follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 01-16-2017, 09:50 PM   #1
Brimstone103

Drives: my17 BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
RHD Leather Dash Panel Now Listed

As a new Australian MY17 BRZ Owner, replacing the terrible Audio system is a priority for me.

We get the trapezoidal unit with the gloss black frame so a leather one piece panel replacement has been on my wishlist, finding a RHD version was near impossible until Japan announced their new GT trim was getting it so I've been watching Japanparts.com closely for a new listing.

I finally sent them a request and they were super good at getting back to me, they asked for a photo which I provided from the Subaru.jp page and they just poped up a new listing today

https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/49823

they even used the pic I sent in with a pink square outlining the panel

works out at roughly $150 AUD which is good but then shipping on top of that, I know the Canadian part has been super popular so if you're like me and wanted an authentic RHD version, here's your heads up.

Brimstone103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:36 PM   #2
Psilox

Drives: Nothing yet!
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I assume you're replacing the head unit as well then so it fits? I've been trying to figure out what the best replacement head unit that will fit the Canadian one-piece here in the US...
Psilox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:53 PM   #3
Brimstone103

Drives: my17 BRZ WRB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psilox View Post
I assume you're replacing the head unit as well then so it fits? I've been trying to figure out what the best replacement head unit that will fit the Canadian one-piece here in the US...
I am replacing it, I don't believe the model is in the US but I'm going with the Kenwood DDX916WS as it's extra wide to fill the gap and is plug and play with the wiring looms inc steering wheel controls.
Brimstone103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 12:27 AM   #4
Psilox

Drives: Nothing yet!
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimstone103 View Post
I am replacing it, I don't believe the model is in the US but I'm going with the Kenwood DDX916WS as it's extra wide to fill the gap and is plug and play with the wiring looms inc steering wheel controls.
Very cool, I'll take a look and see if there are similar models in the US market.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
Psilox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:16 AM   #5
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psilox View Post
I think most if not all of the aftermarket double din units will fit perfectly fine. Some might be smaller because I've seen some aftermarket pieces for filling a gap on the sides.

I'd measure mine for you but I only go to my car on the weekends.
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:12 PM   #6
Byza

Drives: 2017 86 GTS
Can you update us with how you go programming the unit to work with the steering wheel controls?

Carbon Car Systems have a good youtube vid with install directions but they don't have the SWC.

I've got a MY17 86 GTS on order and I'm considering this headunit.
Byza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:11 PM   #7
ziogref

Drives: WRB MY17 BRZ
I got the same headunit and trim piece and I will be installing it in a couple of days. From my understanding, this head unit was designed for Toyota's and has all the Toyota adapters in the box. From what I have found out (without playing with it) Kenwood has already done all the work and it should just work, no configuring. I believe the SWC are a Toyota Technology.

Not sure if I can link to reddit, but if you look up my name on reddit in a couple of days I will make a post on how the install of the head unit goes and any quirks I hit.
ziogref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:42 AM   #8
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Is this available for RHD cars, too?

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags