follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook. Interested in the FT-1? Check out FT1Club
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Phase 2 Motortrend
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-29-2011, 02:25 PM   #307
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post
yep i still had to do it!

You taunt the newbs and trolls, they all come out and attack like zombie apocalypse ..so watch it!
I was just hoping someone would bust out the seagul turbo pic.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:40 PM   #308
Want.FR-S

Drives: 4 Wheels Auto
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
Could be his translator girl, too. I do conversational English language instruction once a week here with Japanese ESL students.

What I've learned:

A) Japanese women have little interest in automotive stuff. (Everyone's shocked, I know...)

B) Technical stuff doesn't translate easily.

C) Japanese don't often stop me and ask for clarifications, usually just nod and agree when they don't understand something I say. I have to catch that they are not getting something myself, and back up.

So put A + B + C and you don't have the best starting point for a good translation about cars, especially for a super-pumped, hyper-stimulated car fan.

It's also possible his translator was having difficulty keeping up. So the info may have been 'lagging'. There were LFA's there, and they may have been talking about them or the tech. Maybe some comparisons between both, and the translator couldn't keep up, or mixed up some info.

I don't think it was deliberate.
Dimman, I concurred on what you said about Japanese ESL students. Heck, I think the same can be applied to eastern Asian (Japanese, Kor,ean Chinese) ESL student. It is very common like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
It's possible; we'll likely never know for sure if the info was intentionally misleading or if it was simply a language translation misstep. Over time, the actual production info will be known.
That said, I think IIRC Leeky did said that he talked directly to the head of advertising from Toyota (the last picture shown with two guys stand beside him with Mt. Fuji as the background) without using the translator. As per Leeky, he said his translator has done her best to translate his conversation, but for the info about *1000 unit/year* and "handmade* or *LF-A transmission*, I think Leeky got it directly from those two guys, and even Leeky was correcting the mistake those two people said about LF-A has a V-8 (V-10 is the correct answer).

Poor Leeky is just scapegoated by more season journalists. There is no need to judge his intelligence just because he passed something he heard from the people at scene.
Want.FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:50 PM   #309
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: 95 M3, 13 BRZ-L, 00 GS-R, 96 Teg
Thanked 4,274 Times in 1,918 Posts
Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
FYI Leeky is NOT a journalist. He's a tourist that won a trip from Toyota and is passing along what they told him. Everyone who is attacking him are the ones looking like idiots.
DD: 1995 BMW M3 || Tow Vehicle: 2005 Suburban 2500 || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 2000 Integra GS-R || Race car: 1996 Integra something or the other

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:58 PM   #310
Want.FR-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
FYI Leeky is NOT a journalist. He's a tourist that won a trip from Toyota and is passing along what they told him. Everyone who is attacking him are the ones looking like idiots.
Well said, Dave. Leeky is not a journalist so we should not put the same standard onto him about double-checking his source before publishing.

Having said that, I was in awe to see TTAC uses this thread and publish it as a news on their website. Although this is not the first time that this forum has generated some *news*, but I was just smiling about this. Since when journalists care about what we said on the forum?

What is fair to said right now is that the spokeman of TMC said there is no production limit, and Mr. Tada did not, or may not, reveal the production target of this car in Tokyo Motor Show. That does not mean that Toyota do not want to sell GT 86 or Scion FR-S to us. Yes, with the right pricing, we can get it freely, but we might need to wait a bit because of production issue. IMHO that is the idea that Mr. Tada san is trying to convey. He just needs to be careful not to overdone the expectation and not meeting that.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:59 PM   #311
Dark
Motoring Jedi

Drives: Lexus IS250 AWD, Subaru WRX Limited
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Chill out everyone. We will have more information this evening.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:59 PM   #312
DA1

Drives: Accord Euro
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Good News

I wish they told us sooner ,last night i went through the garbage bins of the Australian CEO of Toyota. I figured i needed some dirt on him so I could go to the top of the list. (Sorry about the mess, SLEEP WELL TONIGHT!)
DA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:05 PM   #313
Hachiroku
Administrator

Drives: Boxster 986
Thanked 1,804 Times in 304 Posts
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want.FR-S View Post
What is fair to said right now is that the spokeman of TMC said there is no production limit, and Mr. Tada did not, or may not, reveal the production target of this car in Tokyo Motor Show.
Exactly. And I doubt anything will be announced officially in a few hours at the reveals regarding any production limit (whether there is or isn't one).
Hachiroku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:08 PM   #314
Hachiroku
Administrator

Drives: Boxster 986
Thanked 1,804 Times in 304 Posts
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
OK. Enough with the discussions on journalism and anything personal.

