I understand that every year, there should be new fixes and patches upon the car. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that the new patches/fixes don't introduce another problem :/
Buggy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #111
tachi1247

Drives: 04 BMW 330i & 03 Mazdaspeed Protege
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggy51 View Post
Actually I'm curious to those that mentioned about first year kinks. Can anyone provide an example? I haven't been able to easily find notable examples of first year production problems, especially in recent cars.

I understand that every year, there should be new fixes and patches upon the car. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that the new patches/fixes don't introduce another problem :/
there have been many out there. Off the top of my head I can think of the e9x 335i engine and its oil cooling problems. Before that the e46 m3 had engine problems. I know my msp protege has had dozens of technical service bulletins to address various items. One of which was an ecu flash to fix hesitation during rapid acceleration and there have been at least 3 rear sway bar bushing designs to address the problem of them wearing out every 7500 miles.

there are always more problems with first year vehicles. Usually they aren't critical flaws but going in for recalls all the time is a pain. Also depending on the problem you may end up paying to fix it yourself before a recall is issued.
tachi1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #112
Buggy51

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachi1247 View Post
there have been many out there. Off the top of my head I can think of the e9x 335i engine and its oil cooling problems. Before that the e46 m3 had engine problems. I know my msp protege has had dozens of technical service bulletins to address various items. One of which was an ecu flash to fix hesitation during rapid acceleration and there have been at least 3 rear sway bar bushing designs to address the problem of them wearing out every 7500 miles.

there are always more problems with first year vehicles. Usually they aren't critical flaws but going in for recalls all the time is a pain. Also depending on the problem you may end up paying to fix it yourself before a recall is issued.
Hmm I see, though it seems to be more of a BMW issue coming out from your memory. I'm looking around Subaru's history and it was the head gasket?

And referring to the recall, would you receive a refund or anything if a recall is issued after you had the problem fixed? Or SOL?
Old 02-25-2012, 09:06 PM   #113
I usually post drunk

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
totally agree, especially the pie-in-the-sky promises a few years off. Were only here a short while, if you want the car and can afford it, get it!

Yep, that's why I put down a deposit. Sure I can wait a few months after release to be able to haggle a few dollars off MSRP or I can wait a year or two for updated 5x114 bolt pattern, or a few years for a more powerful version, or a refresh for better looking rear lights. Maybe there will be some annoying interior rattle I can wait for the next model year to fix.

You can list things forever as reasons to not get it now. And if that were the case I would be walking everywhere for the rest of my life. The car is 95%+ what I want, until I am a millionaire I can live without that 5%. I think people get too caught up in that 5%.
#87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:17 AM   #114
tachi1247

Drives: 04 BMW 330i & 03 Mazdaspeed Protege
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggy51 View Post
Hmm I see, though it seems to be more of a BMW issue coming out from your memory. I'm looking around Subaru's history and it was the head gasket?

And referring to the recall, would you receive a refund or anything if a recall is issued after you had the problem fixed? Or SOL?
I remember BMW because those are the cars I follow most closely. If i don't get a brz then I will probably be getting one of those since they are the only other cars that are entertaining.

you would be completely on your own dealing with soa to get any money back after a recall. If your fix was the exact fix as the recall turned out to be then you would be in good shape but if the dealer did anything else to try and fix the problem you would probably be sol
tachi1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:31 AM   #115
velocity

Drives: rx8
The only thing that would make me wait....

Official report of a new RX
velocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #116
ette
the enforcer

Drives: MKV GTI
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity View Post
The only thing that would make me wait....

Official report of a new RX

This.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #117
Buggy51

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachi1247 View Post
I remember BMW because those are the cars I follow most closely. If i don't get a brz then I will probably be getting one of those since they are the only other cars that are entertaining.

you would be completely on your own dealing with soa to get any money back after a recall. If your fix was the exact fix as the recall turned out to be then you would be in good shape but if the dealer did anything else to try and fix the problem you would probably be sol
Ah I see. Well, at any rate, I'm just mainly waiting for the price lol. And from there, if there's availability.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #118
HitTheGas

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Well I'm buying this year or next year.

I'm really really really really REALLY hoping this car is a good value, because i am in Love w/ it's styling. the porsche-esque center of gravity & what could be the biggest boom to import tuning since the civic si are the icing on the cake.

But if it's too expensive, i'm also considering a mustang GT; because right now it's a really good value for what you get.

I would prefer to wait until 2014 just because 13 is unlucky & 14 is a multiple of 7 which is lucky.

no but really, i may get it this year; but probably next as i'd like to see what the next 2014 miata looks like too. the SkyActiv stuff has me intrigued, if they can offer a miata that gets 50mpg & does 0-60 in 6 seconds that might make me reconsider the FR-S/BRZ. of course that is entirely speculation. but why i'll probably wait until next year to get my FR-S/BRZ.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #119
Future

Drives: BRZ!
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Exactly like cellphones.... Just wait, never buy.