follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 09-10-2014, 07:23 PM   #1
SVTSHC
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Need speaker suggestions!

Hello Gentlemen,

Looking for a bit of advice on speakers. Realistically I'm looking for a few suggestions.

First and foremost I want to say that I really like my music. I listen to just about everything so I'm definitely looking for some speakers with great sound quality throughout all ranges. I had my eye on some Infinity kappa's but from what I understand the bass isn't great on them (I know they're door speakers and theres only so much you can do without a sub).

Here's the tricky part. If I can avoid it I'd rather not have a sub and enclosure taking up trunk space. So if anyone can pitch some suggestions my way I'd greatly appreciate it.

P.S. I know I'll probably get some "DID YOU LOOK AT THE BUILD THREADS?!" or "TRY USING THE SEARCH FUNCTION" responses. I did take a look at them but what I'm looking for are some quality suggestions from some of the more experienced sound guys. I've got my head on straight technically and all but I don't have much product knowledge when it comes to speakers.

Thanks in advanced

"Sweet Subaru, sweet Subaru, send your BRZ unto me, for the roads of the unworthy must be baptized in speed and glory." ~Zaku
SVTSHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:12 PM   #2
SubieNubie

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've been comparing and reading reviews the past week or so trying to figure out what I wanted in my build. I was shooting for components in the $200 range that are comfortable being powered but an Alpine KTP-445U, due to keeping a stock look. I end up settling on JBL MS-62c. Alpine and JL Audio components seem like they play well at lower frequencies.

Last edited by SubieNubie; 09-11-2014 at 09:37 PM. Reason: JBL MS-62c was Image Dynamics CTX-6.5cs
SubieNubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:42 PM   #3
WhiteFRS69

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,432 Times in 756 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
i have the Alpine SPR-60C and i enjoy them, they have some really nice highs but not enough lows to them

i also added an Alpine Type S 10' SWS-10D2 subwooder to the mix,
im not the kind if person that i like to draw the attention to, i dont want to be that guy you hear coming down the street blasting bass!!

overall i like this set up, i dont have anything else to compare it to other than stock, which i do have to say, sounds so much better!

heres my sub box, still leaves PLENTY of space in the trunk
http://customsubenclosures.com/produ...fer-enclosure/

im no expert when it comes to this stuff
WhiteFRS69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:53 PM   #4
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
So I'm not done perfecting mine yet. that said Ill tell you about my setup

parts:
Pioneer avh-5600bhs
Alpine ktp-445u
infinity
kappa 62.11i
REF-075tx
REF-3002cfx
REF-4002cfx
JL Audio PWM110-JXWXv2

I powered the REF-3&4002cfx off the HU front and back respectively.
the back is 4in but the REF-4002cfx does not fit without cutting the stock bracket. The REF-3002cfx I wired 600hz bass blockers to, intent being to make it primarily a voice speaker.

Ran the kappa 62.11i and the REF-075tx off the alpine ktp-445u, ran new wire for the tweeters into the stock location. notes on the ktp-445u. run it in 2 ch mode, with speaker level input on the front only to avoid impedance issues. in 2 ch mode the front signal will be sent to the 'rear' channel. product documentation indicates to not turn gain greater than 9oclock position on speaker level input. I currently have mine at tick 1 (7:30?).

comments:
clarity is good, thinking about wiring bass blockers into the rear as well.
People said that it would be to many tweeters, it doesn't seem to be to my ears, the highs are not piercing, espec compared to the harse stock tweeter.
The front stock setup wires 2 4 ohm speakers in parallel, which divides the power and makes it difficult to make the speakers work to their full potential, espec off HU power. Most people solve this by removing one of the speakers.
the JL Audio PWM110-JXWXv2 is freaking awesome. I use mine with a pac audio bass knob. very satisfying to be able to crank it up when I put the back seat up.

Hope this expositional onslaught was of some use.
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:57 PM   #5
woode
Boosted Member

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via MSN to woode
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTSHC View Post
Hello Gentlemen,

Looking for a bit of advice on speakers. Realistically I'm looking for a few suggestions.

First and foremost I want to say that I really like my music. I listen to just about everything so I'm definitely looking for some speakers with great sound quality throughout all ranges. I had my eye on some Infinity kappa's but from what I understand the bass isn't great on them (I know they're door speakers and theres only so much you can do without a sub).

Here's the tricky part. If I can avoid it I'd rather not have a sub and enclosure taking up trunk space. So if anyone can pitch some suggestions my way I'd greatly appreciate it.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55014

That is what I did to get around the sub-taking-up-trunk-space issue.
2010 Subaru Impreza WRX PRM SSM
woode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:05 PM   #6
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
A single 8" sun in a corner enclosure takes minimal space ad would make a substantial impact on the bass and sub bass freqs.

Speakers are only a part of the equation, have you considered amplification or DSP/head units?

You can equate good speakers to good tires, good amplification to good suspension, and good chassis to good DSP.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:19 AM   #7
aznatama

Drives: 2014 BRZ MT (Sold); 2006 V70R
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Personally, I'm looking at a decent 3-way to replace factory 3-way... then just adding a
2-ch amp in the factory amp location, and then running some cheap coax rears off the head unit once I upgrade my HU.

I'm in the same boat as you, as I like my music, but no need for sub. Having mid-woofer in door seems to be not the best location, as I'd rather have the mids in the factor location. Wiring will be a pain though.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:04 AM   #8
CamryDS

Drives: 2003 Camry Blue | 2013 FR-S White
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTSHC View Post
Hello Gentlemen,

P.S. I know I'll probably get some "DID YOU LOOK AT THE BUILD THREADS?!" or "TRY USING THE SEARCH FUNCTION" responses. I did take a look at them but what I'm looking for are some quality suggestions from some of the more experienced sound guys. I've got my head on straight technically and all but I don't have much product knowledge when it comes to speakers.

Thanks in advanced

In this case, do look at my build thread -- I have a sub enclosure that takes up only .5 cubicft in my trunk -- the little corner on the passenger side of the car.

I have an entire passive system for sale if you're up to buy it -- this system includes amp that is tucked up under the rear deck of the car you can barely notice it as well as a custom enclosure.

comes with 2 illusion audio c6 midbass speakers that pretty much do all the work.
CamryDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:16 AM   #9
shiro

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2014 Lexus IS350
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
There are many options out there and a lot go good systems. The route I went is a little different than most people and probably cost a lot more than just spending time and making custom mounts/brackets. I decided to use OEM Audio+ speakers and DSP for the main sound set up and added two Alpine Type-Rs for the base. System sounds sick and I am pretty proud of how loud it goes since loud, clear, and high quality music is important to me. But this is what I have set up in my car at the moment. I hope to build a thread on it at some point.

-Stock pioneer headunit
-OEM Audio+ Reference series DSP w/ upgrade
-2 10" Alpine SWR-1023D subwoofers
-2 10" Integrity Concepts custom subwoofer enclosures w/ Hot Lava paint
-Alpine 1100w MRX-M110 amp
-Rockford Fosgate RFC10HB 10 farad Hybrid Digital Capacitor
-Kicker dual amp installation kit
-Girlfriend (SOLD =P)

Unfortunately I don't have larger pictures of my car at work but here are some small shots from my "garage" page.

Name:  4386t.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  3.1 KB
Name:  4388t.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  2.5 KB
shiro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shiro For This Useful Post:
Integrity Concepts (04-21-2015)
Old 09-11-2014, 10:41 AM   #10
SquidyTweak

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ-L
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Haven't seen anyone else do this yet, but aside from my half a$$ed attempt to dress it up I'm pleased with the results

Backseat was useless for me anyway, leaves one backseat for emergencies and the trunk folds flat.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
SquidyTweak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 11:03 AM   #11
Cockatoo
TALLY FT86

Drives: 2014 FR-S Monogram -- SBD Turbo --
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidyTweak View Post
Haven't seen anyone else do this yet, but aside from my half a$$ed attempt to dress it up I'm pleased with the results

Backseat was useless for me anyway, leaves one backseat for emergencies and the trunk folds flat.

Thats pretty smart.... hows it sound back there? Fiberglass?
Cockatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 11:26 AM   #12
SquidyTweak

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ-L
JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001UDIGAC"]JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3:Amazon:Car Electronics[/ame]

Alpine MRV-M500
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BMR7UPS"]MRV-M500:Amazon:Car Electronics[/ame]

I removed to rear seat bottom, wired up the power to the amp, tapped into the rear stock amp for line signal and used Velcro strips to attache the amp to the seat floor.

The sub box fits over top of the amp, strapped in using ratchet straps (for safety in case of accident). Then covered everything with fabric and foam underneath. Last part could use some refining.

Sounds great to me, really fills in the sound and can be heard outside the car if you push it. Also seems to sound louder/deeper with the seats down or windows down, probably due to more air volume.

SquidyTweak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 11:32 AM   #13
harkbrz

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2013
Some high end focals and you'll be laughing.. but then crying when you realize how much you just spent.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:40 AM   #14
shiro

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2014 Lexus IS350
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidyTweak View Post

Smart idea and very innovative. The back seat is pretty much useless unless using it for cargo/storage lol. Nice build.
shiro is offline   Reply With Quote