follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook. Interested in the FT-1? Check out FT1Club
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
RR Racing
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-27-2013, 08:54 PM   #1
Sonolin
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Location: SoCal
Posts: 885
Thanks: 1,489
Thanked 287 Times in 175 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Headers & downpipe/overpipe installation

So, I'm curious how hard is the nameless dp/op install? Can it be down with just jack & stands?

I've heard you have to lift the engine to install it. Is that true? I don't own an engine lift unfortunately.

How about headers? Do these require the engine to be lifted?

Thanks... 90% sure I want to go nameless op/dp combo, not sure on headers yet.
Sonolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
SmsAlSuwaidi
Boosted
 
SmsAlSuwaidi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Drives: Not a supra....yet
Location: Riverside,CA/ Abu Dhabi,UAE
Posts: 2,923
Thanks: 485
Thanked 1,194 Times in 810 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I heard the over/front pipe is doable without a lift but is a squeeze, regarding the headers you won't need any type of lifting and I guess it's easier than the overpipe (I guess)
SmsAlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SmsAlSuwaidi For This Useful Post:
Sonolin (04-27-2013)
Old 04-27-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
Argento_FR-S
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Drives: Scion FR-S
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 69
Thanks: 12
Thanked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
With my SRT header-back the hardest part was just getting the stock overpipe out. Takes a good bit of twisting and maneuvering, but isn't too bad. I managed to do the whole exhaust on jackstands.
__________________
Argento_FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Argento_FR-S For This Useful Post:
Sonolin (04-27-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 01:14 AM   #4
GOT FR-S
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Firestorm)
Location: Edmonton, AB CANADA
Posts: 81
Thanks: 36
Thanked 25 Times in 23 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I just installed the Rev Works header and Invidia Resonated top pipe today. Both simple and super easy. But the down pipe or over pipe (whatever you want to call it the one that connects the two and goes over the frame). We couldn't remove that piece at all and I had the car on a lift, but maybe if it was on jack stands it may have allowed the wheels to drop creating a little bit of room. But I doubt it..
__________________
Vortech SC. Rev Work Header, Perrin over pipe, Invidia resonated top pipe, Greddy EVO3 exhaust, Perrin Light weight crank pulley, Gofast bits lightweight waterpump & alternator pulleys, Perrin Trans & Shifter mount, MTec Shift springs. Cusco rear diff brace, 1pc Alum Drive Shaft (Drive Shaft Shop), ATC performance clutch & Flywheel, Whiteline Positive traction bushings. Grimspeed hood struts. EcuTek Tune.
GOT FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:49 AM   #5
cnk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,183
Thanks: 59
Thanked 527 Times in 329 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOT FR-S View Post
I just installed the Rev Works header and Invidia Resonated top pipe today. Both simple and super easy. But the down pipe or over pipe (whatever you want to call it the one that connects the two and goes over the frame). We couldn't remove that piece at all and I had the car on a lift, but maybe if it was on jack stands it may have allowed the wheels to drop creating a little bit of room. But I doubt it..
If you take the heat shields off, the stock over-pipe comes out towards the back with a little twisting.

Sent from my Transformer using Tapatalk 2
cnk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cnk For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (09-23-2015), GOT FR-S (04-29-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 01:53 AM   #6
Xdragonxb0i
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Drives: ex500r
Location: AR
Posts: 850
Thanks: 13
Thanked 104 Times in 76 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I had my car on ramps and use a Jack lift to lift the engine a few inches to get it out
__________________
Xdragonxb0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:00 AM   #7
cnk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,183
Thanks: 59
Thanked 527 Times in 329 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdragonxb0i View Post
I had my car on ramps and use a Jack lift to lift the engine a few inches to get it out
No need to even jack the engine up if you take the heat shields off.

Sent from my Transformer using Tapatalk 2
cnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:42 AM   #8
tokiokun717
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Location: California
Posts: 99
Thanks: 26
Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Are you getting it with the resonator or without? Because that makes a big difference. With the resonator you'll probably have to lift the engine a little (I've Experienced the install twice, one for mine and another for a friends and both required it).

With that said, the amount you have to lift is merely a couple inches max so you can get away with jacking the engine.
tokiokun717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:17 AM   #9
Tye300
Senior Member
 
Tye300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Drives: Toyota 86 TRD Version AT
Location: Manila, Philippines
Posts: 883
Thanks: 547
Thanked 589 Times in 280 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
You can take out the stock overpipe without jacking up the engine. Just take off the heat shields and with a little bit of maneuvering you can take it out towards the rear. Installing an aftermarket overpipe will involve jacking up the engine though.
Tye300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #10
mad_sb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Location: Orange County
Posts: 1,642
Thanks: 632
Thanked 975 Times in 537 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonolin View Post
So, I'm curious how hard is the nameless dp/op install? Can it be down with just jack & stands?

