follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 02-08-2014, 08:47 PM   #1
2JZ-GTE
What license?!

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Talking question ......about turbo charging frs

HI all !!

I wanted to buy a Scion FRS/Subaru BRZ as my daily driver but i just wanted a little bit more horsepower... probably making roughly 300~350

Sooo..i read about all the turbo kits on this forums and its quite expensive, was wondering if i buy parts separately will that cost less? but more trouble because of the piping size :c

please give me suggestions or which turbo kit is better(worth) to get.
Thanks!!!!
2JZ-GTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:04 PM   #2
Gaiseric

Drives: 2012 Scion TC
If you were to buy each part separately, you might save money if you find deals for cheap pieces but why...? You are going to have such a hard time getting those random parts to fit that it wont even be worth any money you might save... which I doubt you really would.

Avo has a cheap turbo kit that seems to be quite popular. I personally like PTuning's kit but its pricey.

Buy a kit, the companies did all the fabrication to make sure all the parts on their kits fit and work safely plus, you're not going to destroy your keyboard when random parts you bought to try to make a turbo kit to save money don't fit and you come on here to complain or ask for help.
Gaiseric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:41 PM   #3
2JZ-GTE
What license?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaiseric View Post
If you were to buy each part separately, you might save money if you find deals for cheap pieces but why...? You are going to have such a hard time getting those random parts to fit that it wont even be worth any money you might save... which I doubt you really would.

Avo has a cheap turbo kit that seems to be quite popular. I personally like PTuning's kit but its pricey.

Buy a kit, the companies did all the fabrication to make sure all the parts on their kits fit and work safely plus, you're not going to destroy your keyboard when random parts you bought to try to make a turbo kit to save money don't fit and you come on here to complain or ask for help.
Alright ill look into both of the turbo kits, considering the price and the amount of power it can put down
Thanks
Old 02-09-2014, 10:18 AM   #4
that_guy
Dances with Cones

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Cheap...Fast...Reliable.

Pick 2.

No offense, but coming to a forum, asking others how to make a car faster for less, and then being concerned about reliability is a recipe for disaster. The expensive kits are expensive because they have been tested to the end of the world and back, and show reliable power.

You get what you pay for. If the car is not fast enough for you and your not willing to spend the money to see it be a reliable daily car with more power, then I would suggest either saving your pennies or shopping something else. Your opening up a big can of worms if you don't.
The Following User Says Thank You to that_guy For This Useful Post:
AznKirby (02-10-2014)
Old 02-09-2014, 10:31 AM   #5
protpibe

Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Once you get close to the 300whp threshold, you're now talking fuel upgrades and a new clutch, so if you're on a budget you may want to lower your expectations.

If you want reliable hp with a 350whp ceiling, get the AVO kit.

If you want more than that, go with the Full Blown setup.

There's also the P-Tuning and JDL setups which have a huge range in terms of pricing and power.

Honestly though, turbocharging an N/A vehicle and cheap do not go hand in hand. Like, at all. I just bought the AVO kit last month which retails for about $4,400 USD. After supporting mods, ECUTEK setup and licensing, tune, etc, I'm probably close to $7,000 USD. (Turbo kit, boost gauge, afr gauge, oil temp/pressure gauge, over pipe/frontpipe/catback, ecutek cable + license, air filter, bov, tune, etc). And that's only the cost of parts. Factor in about 20 hours of labor to install all of that
Old 02-09-2014, 11:25 AM   #6
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
Cheap...Fast...Reliable.

Pick 2.

No offense, but coming to a forum, asking others how to make a car faster for less, and then being concerned about reliability is a recipe for disaster. The expensive kits are expensive because they have been tested to the end of the world and back, and show reliable power.

You get what you pay for. If the car is not fast enough for you and your not willing to spend the money to see it be a reliable daily car with more power, then I would suggest either saving your pennies or shopping something else. Your opening up a big can of worms if you don't.
Just BECAUSE a kit is more expensive does not guarantee is has been more thoroughly tested or better quality. That's why like anything else you must do your research. It is ridiculous to assume that spending more is a guarantee of anything. The web is a good research tool. Just a reminder from your friendly consumer advocate
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:49 AM   #7
headlikeahole

Drives: Ultramarine toyobaru
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
You want 350 hp in a daily driver and are worried about money...

You're not just talking about a turbo kit, as a dd you'll eventually be looking at new drivetrain components from front to back. The kit itself will be maybe 50% of the total cost of actually running the car over time.
headlikeahole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to headlikeahole For This Useful Post:
wparsons (02-09-2014)
Old 02-09-2014, 04:50 PM   #8
2JZ-GTE
What license?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
Cheap...Fast...Reliable.

