follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 02-04-2013, 09:34 PM   #1
olorin

Drives: GBS Premium
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
DIY - Caliper removal and paint

Items needed:
  • G2 Paint Kit
  • Pinch clamp - you can get a set of 2 from amazon for 6 bucks, you need 4
  • 17mm wrench - front brake bolt
  • 14mm wrench - rear brake bolt, connecting bolts f/r
  • 12mm wrench - brake line
  • 10mm wrench - bleeder valve
  • Lots of gloves (I used vinyl)
  • Paper towels
  • Cloth towels
  • Bucket
  • Wire brush
  • Paint brushes (lots, I used around 10 -- got them at Michaels)
  • Masking tape
  • Sandwich bags
  • Razor (To cut tap etc)

1) Use pinch clamp to pinch brake line, I clamped about 3in from the caliper. Tighten until it stops.

2) Place a paper towel and bucket under the first caliper you are going to remove the brake line from.

3) Remove brake line by removing the bolt that connects the line to the caliper (12mm). There will be 2 washers, make sure you don't loose them. I placed the end of the brake line and washers in a sandwich bag and taped it shut.

4) Remove the 2 bolts that connect the caliper to the car (17mm front/14mm rear). These should be really hard to break loose.
5) Pour brake fluid out of caliper, you can partially stop the hole with a paper towel or tape over it. Just be aware that fluid could spill out even after you drain it.

Repeat for each caliper. It's the same process for front or rear.

6) Each caliper has 2 pieces. Split the caliper by removing the 2 bolts (14mm) connecting them.

7) Remove the pads and metal clips on either end. (Only one is shown but there is 1 at top and bottom. The front calipers have clips that are different on the top.)

8) Cleaning. Use the wire brush and spray to vigorously clean the calipers. This will take a lot of time. Be careful not puncture or damage the rubber gaskets or seals.
9) (Optional) On the front caliper (with the pots) use a dremel or sand paper to sand down the front facing ridge. You can remove other casting marks this way (I think they are cast). The rear pots do not need this as they are fairly smooth.

10) Clean again.
11) Mask the rubber and any smooth parts metallic parts (such as screw holes and the brake line hole)

12) If I could do this again I would prime the surface white.
13) Mix activator and epoxy, wait 5 minutes.
14) Apply even coats, try not to put really thick coats on as it will run and drip. If it does drip and dries you can shave it off with a razor. I applied 6 coats on the most visible areas and 3 on the not so visible area. I also used 2 G2 kits. I think if I would have primed only one would have been needed.
Note: Masking and Painting took by far the most time.

15) Let dry for at least a day (You could probably bake them @200 for a half hour as well without damaging the rubber).
16) Remove masking
17) Reassemble caliper including pads. On the front calipers there is a metal clip that has "wings"--this will go in the upward facing direction. There is a tab on the pad that will rub on this and act like a spring (sort of). Up is always the direction of the bleeder valve. Make sure you cleaned these as well.
18) Place caliper back on the rotor and bolt back on.

19) Reattach brake line (12mm) -- leave pinch clamp on until you are ready to bleed the brakes.
20) Bleed the brakes one at a time. I used 1/2 in vinyl tubing to attach to the bleeder valve and ATE Super Blue Brake fluid. From tight, loosen the valve 1/2-1 turn. I flushed the brakes completely and pumped until the fluid turned blue (and there are no air bubbles).

21) I have decals on order, they may look like crap but I'll post pics if they look good.

Feel free to let me know if something is incorrect, needs further explanation, or could be done a better way.

Final Pics:

Last edited by olorin; 02-05-2013 at 03:06 PM.
olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to olorin For This Useful Post:
Choco (01-21-2015), Draco_PR23 (02-08-2013), Drebin252 (04-12-2014), kludger (02-06-2013), SkAsphalt (04-07-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #2
markmatley
Shipping to Hawaii?...

Drives: '13 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Nice I was going to do this with high heat spray paint minus the epoxy brush painting, because brushes and I do not get along...when paint is involved. =P

Great color for your aquamarine!
Old 02-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
Asphaltfrs1

Drives: 2013 asphalt fr-s
I had just told my gf that painted calipers look tacky, unless done right. Gotta admit yours look awesome, didn't think they would look this good.
Asphaltfrs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Asphaltfrs1 For This Useful Post:
olorin (02-09-2013)
Old 02-09-2013, 02:10 PM   #4
olorin

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmatley View Post
Nice I was going to do this with high heat spray paint minus the epoxy brush painting, because brushes and I do not get along...when paint is involved. =P

Great color for your aquamarine!

Galaxy Blue Silica - Its a Subaru

I had my doubts about painting, I saw a lot of crappy pictures; but the epoxy paint it is fairly thick, levels during drying, and is really glossy.

After applying a few coats I tried to use a Preval spray kit but it was too thick. It may have worked if I thinned it with lacquer thiner, but I didn't try this as I was on a time crunch.

I would definitely apply a high temp primer before applying the epoxy if I had to do it again.
olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:31 AM   #5
KriSD21

Drives: Ultramarine Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
First thought: Go Chargers!
KriSD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #6
markmatley
Shipping to Hawaii?...

Drives: '13 Asphalt FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by olorin View Post

I had my doubts about painting, I saw a lot of crappy pictures; but the epoxy paint it is fairly thick, levels during drying, and is really glossy.

After applying a few coats I tried to use a Preval spray kit but it was too thick. It may have worked if I thinned it with lacquer thiner, but I didn't try this as I was on a time crunch.

I would definitely apply a high temp primer before applying the epoxy if I had to do it again.
I just realized it was a BRZ...Bwahahaha! My bad!
Old 02-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #7
NemeGuero
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Surprisingly good looking. Shoulda done gold though IMO.
NemeGuero is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NemeGuero For This Useful Post:
olorin (02-11-2013)
Old 03-30-2014, 10:34 PM   #8
2014BRZ_kcrow

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited SSM
Quote:

Olorin, this may sound like a dumb question, but I have to ask....was GBS the only Blue color you could get a BRZ in last year? I'm wondering bc I just bought my 2014 in Sterling Silver Metallic but when I looked at the blue BRZ's the only color blue I saw was WR Blue Pearl. I wanted a blue BRZ but they are rare in Texas (or so the dealer says), so I settled for my second favorite color....Silver.
2014BRZ_kcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2014BRZ_kcrow For This Useful Post:
olorin (03-31-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 02:59 PM   #9
olorin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014BRZ_kcrow View Post
Olorin, this may sound like a dumb question, but I have to ask....was GBS the only Blue color you could get a BRZ in last year? I'm wondering bc I just bought my 2014 in Sterling Silver Metallic but when I looked at the blue BRZ's the only color blue I saw was WR Blue Pearl. I wanted a blue BRZ but they are rare in Texas (or so the dealer says), so I settled for my second favorite color....Silver.
You can only get a GBS for the 2013 model year, they discontinued it for 2014. Not to rub salt in the wound, but GBS looks amazing.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:12 AM   #10
2014BRZ_kcrow

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited SSM
Quote:
You can only get a GBS for the 2013 model year, they discontinued it for 2014. Not to rub salt in the wound, but GBS looks amazing.
Oh no doubt. I like the WR Blue, it's a traditional Subaru Color....but the pics you posted of your car, I can see the metallic flakes in the GBS paint, and that to me, makes it look REALLY amazing! I enjoy a good paint job with metallic flakes that sparkle in the sun like your car is doing in the pics above. I had not seen a GBS BRZ until I ran across this thread and saw yours. It is truly a beautiful car!
2014BRZ_kcrow is offline   Reply With Quote