follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List
Pat.Thornton

Old 11-07-2016, 02:00 PM   #547
FR-Sky

Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 series [755]
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Ok, So my squeak sound started to happen today, this morning. @@
It has a tiny squeak sound push in and out, not noticeable unless I am fully stop and music off.
Its gone after a 30mins drive to work tho. Is there something I need to worry about @@?
FR-Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 05:16 PM   #548
carsebuco
How do I shift?

Drives: '13 GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So, I keep thinking my issue is relevant to this thread but some of the things people mention here don't really apply to me... so here it goes

- Noise: high screech
- Noise happens at: idle, neutral, parking break on, cold start
- Also at: Driving a little then leaving in neutral (traffic lights)
- After dropping the clutch (still learning how to drive stick, thought I don't ride it)
- Usually gets lower the higher the gear is (disappears at around 4th gear)
- To stop noise: engage clutch (not kidding, it only happens if clutch is not engaged)
- Shifting has NOT been affected (car still drives as usual)
- when turning left or right, I hear a low, resonance sound

Video:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q64eDqTTWQ"]2013 BRZ Screeching at Idle - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by carsebuco; 11-08-2016 at 06:20 PM.
carsebuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 05:53 PM   #549
SLVRSRFR

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT, 2007 WRX Wagon 5MT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsebuco View Post
So, I keep thinking my issue is relevant to this thread but some of the things people mention here don't really apply to me... so here it goes

- After dropping the clutch (still learning how to drive stick, thought I don't ride it)
- To stop noise: engage clutch (not kidding, it only happens if clutch is not engaged)

Videos:

(coming soon, can't access youtube here)
If it's a screech and not a quick squeak (if that even makes sense), and it's constant, I would get your throw-out bearing checked just to be sure.

Lubrication issues, based on my reading, would only give you a short "squeak" sound when the pedal is moved in or out, but would not be constant.

Throw-out bearing issues, on the other hand, would give a constant screech or squeal sound.

For about a week or 2 before my throw-out bearing gave out, I had the squeal under the same conditions as you; cold start, car in neutral, engine idling. It would come and go for a bit and then would stop once the car was warmed up. I thought nothing of it, because it would go away and the car still drove fine, and then within 2 weeks of that, my throw-out bearing seized.

Better safe than sorry!
Old 11-08-2016, 06:22 PM   #550
carsebuco
How do I shift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVRSRFR View Post
If it's a screech and not a quick squeak (if that even makes sense), and it's constant, I would get your throw-out bearing checked just to be sure.

Lubrication issues, based on my reading, would only give you a short "squeak" sound when the pedal is moved in or out, but would not be constant.

Throw-out bearing issues, on the other hand, would give a constant screech or squeal sound.

For about a week or 2 before my throw-out bearing gave out, I had the squeal under the same conditions as you; cold start, car in neutral, engine idling. It would come and go for a bit and then would stop once the car was warmed up. I thought nothing of it, because it would go away and the car still drove fine, and then within 2 weeks of that, my throw-out bearing seized.

Better safe than sorry!
I took it to this guy who's actually gonna look at it on Thursday and he said just from the sound it's TOB. However, I still posted the video for you guys on my previous post.

Now, if it is the TOB, how much are we talking about here? I looked it up and some people say might as well replace the whole clutch, but I'm not feeling that rich just yet.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:22 PM   #551
Oxyg3n

Drives: 2017 BRZ - WRB
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

Better safe than sorry!
I hope it's not throw out bearing because I get a constant screech, definitely not a quick squeak, when letting off the clutch almost the whole way since my car only had like 400 miles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Oxyg3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 07:00 PM   #552
SLVRSRFR

Quote:
I took it to this guy who's actually gonna look at it on Thursday and he said just from the sound it's TOB. However, I still posted the video for you guys on my previous post.

Now, if it is the TOB, how much are we talking about here? I looked it up and some people say might as well replace the whole clutch, but I'm not feeling that rich just yet.
Depends.

Some people do suggest changing the clutch at the same time, because it's a LOT of labor to get in there, and if you're going to be forced to foot the bill for the TOB (if not covered under warranty), the logic says you may as well change the clutch while they're in there to save yourself the future labor cost of having to open it up all over again.

That being said, as mentioned earlier in this thread, I got lucky and somehow got my throw-out bearing and pressure plate (which was damaged when the TOB seized) FULLY covered under the power-train warranty. I should mention that I had a few inside connections at this particular dealership that were able to pull some strings for me, and got it done. I walked out with an invoice with a big fat zero at the bottom, and a brand-new throw-out bearing and pressure plate.