Pick 2.

first of all isnt that what car forums for? you have a question you ask someone who has experienced in? if not why is there Supraforums FT86/FRS forums?

And no,im just simply asking which kit is worth to get with the price, if you could get something that makes more power with less money WHY NOT?
for example the vortech kit cost 5.6K but the intercooler pipe is so close to the frame rail, so all im trying to do is to find the best kit with reasonable price tag thats all!!
Old 02-09-2014, 04:58 PM   #9
protpibe

Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Go to the Forced Induction forum:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78

It has threads for all the turbo/sc kits. They are full of opinions and quirks for all of the different kits from the point of view of people who actually own the kits.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:00 PM   #10
2JZ-GTE
What license?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
Just BECAUSE a kit is more expensive does not guarantee is has been more thoroughly tested or better quality. That's why like anything else you must do your research. It is ridiculous to assume that spending more is a guarantee of anything. The web is a good research tool. Just a reminder from your friendly consumer advocate
Yea, the kit might be more expensive due to the brand like some Japanese one they only makes roughly 70~80 horsepower and cost $500 ~800 MORE!
the concept that spending more money is better is pretty stupid i get that sometimes its right but in this case probably not.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:00 PM   #11
2JZ-GTE
What license?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by protpibe View Post
Go to the Forced Induction forum:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78

It has threads for all the turbo/sc kits. They are full of opinions and quirks for all of the different kits from the point of view of people who actually own the kits.
thanks ill look into it
Old 02-09-2014, 08:05 PM   #12
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JZ-GTE View Post
Yea, the kit might be more expensive due to the brand like some Japanese one they only makes roughly 70~80 horsepower and cost $500 ~800 MORE!
the concept that spending more money is better is pretty stupid i get that sometimes its right but in this case probably not.
Depends on how you define better, is it more output the better, or higher quality components and precision engineering the better?

If you've owned Japanese products during the Bubble Era and understand that their domestic market does not tolerate anything slightly less than ideal quality control even to this day, then you will most likely always end up with the designed and made in Japan piece of kit which usually translates to a higher price (without even taking into account the cost of importing it).

BTW I've read that for the 86, Toyota established a program with the JDM aftermarket tuners to ensure that their parts are tested and meet a certain level of quality compliant with some Toyota standard, to mitigate the number of crappy parts on the market.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:22 PM   #13
2JZ-GTE
What license?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
Depends on how you define better, is it more output the better, or higher quality components and precision engineering the better?

If you've owned Japanese products during the Bubble Era and understand that their domestic market does not tolerate anything slightly less than ideal quality control even to this day, then you will most likely always end up with the designed and made in Japan piece of kit which usually translates to a higher price (without even taking into account the cost of importing it).

BTW I've read that for the 86, Toyota established a program with the JDM aftermarket tuners to ensure that their parts are tested and meet a certain level of quality compliant with some Toyota standard, to mitigate the number of crappy parts on the market.
I do konw that Japanese makes everything perfect and good quality but the price tho...its little bit ehhhhhh...yea

And why didnt NA Toyota do that too?? NA has pretty big community for tuners too !
Old 02-10-2014, 09:19 AM   #14
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
if you have to ask whether you'll save money buying your own parts, then the answer is a most definite no.

part of the cost of "kits" (and as was mentioned, good kits) is that THEY went through the trouble of figuring out the right mounting locations for the pipes, their length and bend angles. THey also went through the trouble of figuring out how to the run the cooling lines. Not to mention the engine management modificaiton you'll need to ensure the engine lasts more than 500km.

if you were to do all this yourself without knowing what you're actually doing, you'll spend 3 times and probably end up with a broken engine in the end

otherwise you wouldn't be asking this in the first place.

so just don't

i know many people that have back-yarded their turbo projects, 9/10 of them didn't last more than a month or two without something critical breaking.

they show up to autocrosses and track days and gather a crowd that ooohs and ahhhs, then by the end of the day they're limping home cuz something went poof.

i personally know only one person that put together his own reliable FI setup, it took him a long time to do it, and he did it in stages, and spent a lot of money, and had a lot of help.

so just buy a kit and dont turn the knob to 11.

Last edited by 7thgear; 02-10-2014 at 09:47 AM.
7thgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 7thgear For This Useful Post:
IronSean (02-11-2014), krayzie (02-10-2014), wparsons (02-10-2014)