I've heard you have to lift the engine to install it. Is that true? I don't own an engine lift unfortunately.

How about headers? Do these require the engine to be lifted?

Thanks... 90% sure I want to go nameless op/dp combo, not sure on headers yet.
Specifically for the nameless over / front combo with the helmhotz you do have to lift the engine. I put the car up on jack stands (front and rear for ground clerance) then took out the one bolt on the bottom side of the mount on the passanger side then carefully jacked the engine up from the bottom side using my floor jack with a foot long 2x4 across teh oil pan IIRC. You will need to jack it up a few inches to get enough clearance to get the over / front pipe in position then you can let it down.

Do NOT waste your time removing heat shields... that will help you get out the stock over pipe, but you still have to lift the passanger side of the engine to get the nameless over / front pipe in place. So you may as well pull off the stock over pipe after you lift the engine and save yourself 15 minutes.

I did the whole install (not expecting to need to lift the engine) in just over 1 hour.

EDIT: I think i put the 2x4 across under the factory headers... anyway, use something to spread the load across the contact area and go slowly, should not be a problem since you are not supporting the whole weight of the engine.
__________________

Last edited by mad_sb; 04-28-2013 at 10:02 AM.
mad_sb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mad_sb For This Useful Post:
GT86_PRAGUE (09-23-2015), Sonolin (04-28-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #11
Sonolin
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Location: SoCal
Posts: 885
Thanks: 1,489
Thanked 287 Times in 175 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_sb View Post
Specifically for the nameless over / front combo with the helmhotz you do have to lift the engine. I put the car up on jack stands (front and rear for ground clerance) then took out the one bolt on the bottom side of the mount on the passanger side then carefully jacked the engine up from the bottom side using my floor jack with a foot long 2x4 across teh oil pan IIRC. You will need to jack it up a few inches to get enough clearance to get the over / front pipe in position then you can let it down.

Do NOT waste your time removing heat shields... that will help you get out the stock over pipe, but you still have to lift the passanger side of the engine to get the nameless over / front pipe in place. So you may as well pull off the stock over pipe after you lift the engine and save yourself 15 minutes.

I did the whole install (not expecting to need to lift the engine) in just over 1 hour.

EDIT: I think i put the 2x4 across under the factory headers... anyway, use something to spread the load across the contact area and go slowly, should not be a problem since you are not supporting the whole weight of the engine.
Awesome thank you! That's where my misunderstanding was, I didn't even realize you can just use a jack to lift it up (I thought you had to lift the entire engine up with an engine lift).

Sounds like a pretty easy install!
Sonolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:36 PM   #12
GOT FR-S
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Firestorm)
Location: Edmonton, AB CANADA
Posts: 81
Thanks: 36
Thanked 25 Times in 23 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnk View Post
If you take the heat shields off, the stock over-pipe comes out towards the back with a little twisting.

Sent from my Transformer using Tapatalk 2
Good to know! thanks, I work around it. lol. I eventually want to change that out as its the last stock pc on my entire exhaust system. lol
__________________
Vortech SC. Rev Work Header, Perrin over pipe, Invidia resonated top pipe, Greddy EVO3 exhaust, Perrin Light weight crank pulley, Gofast bits lightweight waterpump & alternator pulleys, Perrin Trans & Shifter mount, MTec Shift springs. Cusco rear diff brace, 1pc Alum Drive Shaft (Drive Shaft Shop), ATC performance clutch & Flywheel, Whiteline Positive traction bushings. Grimspeed hood struts. EcuTek Tune.
GOT FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #13
mkivsoopra
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Drives: BRZ
Location: CA
Posts: 681
Thanks: 840
Thanked 736 Times in 331 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I installed the Borla header and catted+resonated Nameless over/front pipe with the car on jackstands (front only). I did have to jack up the engine a few inches, and maneuvering the Nameless pipe into place was tight, but doable.
mkivsoopra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #14
Carlitoz3
Senior Member
 
Carlitoz3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: 2013 MT Asphalt FRS
Location: Baldwin Park, CA
Posts: 1,041
Thanks: 234
Thanked 234 Times in 156 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Can anyone post a picture of where exactly the jack is when lifting the engine?
I had no idea about this.
Carlitoz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nameless Performance Overpipe/Downpipe Combo Jason@Nameless Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 273 10-15-2015 12:11 PM
Will nameless downpipe w/highflow cat fit with... Pandle Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 2 02-17-2013 08:13 PM
Nameless axleback and downpipe FS 117 Engine, Exhaust, Bolt-Ons 8 02-01-2013 11:06 AM
Differences between an overpipe/midpipe/downpipe? Tonym427 Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 1 08-10-2012 12:05 AM
Nameless Performance Downpipe is available for pre-order. Nameless Performance Inc. Engine, Exhaust, Bolt-Ons 4 07-12-2012 04:57 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.