follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

View Poll Results: Would you buy an aero Kit designed by me?
Yes, I would if i was considering a kit. 82 43.16%
No, I would not buy a kit from you if i was considering a kit. 16 8.42%
No, I am not considering a kit. 35 18.42%
Undecided, Not Sure if I want a kit or not 17 8.95%
Undecided, I am considering a kit but I would like to look at my options first. 40 21.05%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 12-11-2011, 10:11 PM   #1
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
WingsofWar Aero Kit Design

As some of you know, I am designing some aero that will hopefully be produced for the BRZ and FRS. Many have seen my work, and while iv mostly done my designs and art as a hobby. This will be my first full design i wish actually make some profit from even if the vendor who will manufacture and supply the aero is still pending.

While i wait for my design team to get together, i figured id make a thread just to get some consensus from the forum (you consumers) and for those who are looking into buying some aero for their BRZ or FRS.

**For those commenting** Please be constructive and express your thoughts and feelings and concerns clearly. I may or may not answer your posts. All posts are being read and considered by my design team and myself.

Lets start off with Sample 1,

This kit is going for a traditional look, focusing on more OEM type qualities. Putting more aggression and simplicity to work rather than flamboyant flaps/wings/and vents.

-The Front bumper shape is virtually unchanged from the factory bumper. However i have tightened up the front air damn for more popular style found in the current impreza/GTR/Evo. Iv have also added a 3inch carbon lip that can attach to this modified or stock bumper.

-Sidesteps have a simple 3in drop with a carbon rear splitter.

-Quarterpannel and Fenders have been oversized 10mm and 20mm to fit larger 5x100 with lower offset wheels.

The entire kit gives the illusion of having a lower car while keeping near stock ride height. Which was inspired by RWB built Porsche 911.

This car features a Titanium Silver, Hyperblack Advans, ProjectMu big Brake Kit, and a carbon mirror.

WIP1

-----------------------------UPDATE 1-17-2012----------------------------------

Alright fellas the first kit of 6 designs is nearing its final rough draft. And i want to show you my teaser poster before moving on. So let me guide you through this kit iv called Paladin.

What I wanted to do was offer an aero design that was simple and had a classic look, while retaining near factory characteristics. At the same time unique in its own right. By not over complicating the design, the Paladin line could be the cheapest of the series.

-The front fascia has had its main air dam compressed and the top guard opened up for more air. As well as intake chamber air inserts at the eyes of each headlight for function AND aggressive looks. The Front lip can be used on the Paladin Bumper, or your stock bumper.

-The front fenders overall design has been unchanged except for the increased width of 30mm. By leaving a portion of the fender concaved behind the wheel arch I had hoped this will allow air pressure to escape from the wells during spirited driving. Iv also reversed the fender insert to look "sportier" but i don't think ill be producing that insert.

-Side Skirts, i wanted to be a simple square design that flowed the straight edge of the front bumper to the rear.

-1/4 Panel, Again keeping it simple, iv increased the depth of the body line for a more straight edged figure giving it a bit more character. Increasing the width by 50mm was a must, i had hoped this would allow tuners to open up their wheel and tire options, especially when running 5x114.5 conversion spacer adapters.

-Rear flare guards, instead of making a new bumper look, iv added rear valences with built in side generators to the stock bumper. Iv done this because a new bumper would also require a new diffuser, which wont helpful to tuners wallets. Iv taken the most simplest and cost effective route while still offering a good rear option.

-Spoiler - This is not a duckbil! Iv added an muscular spoiler that acts more like an extension to the trunk, which is more purely cosmetic rather than a functional wing.

I hope you guys enjoyed this one..Stay tuned for the Paladin ZN6 Kit (FRS/GT86).

-Josh

Last edited by WingsofWar; 01-20-2012 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Added more Content
WingsofWar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WingsofWar For This Useful Post:
ESBjiujitsu (05-29-2012)
Old 12-11-2011, 10:15 PM   #2
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Wing let's just say this, If I had a BRZ I be first in line to buy that front Lip. Great job! This is the style that I am looking for in tuning my car. Thanks!

