follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 08-03-2017, 03:07 PM   #1
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
DIY Shorai Battery Cradle Cage Holder Mount Home Depot $20

Here is a Cradle to hold The Shorai LFX36L3-BS12 which is one of the larger batterys that should have better juice for DDing. Nothing stock on the car is modified so putting a stock battery in for winter if needed is easy.

Tools needed:
Some form of cutoff wheel
Drill or Drill press
Hand tools to take out and in battery

I always start by weighing everything for now on.

Stock 2017 battery 29.25 lbs

Shorai 4.75 with terminals added

The 3 main parts from homedepot found somewhere near the lumber. The top piece has legs that will need to be cut off, the 2 side pieces you just cut off one side then mount them both to the top part

Here is the Part# for the Base cage

Here is the part #for the 2 side cages

Here is the battery sitting in the base cage once the legs are cut off you can see only about 1/4" of space will be a snug fit once the Shorai foam is added

Here is the cage built just used some basic bolts with lock washers nothing fancy here only about 1.3lbs gain

HEre is the battery sitting in the cage on the scale
We will call this 6lbs total for a 23lb LOSS!

Cage will be mounted directly to this bracket, 2 10mm bolts.

Added some leftover heat shield I had while I was waiting for paint to dry.

The holes already premade on the cage were nearly a perfect line up to the cars bracket. I didn't not plan for this but the car gods where in my favor. Also did a little high heat red paint

Cage Mounted in the car and also added the foam to the insides.

Battery mounted with stock bar tie. With the cage its only job now is to hold down instead of laterally. Also used the provided Shorai mount extenders to push the terminals up and to the side which will make the dimensions closer to stock when trying to attach the wires.

Everything mounted Final pic. Plenty of room around the battery to breathe, Playas need their space!

I have honored the weight reduction gods today with a 23lb saving off the front of the car with a ultra sturdy setup for track days!
ApexEight (12-29-2017), B T (10-10-2018), BaatLuk (08-06-2017), BigHugeFatGuy (08-26-2017), BirdTRD (08-26-2017), chaoskaze (12-29-2017), Clipdat (08-26-2017), DeshuL (08-29-2017), fminicooper (01-23-2020), gkubed (04-01-2019), MJones_RB (08-04-2017), Stonehorsw (04-17-2023), TheBoss77 (03-23-2023)
Old 08-04-2017, 02:23 PM   #2
MJones_RB

Drives: Scion FR-S Series 10 #2462
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Great job! Perfect fit.
MJones_RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:45 PM   #3
SuperTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJones_RB View Post
Great job! Perfect fit.
Thanks I took the battery with me into the store and just starting testing things that would work. Cheap, easy to build, lightweight, solid, no brainer if your going with one of these battery.

Here is a side pic
Old 08-26-2017, 04:34 PM   #4
BigHugeFatGuy

Drives: 2016 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
What's the heat shield stuff? Seems like that would be a good idea even for stock....
BigHugeFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 04:40 PM   #5
SuperTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHugeFatGuy View Post
What's the heat shield stuff? Seems like that would be a good idea even for stock....

basically a roll with flexible fiberglass on one side and reflective on the front side and sticks on. http://www.ebay.com/itm/FREE-2-DAY-S...72.m2749.l2649

Had some leftover when I coated the oil pan while doing headers. These batterys are more sensitive to temp extremes. Will help a lot in the heat, maybe even serve as a blanket in the cold.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:43 PM   #6
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Awesome job! Now make me one plz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 05:03 PM   #7
SuperTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
Awesome job! Now make me one plz.

Ha it would probably cost more to ship it to you than build it. If you are serious just take those part #'s into home depot. You will see how its comes together when they are in your hands.
SuperTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 03:02 PM   #8
SuperTom

Heres my latest DIY for you guys a rear seat delete
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121565
Old 08-29-2017, 09:46 AM   #9
DeshuL

Drives: RS 2.0
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Awesome, thank you for this, I'm totally copying it!
SuperTom (08-29-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 11:32 AM   #10
SuperTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeshuL View Post
Awesome, thank you for this, I'm totally copying it!
Thanks just remember this is for the Shorai LFX36L3-BS12 model. Some people use a smaller Shorai which would need different parts to make.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:25 PM   #11
jeepmor

Drives: 84 CJ7, 08 Duramax, 2014 FRS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Is it holding up to your winter weather? I just got a "dead cell" report on my stock battery yesterday and figured I'd look for lighter options. I'm seeing a lot of them on here, but it seems the guys using them are in SoCal with that mild weather or they're using something so small it just won't work for my DD needs in my location.

I'm in Oregon's Portland metro area. Not bitter cold, but it has been freezing overnight lately.
So far, I'm leaning to an Odyssey PC925. It shaves a few pounds but, I like the idea of cutting the weight in half, but the Odyssey PC680 seems a bit too small

I like AGM batteries and have had several Optima redtops over the years in my jeep. And one Yellowtop, I avoid these now, that thing was terrible for me and always went dead.
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:26 AM   #12
SuperTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmor View Post
Is it holding up to your winter weather? I just got a "dead cell" report on my stock battery yesterday and figured I'd look for lighter options. I'm seeing a lot of them on here, but it seems the guys using them are in SoCal with that mild weather or they're using something so small it just won't work for my DD needs in my location.

