follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

View Poll Results: Which style should I go for?
Style A 9 14.75%
Style B 0 0%
Style C 6 9.84%
Go home ricer, ur drunk 46 75.41%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 09:10 PM   #43
woode
Boosted Member

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via MSN to woode
I'll address your five points then;

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
1] Mock the JDM Shoshinsha/Wakaba badges people have which mean the same thing.
Mocking something that is stupid..

2] These signs in English are a thing in Japan like how they rebadge "Toyota 86" to "Scion FR-S." My car with JDM parts trying to be USDM will make it even more genuinely JDM.
Again, stupid.. ricer.. whatever you want to call it.

3] Removable/reusable so I can put them on/take them off as I please.
Take them off and throw them in the trash. Poor car..

4] Drivers on the road will space themselves from me, creating an invisible bubble.
LOL! Not sure if serious..

5] Even the best pro race drivers constantly learn to perfect their driving technique. We're all students of driving, especially in a car purpose built to teach us how to drive.
Yes, everybody has room for improvement. No, this car was not purpose built to teach us how to drive. No, a sticker on the side will not help anybody learn anything other than how dumb your car looks.

Con: Tacky - may draw unwanted attention.
Well, at least we agree on one thing.
2010 Subaru Impreza WRX PRM SSM
Old 03-29-2014, 09:21 PM   #44
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
^best non-answers evar
Old 03-29-2014, 09:36 PM   #45
CoupedUpSubie

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
So, have you ever actually been to Japan? I spent a month in Sasebo, Japan and did not see this once. If it was a thing in Japan I would have seen it at least once. It might also help to post a picture of these student driver signs in Japanese that people are putting in their cars, because I have no clue what you are talking about.

Nobody is going to seriously address your 5 points because this thread is a joke.
1993 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
The Following User Says Thank You to CoupedUpSubie For This Useful Post:
woode (03-30-2014)
Old 03-29-2014, 09:46 PM   #46
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

I'm mostly interested in the Style A, B, or C votes. I see A is leading C which is interesting (I thought it'd be the other way around). I created the 4th option partly out of my curiosity but mostly to appease the inevitable drones by giving them an option so they can STFU.

Now I'm concerned that people aren't voicing their *constructive* opinions because the single-minded have turned this into a hostile thread.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:48 PM   #47
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Just put the sticker on your car and post pics already
Old 03-29-2014, 09:55 PM   #48
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupedUpSubie View Post
So, have you ever actually been to Japan? I spent a month in Sasebo, Japan and did not see this once. If it was a thing in Japan I would have seen it at least once. It might also help to post a picture of these student driver signs in Japanese that people are putting in their cars, because I have no clue what you are talking about.
My brother's been. I originally had no idea Japan did this. I was just telling my brother my idea to mock the Wakaba leaf. Then he responded by saying he's seen the Japanese do this with American signs. He's not into cars and I'm not sure where he saw it. But he's into Japan culture and catches wind of obscure trends through reddit before the general masses do (wouldn't be surprised if it were somewhere on reddit).
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupedUpSubie View Post
Nobody is going to seriously address your 5 points because this thread is a joke.
Completely OT. Never asked for an opinion on whether this thread is a joke.

Last edited by switchlanez; 03-29-2014 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:29 PM   #49
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
Now I'm concerned that people aren't voicing their *constructive* opinions because the single-minded have turned this into a hostile thread.
or maybe there's no more constructive opinions to be had.. i voted for the 4th option because "i think it's dumb and a waste of money" wasn't an option.
woode (03-30-2014)
Old 03-29-2014, 11:47 PM   #50
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
I'd be concerned about how it looks to a cop, or really anyone. Student drivers can't drive by themselves. They need a teacher. So someone sees this on your car and notices you're alone. They might be suspicious about that.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:48 PM   #51
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
or maybe there's no more constructive opinions to be had.. i voted for the 4th option because "i think it's dumb and a waste of money" wasn't an option.
Sorry I failed to accommodate with a redundant crap option. Perhaps you should go start your own rage thread?

So the first two repliers weren't hostile. Then flamers stepped in. Then 11 people voted for options 1 and 3 but none of them dared post among the flames. Funny how those who are neutral/proponents use more respectable language, whereas, those who think these are douchey signs are using douchey language themselves. What is the source of all your emotional backlash? The hate/insecurity is strong with these ones.

Last edited by switchlanez; 03-29-2014 at 11:59 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:53 PM   #52
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
I'd be concerned about how it looks to a cop, or really anyone. Student drivers can't drive by themselves. They need a teacher. So someone sees this on your car and notices you're alone. They might be suspicious about that.
Right, I wasn't sure how this would sit with the law but, AFAIK, it's a 1st Amendment right. And a mild one at that compared to stickers with cussing, political/religious slander, or testicle tailgates.

Related note: Anybody who drives their tinted 86 at night is using stickers in a worse offense (impeding their night vision) but I don't recall any flaming in those threads.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:02 AM   #53
campy
No rice, no life

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Thanked 1,019 Times in 388 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Why are people getting so outraged about this? I'd rather see more uncommon cosmetic mods instead of the usual tints, black wheels, and lowering springs that everyone else on the planet does. Stop looking for internet approval from people who are too shy to do anything outside of the usual formula for their cars.

Your car man, put whatever you want on it. I'm guessing you were thinking of something like the Super Speeders Corvette?

Old 03-30-2014, 12:07 AM   #54
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Why does it say Elie Tahari across the back of the vette? What possible sponsorship could a budget fashion designer have for a track car?

And the difference here is that is a track car. If I saw an FR-S on the road with student driver on the back I'd think it was a spoiled teenager whose parents bought him a shiny toy he doesn't know how to use. It's one thing to be an inside joke in the race car scene, but if you're not actually in a race car then you're not in on the joke and it's just dumb.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:25 AM   #55
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
Why does it say Elie Tahari across the back of the vette? What possible sponsorship could a budget fashion designer have for a track car?

And the difference here is that is a track car. If I saw an FR-S on the road with student driver on the back I'd think it was a spoiled teenager whose parents bought him a shiny toy he doesn't know how to use. It's one thing to be an inside joke in the race car scene, but if you're not actually in a race car then you're not in on the joke and it's just dumb.
People can accept it on a track car because it's been done before but if it's on an 86 they lose their minds. Those minds aren't mendable enough to think past convention. The reasoning on a track car is 1-dimensional irony whereas the reasoning on my car would be multi-dimensional (discussed in OP).

If it's a completely stock FR-S with the signs, maybe that wouldn't fly. But I've got some JDM mods that can *maybe* make sense with it. People in the know will completely get it and the ignorant will be completely confused or give me some space. I'm still toying with the idea.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:28 AM   #56
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
But you're the only person that gets the joke. Everyone around you thinks you're just another kid who can't drive. So you're laughing at your joke, but you're the only one.

It's stupid on track cars too, but it's a little more obvious of a joke, since those drivers are usually very very good.
The Following User Says Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
Formula Vee (03-30-2014)

Closed Thread