follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List
gmookher

Old 11-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #141
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
Gem,
Have you tried the Torco MTF or RTF yet?
Rice,

Torco MTF has a Viscosity = 8.35
I'm aiming for 7.x

that said Torco is reeeeeeeaaallllly good stuff. if youre planning on trying its you certainly have my blessing- its close enough, and I see its half the cost, and report back to us with your findings, but I would then ask you to TRY The pentosin, which is a little thinner still. I'd bet you liked it better in here. Its closer than pennzoil...

I would use it all day anywhere else indeed. Similarly, porsche folk swear by swepco201, but again, way too thick for our aisin.
Attached Images

Last edited by gmookher; 11-05-2012 at 04:15 PM.
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #142
Marrk

Drives: Honda Fit
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmookher View Post
Rice,

Torco MTF has a Viscosity = 8.35
I'm aiming for 7.x.

Sorry if I missed this earlier in the thread, but how did you come to decide you wanted 7.x?
Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #143
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
All my Honda's with 6 Speed manuals had the flakiest transmissions. Civic, S2000, Accord. Before they had the 3rd gear TSB for almost ever vehicle I ran GM Synchromesh in all of the cars and NEVER had an issue except in the S2000 on very hot days.

I believe that the right fluid can not only mask mechanical issues or defects, but is also critical protection for certain conditions.

The FRS/BRZ trans is clearly another case where in cold temps the OEM fluid is not working properly.

Ordered 3 QTs of Pent as recommended here: $84.98 Shipped. It's a bit expensive, but not being able to use second gear for 20 minutes without a grind in the winter will be worth it. I just hope the fluid holds up to 30k miles.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...35i&vi=1445226
Old 11-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #144
Future

Drives: BRZ!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
All my Honda's with 6 Speed manuals had the flakiest transmissions. Civic, S2000, Accord. Before they had the 3rd gear TSB for almost ever vehicle I ran GM Synchromesh in all of the cars and NEVER had an issue except in the S2000 on very hot days.

I believe that the right fluid can not only mask mechanical issues or defects, but is also critical protection for certain conditions.

The FRS/BRZ trans is clearly another case where in cold temps the OEM fluid is not working properly.

Ordered 3 QTs of Pent as recommended here: $84.98 Shipped. It's a bit expensive, but not being able to use second gear for 20 minutes without a grind in the winter will be worth it. I just hope the fluid holds up to 30k miles.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...35i&vi=1445226
dude, its 62.64$ free shipping on the link in the first post
Old 11-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #145
Dezoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future View Post
dude, its 62.64$ free shipping on the link in the first post
I had a 30$ coupon.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #146
zoomzoomers

Drives: 2013 Subaru SWP BRZ Limited 6AT
So I'm starting to side on changing out my AT trans fluid and the diff fluid. I have a few questions:

1. What's good for AT's? I've been looking at Royal Purple for the AT trans fluid and the diff fluid. Can anyone recommend the stuff?

2. How many quarts are needed for the AT?

3. How many quarts are needed for the diff?

Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
zoomzoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #147
gmookher
Banned

nothing to be gained with an ATF change, waste of money

Motul 300 your diff tho forget whether it was 1.8L or 2.2L, I got three litres incase I spilled some etc...
The Following User Says Thank You to gmookher For This Useful Post:
zoomzoomers (11-05-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 06:57 AM   #148
roddy

Drives: '13 Ultramarine
Thanked 1,165 Times in 685 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
The rear diff fill is 1.2L. With such a small capacity, I plan on changing it once a year, which for me is ~20,000 miles. If I track the car, I'll change it more often.

The Pentosin... What can I say... I'm impressed. It is hard to believe "JUST another 75W-80 oil" would feel that much different. It was noticeably more smooth right from the start. The 1-2 shift feels better even at 20 degrees F, the 2-3 catch is gone, and the first 4-3 downshift is what really caught my attention. Nice. I have about 100 miles of mixed country roads and in town driving, and it continues to get better.

Gem's first post on this fluid caught my attention, but I have a hard time believing in such things just because someone on the internet says it works (sorry Gem...nothing personal). I had MT-90 in there already, and was perfectly happy with it until the temperatures started to approach freezing in the mornings. I didn't want to spend $100 on 3 liters of trans fluid just to find out if a thinner oil would help, so I mixed up some stuff that I had on the shelf (1qt Redline MTL, 1L Honda MTF, and topped up with Amsoil synchromesh). This was only done as an experiment to confirm my suspicion that a lighter weight would improve cold weather feel... I did not intend to leave it in there as a solution. The mix made a big difference in cold performance, but the 3rd gear catch that I had with the OE fluid came back. So far, Pentosin seems to have cured the problem. Shifts are as effortless (or better) as with the mix, and as quiet and catch free as with the MT-90.

Pentosin is not cheap (3L cost me $108 with tax), but I really think this is a perfect example of getting what you pay for. After seeing the results with this car, I will be adding Pentosin to the transmission in my Mustang as well.

Thanks Gem.
Future (11-08-2012), normancw (11-08-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 08:43 AM   #149
gmookher
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
Shifts are as effortless (or better)
Thanks Gem.
:happy0180:

Roddy, PM me with year and model of Mustang before you go tossing this in there, please. I will see if this or something else will be the right fluid, tell me do you have any cold shift issues on that mustang in your climate too?

That said, I dont know who he is, never met him and have not paid him off to make me look good on this forum, ya know?
Thanks for the review, bro. Glad Pentosin been working for you, too. if you understand how a synchro works, its pretty basic engineering stuff thats being dispensed. Yes, track tested by me personally too.

ENJOY!!!!

Last edited by gmookher; 11-07-2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #150
Neziah

Drives: 2013 HotLava FRS, 2005 Legacy
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I tried to find some local, but not having any luck., cheapest I can find online is from http://store.propartsusa.com/pentosi.../i-543929.aspx

There has to be someone in Portland that has it, just finding it is the trick. lol The cold weather is making my tranny into a jekyll and hyde. >< Time to change it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Neziah For This Useful Post:
ft86Fan (11-07-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #151
Dezoris

I have it and will swap tomorrow and report back.
Do I need to change the drain plug washer on the diff?
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #152
ft86Fan

Drives: FR-S, Exige S, Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
I have it and will swap tomorrow and report back.
Do I need to change the drain plug washer on the diff?
I would at least change the drain. I changed my drain but reused the fill.
ft86Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:09 PM   #153
roddy

Drives: '13 Ultramarine
Thanked 1,165 Times in 685 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
You should change the washer if you can, but I wouldn't sweat it if you can't. I didn't have the right size (I thought I did) when I changed mine, so I reused the original. I haven't had any leaks.

Interesting side note to this question... I recently ordered all new drain/fill plug gaskets from my dealer for the engine, transmission, and rear end, and the only one that was the same as O.E. was the one for the trans drain plug. All the others were the thin steel "crush" washers like the one for the engine drain plug...weird. The O.E. ones (except for the engine) were all the thick aluminum type. I much prefer the aluminum ones, and in a pinch, I wouldn't hesitate to reuse one.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #154
scioneric

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Can't believe the result, I work in Scion and has to pick up some FR-S from our compound once a while. Last week I pick up one of my customer's car and the shifting is day and night! I felt difficult to switch between 1 and 2 or from 5 to 4. I really enjoy mine!
scioneric is offline   Reply With Quote