follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook. Interested in the FT-1? Check out FT1Club
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
WORKS
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #1
joergasm
Senior Member
 
joergasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Drives: Subaru BRZ 2013 - SWP 6MT
Location: Toronto
Posts: 357
Thanks: 97
Thanked 38 Times in 24 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Footwell Mood Light Help

I have no electrical experience or background. Just bought these blue footwell mood lights from zeta performance.
Is there a way to set it up so the light turns on when door opens and stays on when car turns on. (Whether you out a switch or not)

I need help!

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1368209523906.jpg
Views: 1351
Size:  65.5 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1368209537126.jpg
Views: 1313
Size:  57.4 KB

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2
__________________
joergasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:20 AM   #2
MemphisR
Memphis
 
MemphisR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: 1989 MR2 S/C, 2014 Scion FR-S
Location: Abbotsford, B.C.
Posts: 362
Thanks: 117
Thanked 64 Times in 48 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Just wire them so they are getting power from both the dash lights when turned on and the door switches
__________________
"It's ok... It's not structural."- Mikey
MemphisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #3
zooki
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: 2013 Ultramarine Scion FR-S
Location: Texas
Posts: 658
Thanks: 160
Thanked 303 Times in 187 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You can look in the DIY forum. There's a whole thread on it.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...twell+lighting

The Search function is your friend.
__________________
2013 FR-S, the daily driver
1995 4Runner 4x4, the offroader
1999 Ford F250, the tow rig
1990 Mustang GT, midlife crisis in the making
1969 Mustang, the fast car....(:
zooki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
ZetaPerformance
 
ZetaPerformance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Drives: 2013 FR-S
Location: SoCal
Posts: 392
Thanks: 622
Thanked 239 Times in 132 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
For the footwell light, you can also tap into the radio harness or the hazard/clock harness, so they will turn on along with the rest of the interior light, and could adjust the brightness with the illumination switch.

The little blue box (battery pack) and the blue button switch from the package is just for demonstration purpose, as you would remove those prior to the installation.
ZetaPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:53 PM   #5
Cameronghanson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ, 2013 Tesla Model S
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 558
Thanks: 215
Thanked 123 Times in 92 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
i tapped into the traction control/sport mode light switch so it goes on only with the interior lights...its in the tread mentioned above
Cameronghanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #6
FRS_Sovereign
Manual Noob
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S MT Asphalt
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 76
Thanks: 31
Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronghanson View Post
i tapped into the traction control/sport mode light switch so it goes on only with the interior lights...its in the tread mentioned above
Could you go into further detail i have been looking for a DIY for tapping into the interior lights. I think a good step by step would suffice. It would be much appreciated.
FRS_Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #7
Cameronghanson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ, 2013 Tesla Model S
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 558
Thanks: 215
Thanked 123 Times in 92 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS_Sovereign View Post
Could you go into further detail i have been looking for a DIY for tapping into the interior lights. I think a good step by step would suffice. It would be much appreciated.
I can try!

1. Place lights where they can't be seen (obv) and make sure the wires on the drivers side and the passenger side are facing each other (facing the center) --||-- (sorry I know that's crude but that's basically it, if you need pics I can grab some)
2. Pull off the bezel surrounding the shift knob and unplug the bundle of cables attached to the traction control sport mode module. Strip the black tape off the wires and I believe the small purple wire is the lighting one but you can use a volt meter to test that.
3. There is a screw that holds down the shift unit to the body of the car. This is a good ground. Attach your ground wire to this.
4. Splice in your led lights to the purple wire and wrap it up.
5. Tuck the light wire underneath the side of the main center area with the shifter and all that and the wire should be all hidden.
6. Put the bezel back on and you should be good to go!

Sorry this was all done at work on my phone lol it may be a little simplistic. If you need further details or pics I can probably grab you some. The final product is in that forum above
Cameronghanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #8
joergasm
Senior Member
 
joergasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Drives: Subaru BRZ 2013 - SWP 6MT
Location: Toronto
Posts: 357
Thanks: 97
Thanked 38 Times in 24 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronghanson View Post
I can try!

1. Place lights where they can't be seen (obv) and make sure the wires on the drivers side and the passenger side are facing each other (facing the center) --||-- (sorry I know that's crude but that's basically it, if you need pics I can grab some)
2. Pull off the bezel surrounding the shift knob and unplug the bundle of cables attached to the traction control sport mode module. Strip the black tape off the wires and I believe the small purple wire is the lighting one but you can use a volt meter to test that.
3. There is a screw that holds down the shift unit to the body of the car. This is a good ground. Attach your ground wire to this.
4. Splice in your led lights to the purple wire and wrap it up.
5. Tuck the light wire underneath the side of the main center area with the shifter and all that and the wire should be all hidden.
6. Put the bezel back on and you should be good to go!

Sorry this was all done at work on my phone lol it may be a little simplistic. If you need further details or pics I can probably grab you some. The final product is in that forum above
Is there a way to make a switch in that empty middle area that could switch the footwells from power from accessory to power from dome light?

You just gave me an idea. I have mt br so there is no snow mode button in the middle. Was thinking that I can maybe grab a parted frs/brs snow mode button and make that the switch.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2
__________________
joergasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #9
Cameronghanson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ, 2013 Tesla Model S
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 558
Thanks: 215
Thanked 123 Times in 92 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joergasm View Post
Is there a way to make a switch in that empty middle area that could switch the footwells from power from accessory to power from dome light?

You just gave me an idea. I have mt br so there is no snow mode button in the middle. Was thinking that I can maybe grab a parted frs/brs snow mode button and make that the switch.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2
yeah probably, it would basically just close the circuit. You would have to drill into that plastic with a dermal tool or something but its very doable IMO given how open that area by the shifter is
Cameronghanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:34 AM   #10
joergasm
Senior Member
 
joergasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Drives: Subaru BRZ 2013 - SWP 6MT
Location: Toronto
Posts: 357
Thanks: 97
Thanked 38 Times in 24 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronghanson View Post
yeah probably, it would basically just close the circuit. You would have to drill into that plastic with a dermal tool or something but its very doable IMO given how open that area by the shifter is
You seem to have some electrical skills/knowledge. I have a manual brz so I do not have that snow/sport mode button in that space. I was thinking of purchasing this and seeing if I could use that as my switch.

Looking at the switch and how it is connected do you think it's possible? or do you think it might be crazy excessive work?
__________________
joergasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:02 AM   #11
AR35
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: none
Location: Savannah,GA
Posts: 113
Thanks: 19
Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I dont think it will be that hard. You just have to split the wires and connect the snow/sport wires to the light then connect that to a power source. So it will go light-wire-snow/sport-wire-power source. So when you flip the snow/sport it will turn it on or off, by cutting the power or letting the power connect.

Correct me if im wrong but i think thats right.
AR35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:09 AM   #12
tbwoodlee
I Void Warranties
 
tbwoodlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Drives: Asphalt 86
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 238
Thanks: 229
Thanked 104 Times in 62 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joergasm View Post
Is there a way to make a switch in that empty middle area that could switch the footwells from power from accessory to power from dome light?

You just gave me an idea. I have mt br so there is no snow mode button in the middle. Was thinking that I can maybe grab a parted frs/brs snow mode button and make that the switch.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2
I have replaced those buttons and it seems like it would be somewhat difficult, the trac off button and the vsc sport button and the blank are all connected together.

I used a dremel tool and installed a switch on the inside of the console tray. It is covered by my armrest too. Looks pretty nice, I will take a picture of it this afternoon.
tbwoodlee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tbwoodlee For This Useful Post:
joergasm (05-14-2013)
Old 05-14-2013, 06:23 PM   #13
FRS_Sovereign
Manual Noob
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S MT Asphalt
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 76
Thanks: 31
Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronghanson View Post
I can try!

1. Place lights where they can't be seen (obv) and make sure the wires on the drivers side and the passenger side are facing each other (facing the center) --||-- (sorry I know that's crude but that's basically it, if you need pics I can grab some)
2. Pull off the bezel surrounding the shift knob and unplug the bundle of cables attached to the traction control sport mode module. Strip the black tape off the wires and I believe the small purple wire is the lighting one but you can use a volt meter to test that.
3. There is a screw that holds down the shift unit to the body of the car. This is a good ground. Attach your ground wire to this.
4. Splice in your led lights to the purple wire and wrap it up.
5. Tuck the light wire underneath the side of the main center area with the shifter and all that and the wire should be all hidden.
6. Put the bezel back on and you should be good to go!

Sorry this was all done at work on my phone lol it may be a little simplistic. If you need further details or pics I can probably grab you some. The final product is in that forum above
Actually i think this is a great step by step, looks very simple This is what i will be doing this weekend.
FRS_Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRS_Sovereign For This Useful Post:
Cameronghanson (05-14-2013)
Old 05-14-2013, 08:46 PM   #14
Cameronghanson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ, 2013 Tesla Model S
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 558
Thanks: 215
Thanked 123 Times in 92 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joergasm View Post
You seem to have some electrical skills/knowledge. I have a manual brz so I do not have that snow/sport mode button in that space. I was thinking of purchasing this and seeing if I could use that as my switch.

Looking at the switch and how it is connected do you think it's possible? or do you think it might be crazy excessive work?
i have a manual too...sport traction control light wire should work though
Cameronghanson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cameronghanson For This Useful Post:
FRS_Sovereign (06-01-2013)
Old 06-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #15
FRS_Sovereign
Manual Noob
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S MT Asphalt
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 76
Thanks: 31
Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
It's done

Hey, it worked perfectly. Thanks for all the help.
FRS_Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRS_Sovereign For This Useful Post:
Cameronghanson (06-04-2013)
Old 06-02-2013, 01:34 AM   #16
joergasm
Senior Member
 
joergasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Drives: Subaru BRZ 2013 - SWP 6MT
Location: Toronto
Posts: 357
Thanks: 97
Thanked 38 Times in 24 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS_Sovereign View Post
Hey, it worked perfectly. Thanks for all the help.
Show pics!