I don't know if this is even an option for you because I don't know if you're still under warranty, but if you are, it never hurts to try. I was fully expecting to be staring down the barrel of a $1000+ repair bill, so you can imagine what a relief it was when I got the call to say it was covered.

They gave me the option to do the clutch while they were in there, but told me it's still at about 60%, and because I didn't have to pay for anything this time, I opted to not do it. I'm at 84k (kilometres) so I only have 16k left on the power-train warranty. If my clutch is actually at 60% (and I trust these guys so I believe it to be), then I should get at least another 50k out of it, at which time I will be out of warranty, and would probably opt to go aftermarket.

That being said, a friend of mine is a mechanic at a Subaru dealership (not the one I took my car to), and even he didn't expect them to cover it under warranty. He said that all said and done, with a new clutch kit, my bill would be in the $1200-$1500 range (Canadian).

*EDIT* I just watched your video and that's exactly what my car sounded like in the weeks leading up to the TOB failure.

Last edited by SLVRSRFR; 11-08-2016 at 07:14 PM.
SLVRSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 07:02 PM   #553
SLVRSRFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxyg3n View Post
I hope it's not throw out bearing because I get a constant screech, definitely not a quick squeak, when letting off the clutch almost the whole way since my car only had like 400 miles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
On a 2017?! They still haven't fixed this issue even on the new cars??

I would take it back in ASAP. When mine seized, I was able to limp the car to the dealer, and it didn't cause much collateral damage (just the pressure plate), but I've read other stories where the throw-out bearing failure can cause other damage to the clutch components and render the car undriveable.

Watch the video above and see if that sounds like yours. Either way, your car is new and I would take it back right away before it gets worse and causes more issues.
Old 11-08-2016, 07:10 PM   #554
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:

Video:

That's your TOB. Replace it now before it seizes and ruins the rest of your clutch.
Old 11-09-2016, 03:12 AM   #555
Oxyg3n

Drives: 2017 BRZ - WRB
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
On a 2017?! They still haven't fixed this issue even on the new cars??

I would take it back in ASAP. When mine seized, I was able to limp the car to the dealer, and it didn't cause much collateral damage (just the pressure plate), but I've read other stories where the throw-out bearing failure can cause other damage to the clutch components and render the car undriveable.

Watch the video above and see if that sounds like yours. Either way, your car is new and I would take it back right away before it gets worse and causes more issues.
Ok so I watched the video and it's absolutely not what I'm describing. I'm thinking mine is just literally a pedal squeak which still doesn't seem normal since it started when the car was basically brand new.
It is very annoying since it makes the pedal feel crunchy which in turn messes with my shifts due to bad clutch engagement feel.

Here's a vid, anyone with this problem had a fix?
Oxyg3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:38 PM   #556
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxyg3n View Post
Ok so I watched the video and it's absolutely not what I'm describing. I'm thinking mine is just literally a pedal squeak which still doesn't seem normal since it started when the car was basically brand new.
It is very annoying since it makes the pedal feel crunchy which in turn messes with my shifts due to bad clutch engagement feel.

Here's a vid, anyone with this problem had a fix?
That is odd. I wonder if there isn't something wrong with the delay valve on the master cylinder. New sound for me. Warranty work?
Old 11-09-2016, 03:10 PM   #557
vicenteqq

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
not sure if this is relevant to anyone. subaru replaced my clutch, tob and plates at 18k. im currently at 24k and there has been no signs of creaking coming back. i have a '14.
vicenteqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 02:50 PM   #558
carsebuco
How do I shift?

So I got a couple of quotes for TOB or just replacing the whole clutch (800$ for TOB or 1.2k$ for the whole clutch) but I'm not sure I want him to pick the clutch for me. Any recommendations that have a manufacturer warranty in case it goes to chit? I figure I just replace the whole thing right now instead of paying another 1k down the road. My brz is sitting at 45k miles.

By the way, does a new clutch kit come with a TOB?
Old 11-11-2016, 02:56 PM   #559
SLVRSRFR

Quote:

By the way, does a new clutch kit come with a TOB?
I don't believe so.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:16 PM   #560
Odd
#

Drives: DGM BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicenteqq View Post
not sure if this is relevant to anyone. subaru replaced my clutch, tob and plates at 18k. im currently at 24k and there has been no signs of creaking coming back. i have a '14.
Add me to the club -

2014, 24k, clutch, TOB, fuel pump (#3) getting replaced under EXTENDED warranty (Gold plus?)
Odd is offline   Reply With Quote