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
MiguelAE86

Drives: NB Miata
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I love it!

i would, perhaps, "shave" down that front bumper guard maybe.

And for the sideskirts, maybe smooth down that area behind the front wheel, it seems too "busy" for me honestly.

Hope that helps! other than that, where do i sign?

Edit: Also, i would love to see the rear!
MiguelAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:21 PM   #4
70NYD

Drives: RX8 S1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Very nice mate, hopefully you will get funded to make this stuff
Will your kits be aero tested?
Old 12-11-2011, 10:26 PM   #5
Zgrinch

Drives: 2013 Limited DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
I like it a lot.

Request for the visually challenged...it might be helpful to have comparison shots, so we can see the standard factory version next to your aero kit version(s).
Zgrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:27 PM   #6
KaliKev
FT86 News Addict

Drives: Toyota FJ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Looks good but need more shots from other angles.
KaliKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:30 PM   #7
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70NYD View Post
Very nice mate, hopefully you will get funded to make this stuff
Will your kits be aero tested?
As far actual testing goes, there are a select few people who will be testers for the aero. Unfortunately i seriously doubt I am going to find someone who can get it in a wind tunnel and get actual quantifiable data.

And if there are wind tunnel 3Ds simulation programs i can plug my 3D solidworks models into, thats as far as id be able to do by myself. But i don't know of such program.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:30 PM   #8
Re_Invention

Drives: '22 Tacoma, '19 Macan, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Just wanna say, it looks great and keep up the fantastic work!

I have a hunch there are going to be a number of budding Vettel's who are looking at the FR-S as a track whore. Air flow air flow air flow! Be it downforce, reducing drag or increasing cooling. Front air brake ducts, hood louver's, front splitters, rear diffusers, solid underbody trays with transmission and differential naca ducts.. BUT it all needs to be functional and that's me asking the impossible from you as we don't have the car and I'm asking you to do a job you aren't offering services for.

With that being said, I dig the side mirrors. Reminds me a little of the craftwork units on the Elise/Exige.

NONETHELESS, love the looks and am looking forward to seeing some cool stuff in the future - and mayyybe you could do an air flow special?
Re_Invention is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:32 PM   #9
Snoopyalien24
Mr. Sarcasm

Drives: 2016 VW Jetta TSI Sport 5-Speed
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Front reminds me of the GT-R.

Now about your render....... Honestly...

I really like it! Looks bomb while not overdoing it. I hope we actually get this color too. If this is actually accessible, I will totally consider a BRZ in a heartbeat! Great job Wings, like always

Hopefully you can test the "aero" part of it too. Oh and first dibs for the forum folks!
Snoopyalien24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:34 PM   #10
Re_Invention

Drives: '22 Tacoma, '19 Macan, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post
As far actual testing goes, there are a select few people who will be testers for the aero. Unfortunately i seriously doubt I am going to find someone who can get it in a wind tunnel and get actual quantifiable data.

And if there are wind tunnel 3Ds simulation programs i can plug my 3D solidworks models into, thats as far as id be able to do by myself. But i don't know of such program.
I will be monitoring air flow (pressure) and temperature all around the car when I get it, wouldn't mind sending you anything I come up with - even if it's just to add to a pool of data you may already have.
Re_Invention is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:48 PM   #11
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
I would buy aero from you since i've seen your work and it look good

are you thinking about doing stuff for the FR-S as well? also i hope some of this is functional
Old 12-11-2011, 10:54 PM   #12
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jay View Post
I would buy aero from you since i've seen your work and it look good

are you thinking about doing stuff for the FR-S as well? also i hope some of this is functional
Thanks, I will try my best to making it as functional as possible through the media and skills that are available to me right now, even if it means eyeballing everything.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:55 PM   #13
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

I would like to also note that PLEASE refrain from requests aside from, "more views". This is not a photoshop thread.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:58 PM   #14
EDub

Drives: Toyota Cressida
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Really loving the kit, not a request, but have you thought about covering up the black piece in the front opening?

I love the front lip but would probably cut it 2 in shorter and have a rivet on flexible piece like on the RWB cars so I could scrape it all day long and not worry!
EDub is offline   Reply With Quote