follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook. Interested in the FT-1? Check out FT1Club
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
JRP
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 08-30-2011, 07:59 AM   #120
aloretoc

Drives: Subaru WRX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type[R]+ View Post
It looks great, goes great, does everything right......... but it's a Hyundai!
If this was from any of the Japanese manufacturers, it would be 100x better lol!

I'm sure people will get over this stigma in time, but their poor build quality has scarred the minds of everyone.
I feel the same way. Maybe if toyota had released this car instead of hyundai I would have probably given it a good chance. I know it runs fine, it has great features and a great warranty program. But the"its still a hyundai" cant get it of my mind. I can't get pass it.
aloretoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:45 PM   #121
RWDJunkie

Drives: P.O.S.
After looking at the Elantra for a second... I decided to color match the Gen coupe's grill-bar thing too.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:54 PM   #122
82mm 4g63
4G63 & Rotary

Drives: 92TalonAWD, 93RX7, 11F150EcoBoost
Send a message via AIM to 82mm 4g63
Quote:
If this was from any of the Japanese manufacturers, it would be 100x better lol!

I'm sure people will get over this stigma in time, but their poor build quality has scarred the minds of everyone.
I can't knock someone for that, I think that every time we talk about Miata's. lol It's light, it's tiny, it handles great...but it's a Miata. I wonder what we would be saying 30 years ago about the Celica Supra. Looks cool, drives nice...but it's a Jap car? :happy0180:
82mm 4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:39 PM   #123
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,206 Posts
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82mm 4g63 View Post
I can't knock someone for that, I think that every time we talk about Miata's. lol It's light, it's tiny, it handles great...but it's a Miata. I wonder what we would be saying 30 years ago about the Celica Supra. Looks cool, drives nice...but it's a Jap car? :happy0180:
But were the early Japanese cars as horribly unreliable as the early Korean cars?

When I was a kid my family had a 1979 Civic that was incredibly reliable. Southern Ontario winter road salt killed it, though...

I've heard nothing but bad things about Excels, Ponys and SCoupes, etc...

So that's likely where the stigma comes from.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:04 PM   #124
82mm 4g63
4G63 & Rotary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
But were the early Japanese cars as horribly unreliable as the early Korean cars?

When I was a kid my family had a 1979 Civic that was incredibly reliable. Southern Ontario winter road salt killed it, though...

I've heard nothing but bad things about Excels, Ponys and SCoupes, etc...

So that's likely where the stigma comes from.
Good point, I have no idea how the early Japanese cars were (quality wise) in the states in the 70s. I look at Hyundai cars the same way I looked at Samsung electronics. Started off making low-budget electronics that couldn't hold a light to Sony, but after less than a decade of R&D they kick the pants off Sony LCDs. I don't know, I guess I'm sick and tired of the dullness that is Japanese cars and looking for something new.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:45 AM   #125
slusoccer00
S2K TO FT86??

Drives: Honda S2000
Well I've had great experiences with Hyundai.. My whole family has become Hyundai owners.

My wife has a 2011 Black Hyundai Sonata SE (Turbo was released a month afterwards)
My younger sister has a 2011 Sonata
Her boyfriend as well 2011 Sonata
Her boyfriend's mother 2011 Santa Fe
Her boyfriend's step-father 2011 Sonata
My sister-in-law 2011 Santa Fe
My Father had a 2010 Genesis Sedan but traded it in for a 2011 Black Equus (I love that thing) My father-in-law owns an S550 and honestly a few things here and there are different but not to justify the additional 35-40 grand... for example - Passenger Seat Massage, ceiling mirrors for the back seat, adaptive body bolsters, automatic adjustable rear headrest, not much else, maybe a decibel louder for road noise (hell I can hear more road noise from my office compared to the Equus). 0-60 times aren't drastically different besides they are cruisers anyways.

I own an S2000 and have been thinking about getting a GC for my daily driver, just waiting on the new version with the upgraded interior or the FR-S/BRZ, may need more power though for me.

2004 Honda S2000

Last edited by slusoccer00; 09-02-2011 at 09:08 AM.
slusoccer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:06 AM   #126
Type[R]+

Drives: Lexus IS-F
Quote:
lol! I feel the same! You either got to be gay or a girl to drive a miata!
Type[R]+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:12 PM   #127
Allch Chcar
EtOH

Drives: '15 Deep Blue Mazda3 i Sport (2.OL)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloretoc View Post
I feel the same way. Maybe if toyota had released this car instead of hyundai I would have probably given it a good chance. I know it runs fine, it has great features and a great warranty program. But the"its still a hyundai" cant get it of my mind. I can't get pass it.
Quote:
Quote:
lol! I feel the same! You either got to be gay or a girl to drive a miata!
So you prejudge based on stereotypes and can't accept something for what it is based on it's merits?

This people, is called posting excrement...please stop posting it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:31 PM   #128
82mm 4g63
4G63 & Rotary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
So you prejudge based on stereotypes and can't accept something for what it is based on it's merits?

This people, is called posting excrement...please stop posting it here.
IDK who you're asking, but to answer your question: No, I don't prejudge based on stereotypes, I prejudge based on style. In regards to the Miata, it fails to meet my two most important prerequisites... it's a convertible and I don't like it's styling. I respect it's handling ability, but I couldn't care any less about the car as a whole.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:54 PM   #129
blur
ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Drives: E36 5.7 V8
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I dislike the snout. It looked way better before.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:09 PM   #130
Allch Chcar
EtOH

Drives: '15 Deep Blue Mazda3 i Sport (2.OL)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
IDK who you're asking, but to answer your question: No, I don't prejudge based on stereotypes, I prejudge based on style. In regards to the Miata, it fails to meet my two most important prerequisites... it's a convertible and I don't like it's styling. I respect it's handling ability, but I couldn't care any less about the car as a whole.
You are judging the car based simply on how it looks or makes you appear. Not how it performs.

I am not defending the Miata here. I have never driven one .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:43 PM   #131
82mm 4g63
4G63 & Rotary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
You are judging the car based simply on how it looks or makes you appear. Not how it performs.

I am not defending the Miata here. I have never driven one .
If "simply how it looks" is how you want to summarize what I just said, then I guess? I don't have any interest in cars I find ugly. I don't have any interest in convertibles. I also don't pick and choose cars that I like based on stereotypes or on how they make me look, I'm not a woman buying a dress. It's a car. When I step out of it I'm still a fat guy, I am under no delusion that a sexy car makes me sexy just because I own it. (Not unlike the reason I prefer skinny, pretty women over fat, ugly women. I don't really care if you find her attractive, I do. )

Also, I'm not that impressed with the way it performs. I know I've only been around here for a few months, but I thought the majority of people knew where my performance priorities were. I couldn't give two you-know-whats about how well a car takes a turn. I prioritize straight line performance over turning ability. So on a performance level, the Miata does nothing for me either.

TLDR: Miata appearance: Dislike. Miata performance: Dislike. What you(everyone) think of the Miata: I don't care.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:13 PM   #132
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,148 Times in 626 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
If "simply how it looks" is how you want to summarize what I just said, then I guess? I don't have any interest in cars I find ugly. I don't have any interest in convertibles. I also don't pick and choose cars that I like based on stereotypes or on how they make me look, I'm not a woman buying a dress. It's a car. When I step out of it I'm still a fat guy, I am under no delusion that a sexy car makes me sexy just because I own it. (Not unlike the reason I prefer skinny, pretty women over fat, ugly women. I don't really care if you find her attractive, I do. )

Also, I'm not that impressed with the way it performs. I know I've only been around here for a few months, but I thought the majority of people knew where my performance priorities were. I couldn't give two you-know-whats about how well a car takes a turn. I prioritize straight line performance over turning ability. So on a performance level, the Miata does nothing for me either.

TLDR: Miata appearance: Dislike. Miata performance: Dislike. What you(everyone) think of the Miata: I don't care.
so why are you on the ft86 forum? its not going to be a straight line car
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:14 PM   #133
82mm 4g63
4G63 & Rotary

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
so why are you on the ft86 forum? its not going to be a straight line car
Any car can be made into a straight line car.

Also, I'm waiting to see what the final production car looks like. It's not a convertible so if I fall in love with the way it looks I can always make it more powerful. Making it look nicer is a hell of a lot harder.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:39 PM   #134
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,148 Times in 626 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Any car can be made into a straight line car.

Also, I'm waiting to see what the final production car looks like. It's not a convertible so if I fall in love with the way it looks I can always make it more powerful. Making it look nicer is a hell of a lot harder.
im aware of that. there are plenty of people dumping v8s in miatas. i just dont think its fair to knock the miata for not being fast in a straight line and then saying the ft86 is okay because any car can be made into a straight line car.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:44 PM   #135
Kage

Drives: 2000 Celica Gts
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Kage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
im aware of that. there are plenty of people dumping v8s in miatas. i just dont think its fair to knock the miata for not being fast in a straight line and then saying the ft86 is okay because any car can be made into a straight line car.
If that's all he said then your response would be valid, but he specifically said he disliked the way the miata LOOKED, and if the 86 LOOKED good enough it would be worth making it faster.

You can't just respond to half of what someone says and ignore a very relevant half of their argument.
I care first and foremost about what my needs are in the car and not to get "Props" from people. I'm not ricing it out for attention, I'm not flushing it to join a culture, I'm not keeping it stock for resale. I'm making this car for me and me only. And if you're my friend and club members that know me they'll respect that and respect is much better than props.
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:41 PM   #136
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I feel the same way 82mm feels about the miata but I respect its abilities. Just like him also I like the GC and the FRS but I prefer the 3.8l engine to the 2.0t since I don't care about modding. Its nice to see similar tastes on this board!
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote