follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook. Interested in the FT-1? Check out FT1Club
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Racer X Fabrication
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-31-2012, 11:01 AM   #15
gmookher
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Location: HighHeatHighAltitudeAZ,USA
Posts: 2,418
Thanks: 458
Thanked 662 Times in 389 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleekMachine View Post
I installed this like 30 mins ago and I don't like it at all.

The shifter now makes excessive noise - whenever I put it in gear there is now a winding noise. Also, at low rpms you can hear this winding noise. In cabin noise is obnoxiously loud.

When I downshift the winding noise increases significantly and has an extremely large amount of resistance compared to stock; as if I am forcing the gear in. At one point I was worried that I was damaging the gears, so I left it in neutral and braked.

Maybe I'm the only one with this issue, but I'm going to get it removed.

Also, Yes I have it in the correct orientation.
so far sounds like the only one. its a simple install.

post a pic of your install please. that sounds all wrong. Whatever happened i suspect will continue if you reinstall the old part but DO let us know how that goes

something went wrong in your install I think. The part locates the rear end tang in the same location and orientation.
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:35 PM   #16
PERRIN_Chris
FT86Club Official Vendor
 
PERRIN_Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Posts: 890
Thanks: 450
Thanked 520 Times in 306 Posts
Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to PERRIN_Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleekMachine View Post
I installed this like 30 mins ago and I don't like it at all.

The shifter now makes excessive noise - whenever I put it in gear there is now a winding noise. Also, at low rpms you can hear this winding noise. In cabin noise is obnoxiously loud.

When I downshift the winding noise increases significantly and has an extremely large amount of resistance compared to stock; as if I am forcing the gear in. At one point I was worried that I was damaging the gears, so I left it in neutral and braked.

Maybe I'm the only one with this issue, but I'm going to get it removed.

Also, Yes I have it in the correct orientation.

Sorry about that, it sounds like something is off for sure. There will be a little more vibration, but it's far from being obnoxious or loud.

One thing we'd like you to check is the metal sleeve inserts in the bushing. Do they seem like they're longer than the bushing? If it's not that, maybe something wasn't tightened up?
__________________
PERRIN_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:38 PM   #17
SleekMachine
Member
 
SleekMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: Whiteout
Location: SoCal
Posts: 77
Thanks: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panman View Post
Did you support the gearbox with a jack/lift during install?
Are you sure the driveshaft/propshaft was bolted back in correctly?

This sounds nothing like a bushing issue - I'd get a professional to check it ASAp
I did the whiteline kit at the same time and I assure you that it was supported and everything was bolted back. My friend owns a shop we did it together, trust.
SleekMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:40 PM   #18
SleekMachine
Member
 
SleekMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: Whiteout
Location: SoCal
Posts: 77
Thanks: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmookher View Post
so far sounds like the only one. its a simple install.

post a pic of your install please. that sounds all wrong. Whatever happened i suspect will continue if you reinstall the old part but DO let us know how that goes

something went wrong in your install I think. The part locates the rear end tang in the same location and orientation.
Like you said simple install, could not be simpler. The only hard part is when working on the floor without a lift. As I said before, the orientation is correct.

The orientation is the same as the second to last picture from op, where the bushing mountain is on top and the bulge is facing the gearbox.
SleekMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:41 PM   #19
SleekMachine
Member
 
SleekMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: Whiteout
Location: SoCal
Posts: 77
Thanks: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PERRIN_Chris View Post
Sorry about that, it sounds like something is off for sure. There will be a little more vibration, but it's far from being obnoxious or loud.

One thing we'd like you to check is the metal sleeve inserts in the bushing. Do they seem like they're longer than the bushing? If it's not that, maybe something wasn't tightened up?
I'll check the metal sleeves today, prior to installment I believe the sleeves were not longer than the bushing.
SleekMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:05 PM   #20
fl_speed001
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Location: Clermont, FL
Posts: 76
Thanks: 15
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Interesting, first I have heard of this. I have one ready to install when my break in is over and modding begins. Definitely interested to hear how this turns out.
fl_speed001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:22 AM   #21
stevo_12v
Senior Member
 
stevo_12v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: Mazda MX-6 Turbo, Toyota GTS86 37J
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,155
Thanks: 448
Thanked 597 Times in 345 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Hiya!
I'm currently doing the install. I've take out the OEM bushing and I'm about to install the PERRIN bushing.
One question. I undid the clamps that were holding the drive shaft, but when I undid them the driveshaft went down towards me about 4-5inches(it did not fall completely) and I heard a kind of vacuum sound. The shaft probably went out about 3-4 inches but I managed to catch it before it came out completely. Would there be any problem with that?(im a newbie)
__________________

Build thread . . . . Media: 7-Tune: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7,Tuned
stevo_12v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:34 AM   #22
SleekMachine
Member
 
SleekMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: Whiteout
Location: SoCal
Posts: 77
Thanks: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Checked the sleeves and they are fine, everything is fine. I went down under to do an engine, trans, diff fluid change. After the fluid change the shifting felt a lot smoother, but still pretty notchy on 5th and 6th gear. Also, the noise level did go down, but it's still louder than stock.
SleekMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SleekMachine For This Useful Post:
vignesh (12-19-2013)
Old 11-01-2012, 07:29 AM   #23
F1point4
Photo Specialist
 
F1point4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 DGM 6MT
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,168
Thanks: 587
Thanked 1,616 Times in 414 Posts
Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo_12v View Post
Hiya!
I'm currently doing the install. I've take out the OEM bushing and I'm about to install the PERRIN bushing.
One question. I undid the clamps that were holding the drive shaft, but when I undid them the driveshaft went down towards me about 4-5inches(it did not fall completely) and I heard a kind of vacuum sound. The shaft probably went out about 3-4 inches but I managed to catch it before it came out completely. Would there be any problem with that?(im a newbie)
The drive shaft connects to the gearbox and diff mechanically so that vacuum like noise shouldn't be because of that. Are you saying your shaft came out like detached? Ours was able to fall a few inches and sit on the exhaust
F1point4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:27 AM   #24
stevo_12v
Senior Member
 
stevo_12v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: Mazda MX-6 Turbo, Toyota GTS86 37J
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,155
Thanks: 448
Thanked 597 Times in 345 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
The shaft came out, probably a couple inches. The 'bent' part of the shaft went down about the same level as the exhaust, it didn't fall out though. I put it back in and finished the Perrin/Cusco install I just did, no CEL lights and no drips. I hope everything is A-OK.
__________________

Build thread . . . . Media: 7-Tune: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7,Tuned
stevo_12v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #25
twodollarcuts
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 20
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Let us know how that goes. I'm thinking about installing one myself.
twodollarcuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #26
stevo_12v
Senior Member
 
stevo_12v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: Mazda MX-6 Turbo, Toyota GTS86 37J
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,155
Thanks: 448
Thanked 597 Times in 345 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
It's pretty good mod. Shifts are real nice and smooth, less 'lurch'.
__________________

Build thread . . . . Media: 7-Tune: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7,Tuned
stevo_12v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #27
SportInjected
Senior Member
 
SportInjected's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: for the sake of driving
Location: Windy City
Posts: 538
Thanks: 249
Thanked 137 Times in 112 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Installed it yesterday along with the whiteline insert, but didn't notice any real difference from stock as far as shifting goes...
__________________
'13 Argento FR-S
SportInjected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #28
gmookher
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Location: HighHeatHighAltitudeAZ,USA
Posts: 2,418
Thanks: 458
Thanked 662 Times in 389 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportInjected View Post
Installed it yesterday along with the whiteline insert, but didn't notice any real difference from stock as far as shifting goes...
I guess we are all sensitive to a different level. Both wife and I noted a post install improvement.
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gmookher For This Useful Post:
rene0023 (10-03-2013)
 
Reply

Tags
diy, perrin, rear shifter bushing

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Installed Perrin shifter bushing & Fumoto oil drain valve zooki Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 23 03-31-2013 05:18 PM
PERRIN Rear Shifter Bushing **Now Available** PERRIN Transmission and Driveline 19 10-12-2012 08:21 PM
Does the STI Rear Shifter Bushing fit the BRZ/FRS? Hanakuso Suspension | Chassis | Brakes 2 08-27-2012 03:48 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.