Discuss and speculate on the info passed along, or move along to the next thread.
Hachiroku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #315
Want.FR-S

Here is an idea to see if people would think about this: what if Toyoda could not meet the initial demand of this car and people have to wait for a period of time to fulfill their orders. Would you be willing to wait for it?
Old 11-29-2011, 03:16 PM   #316
Spaceywilly
ZC6A2B82KC7J

Drives: 2002 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by spin9k View Post
So the car is really Daihatsu made!?
The article was just saying that Subaru converted its minicar plant in Gunma to produce the 86, and in exchange Daihatsu, owned by Toyota, now produces a minicar for Subaru. It wouldn't make sense for Subaru to give up their 80,000 car a year minicar business for 3000 cars a year.

I don't think the journalist was trying to slam Leeky or this forum, just trying to set the record straight.

Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers.
Spaceywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:21 PM   #317
ryude

Drives: Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
Here is an idea to see if people would think about this: what if Toyoda could not meet the initial demand of this car and people have to wait for a period of time to fulfill their orders. Would you be willing to wait for it?
They had lots of people who pre-ordered the Fiesta and a disaster caused them to be delayed 6 months, yet they were still happy to wait.
ryude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:53 PM   #318
Kostamojen

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Premium GBS
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
TMC said there is no production limit.
I just wanted to make sure everyone sees this...
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:02 PM   #319
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by balance View Post
While I appreciate Leeky's efforts in delivering us with the most updated information from the source itself, he is also at fault for failing to exercise his common sense and titling this thread using the capitalized "FACTS". The notion of 1000 handmade units simply makes no sense whatsoever from any kind of business perspectives. If anything, the extent of radical reaction people have shown here to this bogus information only shows how much we already love this new car. It's all good!

Leeky still got immortalized by the internet. Plus he is still the lucky one being there...he just got caught up in the moment...

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...e/#more-420599
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:05 PM   #320
Want.FR-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hachiroku View Post
Exactly. And I doubt anything will be announced officially in a few hours at the reveals regarding any production limit (whether there is or isn't one).
Quote:
What is fair to said right now is that the spokesman of TMC said there is no production limit, and Mr. Tada did not, or may not, reveal the production target of this car in Tokyo Motor Show....
According to TTAC, not from TMC directly in any press release. Take it as how you interpret it.

I just want to clarify it.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:37 PM   #321
PuGZoR
Long time obsessor

Drives: AE86 & depressing SUV
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I think TTAC got it wrong regarding the models. I don't know where I read it exactly but I'm sure it was an official Toyota site... But the cars we're seeing are PRODUCTION prototypes and not pre-production prototypes. Difference is that the former is made using the same dyes and processes for everything as production models, while pre-production prototypes are usually full of 3D printed bits and hand assembled. The production versions should be identical to the cars we've been seeing.
PuGZoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:17 PM   #322
70NYD

Drives: RX8 S1
i dunno if this got sorted already or not, but wrt 1000/year.. perhaps it was 1000 that they made already THIS year for different tuners/tests/shows etc.
fuck, im having a hard time following this. there is SO many posts, i just cant sift through it all. if i am posting something that has been said, i apologize
Old 11-29-2011, 06:20 PM   #323
yayforaddison

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70NYD View Post
i dunno if this got sorted already or not, but wrt 1000/year.. perhaps it was 1000 that they made already THIS year for different tuners/tests/shows etc.
fuck, im having a hard time following this. there is SO many posts, i just cant sift through it all. if i am posting something that has been said, i apologize
Haha I've been in the same boat for a few days now. Luckily I'm off work today and could catch up.

As for the 1,000 made, I was kinda wondering the same thing, and that possibly the hand made part may have something to do with the current ones. Guess we'll just have to wait from here to find out.
yayforaddison is offline   Reply With Quote