I'm in Oregon's Portland metro area. Not bitter cold, but it has been freezing overnight lately.
So far, I'm leaning to an Odyssey PC925. It shaves a few pounds but, I like the idea of cutting the weight in half, but the Odyssey PC680 seems a bit too small

I like AGM batteries and have had several Optima redtops over the years in my jeep. And one Yellowtop, I avoid these now, that thing was terrible for me and always went dead.

Well my brake line broke in my Cherokee. So I put the stock battery back in as this is going to be my DD for a while. Put Shorai on a tiny Harbor Frieght charger. Thankfully with my setup pulling the cradle back out was easy.
SuperTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:43 AM   #13
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTom View Post
Well my brake line broke in my Cherokee. So I put the stock battery back in as this is going to be my DD for a while. Put Shorai on a tiny Harbor Frieght charger. Thankfully with my setup pulling the cradle back out was easy.
Highly recommend a Shorai tender... It manages individual cells. Less fire risk.

Also, never had issues in winter, though I don't drive a lot and always use the tender in the garage.

Nice DIY.
ROFL it's Waffle (01-21-2020)
Old 12-28-2017, 07:24 PM   #14
jeepmor

Drives: 84 CJ7, 08 Duramax, 2014 FRS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I sent Shorai a note and they basically advised me against it.

Quote:
Please see the below info on using the LFX for cars:

*** We are actively working on a higher capacity, higher amperage battery for cars and trucks at this time and project its release in 2018.***

Shorai LFX Lithium Batteries: For Use In Cars & Trucks

Although we are aware of the reported success of our LFX batteries in the Acura NSX, Mazda RX7 and Miatas with our current LFX36 series (LFX36L3-BS12 (- +) and the LFX36A3-BS12 (+ -), we cannot officially recommend their use in cars or trucks at this time. The current model of the LFX is designed for use as a powersports (motorcycle, off-road vehicles, ATV, UTV, scooters, personal watercraft) starter battery only. We have conducted sufficient testing to determine that two issues are preventing its use in cars at this time: low capacity, and alternators producing too much voltage/current.

Low Capacity: Lithium Iron Phosphate has 1/3 the actual capacity of the lead acid equivalent and has insufficient capacity reserve for vehicles with considerable accessory load (stereos, alarms, GPS, accessory chargers, air conditioners, etc.) as compared to the charging system output. Accessories are designed to run off the charging system of a vehicle and not the reserve of a battery If your charging system cannot support the standard vehicle operation and the accessories simultaneously, the battery will discharge or run below optimum for sustained periods, resulting in a dead battery or a battery which is being continually damaged. This includes usage of lights and the stereo when the key is off. Also, most vehicles also have parasitic draw for computers, clocks, alarms, etc. which discharge the battery even when not in operation.

High Starter Current Amperage: IMPORTANT: Please be mindful when using batteries for non-approved starting methods such as in larger motors than it was designed for (do not use in vehicles with displacements above 110ci/1802.5cc/1.8L) such is commonly found in cars and trucks. This is usually the biggest barrier in using it for your car. This can cause performance issues and could possibly be dangerous from overcurrent/voltage from the alternator. For custom vehicles, or cars, the starter/ignition should ideally be designed around an amperage draw which is 25% of the CCA and never more than 50% CCA in the LFX battery being utilized. Too much current or voltage from larger motors, or from excessive cranking attempts, can cause catastrophic failure in the form of outgassing and the battery case material melting.

Charging System Output Requirements:

At least 13.1V at idle, although 13.3V is preferable.
13.6V to 14.4V at approximately 2000 rpm
No more than 15.2V at the terminals. Anything over 14.8V can lessen lifespan over time.
The battery shouldn’t be allowed to fall below 12.86V resting voltage (20% capacity remaining), or it can damage the battery and hinder it from holding a charge in the future.
We recommend charging if you see 13.1V, or sooner. Most racecar owners use a cutoff switch to isolate the battery during non-use.

Parallel Usage

I have spoken to a few customers who have used two batteries in parallel, but the charge and discharge cycles left the cells imbalanced. Usually the end cells get the most damage from overcharge/ overcurrent. Using a Balance Charger such as the Shorai SHO-BMS01 can assist in balancing the cells. In addition, you may consider an external balancer and cell checker.

If you decide to go with the battery anyway, please use the attached Troubleshooting guide to prevent a battery failure.

Best Regards,

Marianne Guarena

Customer Service & Warranty Manager

“The World’s Lightest, Longest-Lasting Powersports Batteries”

Shorai, Inc. | T:408-720-8821 | shop@shorai.org | www.shoraipower.com
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote