follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 12-14-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Drives: 2014 Honda CBR600RR
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
May Give Up FR-S For Karting

Hello FT86Club,

As some of you may know, I've been tracking my own personal car(s) for the past 3 years now... And I just recently completed my 6th two-day DE event with the FR-S (approximately 28-30+ two-day events overall).

And now I've come to the point of questioning myself.

Yes, I've gained some solid knowledge and experience to become a much better driver with the help of my DE organization(s) / Instructors. And I have no regrets for all the time and money I've given up for this particular hobby and its benefits / enjoyment.

Truth is, I'm starting to feel that tracking one's own personal car on a consistent basis may likely be a rich man's hobby and pastime. Maintaining the car and always owning up to covering parts that may break and cost a fortune... Unfortunately, I don't have the knowledge or motivation to do some of the more technical labor to keep up with the car, and no telling how much stress I'd have to take on if I'd even purchase a cheap beater (or an older Miata). And then my heart would desire to get into racing, which could again take some good money.

I try to be modest about this fact, but I tend to be a highly competitive individual... Although I've struggled in accomplishing many dreams from the past.

I love driving my own sports car enthusiastically from the last several years, but it no longer makes sense for me financially and mentally to keep up with... This is why I'm considering Karting.

Perhaps some of you guys have some (or lots) of good experience with Karting, and you can clearly see my lack of awareness and experience of what I'm getting myself into. Therefore, I hope you all specifically could give me some further direction and pointers.

I've done some research (and will continue to do so) regarding this specific hobby... I have currently scheduled myself to meet up with a veteran of the Karting sport, and will also take a test ride to make sure this is something for me.

If it all works out, I will be giving up my DE track hobby with my own personal sports car, and will also give up my FR-S in order to put my complete mental and financial focus on Karting and quite possibly, getting into racing with it.

Thank you in advance for all comments, pointers, and advice.

Texas FR-S

Texas BRZ

Last edited by Texas BRZ; 12-14-2012 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Grammar edit.
Texas BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Texas BRZ For This Useful Post:
Guff (12-14-2012)
Old 12-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
microbionic

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You cant go pick up the hot babes in a Kart.
microbionic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to microbionic For This Useful Post:
dori. (12-17-2012)
Old 12-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbionic View Post
You cant go pick up the hot babes in a Kart.
Haha... Already have the wife. Thankfully, she's supportive of the idea.

Will trade-in the FR-S for an SUV for her, maybe that's why she's okay with the plan...

(If all goes accordingly and I'm happy with Karting)

Texas BRZ
Old 12-14-2012, 11:00 AM   #4
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
I like karting, but it got old. Maybe it was really just the old guy getting old behind the wheel though. I used to borrow friends karts and/or rent, never owned one.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,840 Times in 1,631 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Hope you dont take a beating on the resale.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
LSxJunkie
Douchebag

Drives: 2014 Mustang GT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
How old are you? Karting is generally for the young. The very young. With rich parents.
The Following User Says Thank You to LSxJunkie For This Useful Post:
dem00n (12-17-2012)
Old 12-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #7
diirk

Drives: Audi S5
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I would suggest trying out karting but holding on to the FRS for the time being, just in case you decide it's not for you. We used to race offroad professionally and yes, racing...any type of racing gets expensive, really fast. And that's not even going into the time involved. That's why we sold our race car qand now I just play around at DE's.

You want to know how to make a little money racing, start with a lot of money.....

Anyhow, try out different things and see what looks like fun. It may be worth it to buy in to a race team. That way you get to race but your level of expense and effort is dramatically reduced.

15 Audi S5 DSG Daytona Grey | Pinnacle Tint
<SOLD>13 SWP BRZ Prem MT
diirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:58 AM   #8
iLuveKetchup
My VTEC fluid is full

Drives: EFF JAY
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Karting (organized racing) can be just as expensive/more than HPDE. And it will be even more competitive, as it is racing not open laps at a track. I would most definitely chose karting over track days (even time trials), but the logistics of karting doesn't make sense for me at this point (no room to store the kart, tow vehicle, & trailer). Just be prepared to be schooled by 80lbs 10yr kids.
iLuveKetchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #9
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
This might not make sense but I can't help but wonder if it would really be that much less costly as you sharpen your skills and your wants for better and improved equipment. I know it sounds silly to compare but I think back to the '60s when I was very heavy into organized slot car racing. The costs were no where near what they would be for a cart or an automobile but for the cost of playing with slot cars the cost was astronomical and there was always something else to try and that something else always required money. Luckily my local shop was my sponsor.

I don't care what a persons interest/hobby might be. Archery, small bore rifle, whatever, the better you get and especially if you want to be the best it's going to cost big bucks.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to whaap For This Useful Post:
Guff (12-14-2012)
Old 12-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #10
Cjm005

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Personally, I think you should stick with the car but have no karting experience. All hobbies are expensive depending how far you take it. But you only get one go-around.
Cjm005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #11
TouchMyHonda
Vtec Jesus

Drives: 13 BRZ, 13 Golf R, 15 Audi S4
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Just as expensive, and you cant use the kart on the street. Just stick with what you have and don't completely punish your engine. Shift earlier, upgrade your brakes to something far better so they last longer and do a better job. Also, do an oil change before every track event and possible even after. That will help keep fresh oil viscosity and help with keeping wear under control.

Tires will / should be your most expensive cost. The car should take lots of track miles with out much problem. Longevity all depends on how well you can drive the car, and how smoothly. Consequently making you a faster driver as well. Some people I know have been tracking on one motor for years as well as using the car on the street.

I also feel that the money you will lose on a resale will be far greater than matinee cost for the occasional track day's u will attend for the next year or two. I guess that all depends on what you are doing exactly.
TouchMyHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #12
ft86Fan

Drives: FR-S, Exige S, Miata
Unfortunately if you like to drive, its going to be expensive. Karting is fun but different than cars. The cheapest way is still getting something like an old Miata that is track prepped and do HPDE.
ft86Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:06 PM   #13
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Karting is expensive. Its going to cost you 4000-5000 for a good used TAG or Rotax may or may not have Micron. Two sets of tires for a race weekend to be competitive, at $400. Fees, kart stands, storage transport, brakes, tuning, engine rebuilds spare parts etc.

If you can get over the cost, karting depending on the track is amazing if you love wheel to wheel competition. I love it and its much more physical and difficult to be fast in a kart than car. Also you can get a lot more seat time and become a better driver in a shorter period of time.

I can bet that maybe 1 out of 5000 people on this web site are actually going to wheel to wheel race an FR-S in a competitive manner. Most people who are going to drive a car competitively are going to start in spec miata or SRF anyway thats where the competition is.

The FR-S/BRZ is a just a fun, sporty car for daily driving. It's a turd on the track in stock form. Just have to figure out where you want your money spent.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:46 PM   #14
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Thank you all for posting your honest feedback and opinions... It gives me a more proper insight on what I'm thinking of before trying to jump in completely.

I'm going to meet a few folks in person at a local Karting track (with their Karts) this Saturday and acquire additional information so I can be realistic with myself.

LSxJunkie: I'll be 27 years old in a few more days. Married and have two kids, so that should magically add a few more years on me.

Texas BRZ