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2
__________________
joergasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:00 AM   #17
stockysnail
Just the tip
 
stockysnail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Drives: 2013 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ Mt Lt
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 1,774
Thanks: 279
Thanked 545 Times in 362 Posts
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
The easiest place to tap into is the accessory 12v (lighter plug) in the glove box. All you need to do is take the glove box off (super easy), take the 12v off and you'll see the place to put your wires (with ends that will fit which for me were the red plastic with small flat metal ends). They will turn on with the car. The hard part is getting them to stick to the plastic underside in the footwell or where ever you put them.
__________________
Current: 2013 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ Limited & 2014 BMW i3
Past (sold): 2015 Yamaha FZ-07, 2004 Volkswagen R32, 2005 Graphite Grey Lotus Elise, 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX RS, 2001 Yamaha R1, 1997 Honda Del Sol, 2005 Subaru WRX, 2001 Mercury Cougar, 1995 Honda Civic Si, 1997 Mitsubishi Mirage DE, 1996 Honda CBR600F3, 1984 Honda Accord
stockysnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #18
FRS_Sovereign
Manual Noob
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S MT Asphalt
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 76
Thanks: 31
Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joergasm View Post
Show pics!

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2
The way I did it or the turn out?
FRS_Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #19
joergasm
Senior Member
 
joergasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Drives: Subaru BRZ 2013 - SWP 6MT
Location: Toronto
Posts: 357
Thanks: 97
Thanked 38 Times in 24 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS_Sovereign View Post
The way I did it or the turn out?
Both :S lol

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2
__________________
joergasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:16 PM   #20
FRS_Sovereign
Manual Noob
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S MT Asphalt
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 76
Thanks: 31
Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joergasm View Post
Both :S lol

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2
So, first off I'm not good with electricity that should be understood. Ok So I bought some LED's from AutoZone ($20) and some electrical tape.

1. The first picture shows the LEDs under the dash with the wire going towards the center.

2. The second, is the side panel removed with the wires showing.

3. The third is the gear shift bezel removed showing the wires.
The wire harness attached to the buttons was removed. I took some insulation of of the purple wire then attached my power wire from the LED's and wrapped each in electric tape. pics 4 and 5 are close ups of the harness.

4. The sixth picture shows how they were grounded to two screws under the bezel.

5. The seventh picture is the side panel in its proper place.

6. Final Result.

Let me know how you like it because I love it. They only turn on if the headlight switch has been engaged. Also sorry about the quality of the photos done with my phone.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
         
FRS_Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #21
Derik210
That Army Guy
 
Derik210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: Firestorm FR-S MT
Location: Fort Polk, Louisiana/San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 210
Thanks: 33
Thanked 66 Times in 38 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
i just crossed wired mine to the radio wire. took me like 30 mins and i was a little buzzed lol :happy0180:
__________________
Firestorm FR-S MT
HIDs, black and red headlights, perrin crank pulley, black and red emblems. Instagram Username- derik210

Derik210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #22
Cameronghanson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ, 2013 Tesla Model S
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 558
Thanks: 215
Thanked 123 Times in 92 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS_Sovereign View Post
So, first off I'm not good with electricity that should be understood. Ok So I bought some LED's from AutoZone ($20) and some electrical tape.

1. The first picture shows the LEDs under the dash with the wire going towards the center.

2. The second, is the side panel removed with the wires showing.

3. The third is the gear shift bezel removed showing the wires.
The wire harness attached to the buttons was removed. I took some insulation of of the purple wire then attached my power wire from the LED's and wrapped each in electric tape. pics 4 and 5 are close ups of the harness.

4. The sixth picture shows how they were grounded to two screws under the bezel.

5. The seventh picture is the side panel in its proper place.

6. Final Result.

Let me know how you like it because I love it. They only turn on if the headlight switch has been engaged. Also sorry about the quality of the photos done with my phone.

Hope this helps.
haha that looks exactly like my set up. same wiring, LED strips and everything. Looks great!
Cameronghanson is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Foot Well Mood Lighting BigJyoungblood Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) 188 11-06-2013 08:12 AM
Installing Footwell from LEDGLOW pcamaliga Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) 1 05-03-2013 07:22 PM
Footwell lighting Bg8780 Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) 3 03-22-2013 11:31 AM
Genuine Toyota Footwell Light - need help translating Japanese. davey90 AUSTRALIA 1 09-28-2012 02:56 AM
Genuine Toyota Footwell Light - need help translating Japanese. davey90 Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) 16 09-17-2012 05:48 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.